Since the upgrade yesterday

billd766

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is back now on 20 October.

Thank you for your hard work, Crossy.

I had never noticed it before, never mind used it. 🤣 Thanks for bringing it to my attention as it is certainly a very convenient function.   

• Like 1

Just now, Wobblybob said:

I don't always get notifications of my chosen 'follow' preferences since the upgrade, does anyone else have this problem?

Have found you will not get any notification of a page you have open - only notation of new replies (which you don't see if viewing another tab).

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have found you will not get any notification of a page you have open - only notation of new replies (which you don't see if viewing another tab).

Why would you expect to get a notfication of a "page you have open"? Not sure I understand your question?

29 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I don't always get notifications of my chosen 'follow' preferences since the upgrade, does anyone else have this problem?

I can not reproduce this issue. Can you please explain in detail?

6 hours ago, george said:

Thanks for the reply George.

When I scroll down the page of topics I notice that there are new posts to which I'm following but there hasn't been any notifications given to myself. It happens more often than not, I have to log on to the last message and scroll up to find the new messages warning, but I did get a notification from yourself on this thread on the little bell at the top of the page. 🥴

4 minutes ago, george said:

If I am viewing this thread in a tab will get normal new replies on screen but will not get a notification of a new post at tope of forum.  Believe we still got notification of a new post previously.  Not an issue if actually looking at thread but if leave to another browser window getting no notification a new post can miss as often return and go elsewhere - but understand if open software likely believe no notification is needed.  Just do not believe this happened prior to this upgrade.  Nothing earthshaking.

6 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Thanks for the reply George.

When I scroll down the page of topics I notice that there are new posts to which I'm following but there hasn't been any notifications given to myself. It happens more often than not, I have to log on to the last message and scroll up to find the new messages warning, but I did get a notification from yourself on this thread on the little bell at the top of the page. 🥴

I left this page and I noticed 3 notifications on the bell, I viewed the first one and then clicked on the notification bell to view the other two and they had vanished.

23 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I left this page and I noticed 3 notifications on the bell, I viewed the first one and then clicked on the notification bell to view the other two and they had vanished.

That is normal operation - once you click on bell all new notifications are in bold but once you leave all are set to viewed - you have to go to lowest (first) bold notification and remember what is was and then work back to top.  Software believes you have viewed all messages once bell is clicked.

Mine do not vanish. I have to delete all.

aThe bolded notices are not changing to normal text either after viewing and clicking on the bell again.

iPad OS, latest version 16

Firefox browser, latest.

1 minute ago, degrub said:

Mine do not vanish. I have to delete all.

aThe bolded notices are not changing to normal text either after viewing and clicking on the bell again.

iPad OS, latest version 16

Firefox browser, latest.

They do not delete unless you manually do so - but on Chrome they do lose bold once you leave and go back - although there does not appear to be as much difference between normal and bold now (but perhaps that is my dark screen settings).

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They do not delete unless you manually do so - but on Chrome they do lose bold once you leave and go back - although there does not appear to be as much difference between normal and bold now (but perhaps that is my dark screen settings).

I'm following this discussion.

I could open a support ticket if you guys can produce a screenshot or two, describing the issue. 🙏🏼

1 hour ago, george said:

I'm following this discussion.

I could open a support ticket if you guys can produce a screenshot or two, describing the issue. 🙏🏼

Issue seems to have been resolved - that of not getting bell notification.  A better procedure with bell notification might be to click on each to remove bold - as it is not if you click on any they all turn bold off so you have to remember which others you have not read.  Below is how bold looks on my screen - OK but does not seem the same contrast as before.

image.png.b4f8be266ed14031212de1d22f70e7c4.png

• Like 1

A better example with 2 bell notifications indicated - if I click on ChaiyaTH notification bell will no longer indicate any unread and remove the bold from both ChaiyaTH and LiverpoolLou notifications.  But this is how it has always worked - just not logical or helpful for readers.

image.png.b36d3c14e3ea93eff3c5d7b951db315a.png

Edited by lopburi3

Why no more posts/reactions. This is nonsence. What is the logic to this. Basically disenfranchises all long term contributors to this forum. I think it's shameful. Anyone can post hundreds of posts but it's the reactions to these posts where one can tell the varacity of said posts, eg 10,000 posts 400 reactions.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Why no more posts/reactions. This is nonsence. What is the logic to this. Basically disenfranchises all long term contributors to this forum. I think it's shameful. Anyone can post hundreds of posts but it's the reactions to these posts where one can tell the varacity of said posts, eg 10,000 posts 400 reactions.

Not sure how you mean here. No more posts/reactions ??

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A better example with 2 bell notifications indicated - if I click on ChaiyaTH notification bell will no longer indicate any unread and remove the bold from both ChaiyaTH and LiverpoolLou notifications.  But this is how it has always worked - just not logical or helpful for readers.

image.png.b36d3c14e3ea93eff3c5d7b951db315a.png

This notification thing is nothing we can change right now. I am taking notes and we will look at it next month, when next minorv update will happen.

16 minutes ago, george said:

This notification thing is nothing we can change right now. I am taking notes and we will look at it next month, when next minorv update will happen.

Well yes but this doesn't show others your post to reaction ratio as it previously did it just shows who's reacting to you. As I say I thinlk this is  was an important feature.

image.png.21a51383c19c250166e767729633e605.png

At this time 5589 posts with 12048 reactions. Now it would just be 5k posts. It's meaningless.

Edited by dinsdale

22 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

To polish your ego I assume!

PS;  It certainly doesn't seem to assist your spelling!

No. It's not about ego but it is nice to see how you are going in respect to the forum as such. It is a virtual community. So why the change? As I said, now anyone can just continually post absolute drivel and be shown as a contributor to the forum. Wow! 10k posts. Means nothing without reaction from the rest of the community.

Not sure about my spelling errors though. It does seem to happen from time to time but no-one's perfect. Maybe you can point them out. Simple typo? Too much ginger beer? Who knows.

edit. Ah! Ok. Simple typo. No need to to be nasty about it. If you haven't noticed on a querty keyboard the l and k keys are next to each other. Double key hit and I didn't notice. So what.

Edited by dinsdale

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

At the moment the achievements index is being recounted by the system. Until then achievements will not be displayed (if they were displayed they would be inaccurate).

The forum has millions of posts and hundreds of millions of reactions, so this process will take quite some time.

At the minute the process is 57 per cent complete.

Ok Thanks.

• Like 1