Got stopped by a woman in Quy Nhon

Bunny Silverhand

I got stop by a young woman yesterday in Quy Nhon.

She asked me if I could meet her today so she can show me around and speak english.

I got her number but I don't really know what to do.

It seems weird to stop someone on the street and ask them that sort of thing.

I thought Vietnamese women were conservative.

I thought she might be a prostitute but really she doesn't fit the bill when it comes to the dress code of those ladies.

Anyway. Does this ring a bell? Like a scam you've heard of before ?

Thx

2 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Definitely a scam. Like you said, not normal at all for Vietnamese to randomly stop foreigners to show them around. Maybe a pig butchering scam or take you to a restaurant where you'll be charged huge prices and she gets a cut etc.

Ok, thank you. It's my first time in Vietnam so I don't really know local criminals yet :))

Same as Thailand/Philippines/Cambodia,

Lots of poor and desperate women looking for an opportunity.

Some are looking to steal, some are looking for short times, some are looking for husbands.

Protect your wallet while enjoying what's on offer.

3/5 year VISA for $50 for foreign husbands with Viet wives.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Some are looking to steal, some are looking for short times, some are looking for husbands.

I thought those guys had a booming economy !? Like double digits growth or something.

I've heard so many raving about how Vietnam is gonna be the next place to be to grow a business in SE Asia. I see, I see...

Worse part of my trip was Hoi An. What a tourist trap that town is :))

Anyway. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep my guard up.

34 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Definitely a scam. Like you said, not normal at all for Vietnamese to randomly stop foreigners to show them around. Maybe a pig butchering scam or take you to a restaurant where you'll be charged huge prices and she gets a cut etc.

Nothing that I haven't seen in Bangkok.

funny as i volunteered in QN--bai xep actually.....so i would visit QN on my days off and found the gals to be MUCH friendlier than thai gals..they seemed interested to speak to me and practice english....i recall one let me hold her hand for FREE on a date and that shook me to my core as thais would want payment even for that..lol     one actually PAID for my lunch.....dated many gals there and NONE of them cheated me.....they just seemed interested in me cos its NOT a tourist spot at all

Found the locals very friendly there and would return,,,,,ONE point is I was going to meet a gal and waited inside hotel lobby..she never came in as she and her friend chaperone said it would  make it look like it was for sex.......nothing but friendly gals for me and NO money was ever exchanged apart from the one buying ME lunch.....compare that to thai girls.....lol

never had sex with any of them...just hanging out and walking around the quaint little town

was never hustled or bothered by local there either..unlike my daily exps in CM about $$$$

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

nothing but friendly folks there as i volunteered there for 6 weeks....very local..non touristy

I lived in Ho Chi Minh City from 2015-2021. It was common for Vietnamese students to approach foreigners in the park near the backpacker district to practice English. In fact that's how I met most of my Vietnamese friends.

The Vietnamese are different from Thais. They actually ARE interested in practicing English, and they often lack the money to pay for lessons. Unlike Thais, they are not too proud to ask for a free opportunity to practice. So especially in a place like Quy Nhon, where they don't see many foreigners, I would accept what this woman said at face value. I don't think she intends to cheat you. But if you are afraid of being cheated, just pick the restaurant yourself - if you decide that you would like to eat something together. Or just tell her that you're not hungry.

2 hours ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

I thought those guys had a booming economy !? Like double digits growth or something.

I've heard so many raving about how Vietnam is gonna be the next place to be to grow a business in SE Asia. I see, I see...

Agree with you on Hoi An, got there on the 7am bus, left around 9:30am.

Da Nang had a great beach though.

Took this photo of some tourists early in the morning at Hoi An

Could contain:

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

I lived in Ho Chi Minh City from 2015-2021. It was common for Vietnamese students to approach foreigners in the park near the backpacker district to practice English. In fact that's how I met most of my Vietnamese friends.

Me too, same park, and they all wanted to show me their rooms after.

Obviously I refused ...................

2 hours ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

For most on this forum the grass is always greener at the other side of the fence, and that will be about every topic that is posted on this forum