Thai poll lists arrogance as their #1 complaint about Farangs.

charleskerins

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

The gogo bar girl saying used to be "three minutes, three inches, three thousand" for the Japanese punters.  And then the Koreans started arriving en masse and it became "four minutes, four inches, four thousand". :coffee1:

Blimey. Twelve grand is a bit steep!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

If I may quote the inimitable Michael Flanders and Donald Swann, from their seminal work, "A Song of Patriotic Prejudice":

"The English, the English, the English are best
So up with the English and down with the rest!
It's not that they're wicked or naturally bad
It's knowing they're foreign that makes them so mad!"

They of course were condemning our European neighbours, (all those years before Nigel Farage as well

!) but in these global times I think the sentiment can be applied universally.

They weren't condemning our European neighbours, they were satirising the peculiarly English arrogance that Farage later amplified (for his own benefit). Judging by the responses to this thread, it is still thriving. 

If you were still in the UK and a load of economic migrants ( for that is what many farangs are) fetched up in your home town and started strutting around like they owned it, complaining about the way you did everything, getting drunk and sh*gging your female relatives whenever they could...how would you feel about them?

As  Burns wrote, "Oh would some god the giftie gie us, to see ourselves as others see us"

5 hours ago, transam said:

Seems every country on the planet has a Chinese contingent, in those countries there is usually a "China Town", I wonder why.............😋 

Probably the same reason there are "Falang Towns" in Thailand and other foreign countries.

At the end of the day it is never the host nation that are the foreigners.

There are 3 kinds of people:

1) Those who hate anyone who is not like them

2) Those who hate themselves and instantly 'go local'

3) Those who (mostly) try to judge each person individually

Even Cat 3 is prone to making generalizations, as that is human nature.

Having resided in several countries with diverse cultures, I find that I often make generalizations, fair or not. I can do the same for my own country, where I find people increasingly willfully ignorant and morbidly obese. The willfully ignorant even have a champion, who is their new messiah.

I guess I have some generalizations about Thailand, too. I do find people quite friendly, though I can see not all of it is real. There does seem to be a feeling among many that their Thailand is the center of the known Universe, though I cannot see why anyone would think that. It goes against what I have seen from the outside, where the average outsider, if asked what is Thailand, would say "spicy food, bargirls". Thailand occupies no significant place in human history, neither ancient nor modern. It sits 25th or so among 200+ nations in terms of population size, but an objective history of human civilization would not even devote a sentence to it.

Something that has always struck me is what seems to be a total lack of curiosity. Few seem to have any interest in knowing about the outside world, about the nature of existence, about the evolution of our species, about physics or science in general, about the history of discovery and invention, about most anything other than things Thai. Maybe that is all that is required to live, but for someone who was raised in a place where curiosity was (perhaps not anymore) embedded in us, the total lack of wanting to know anything outside of one's daily life is odd.

Thai people can still be, and mostly are, wonderful, but the cultural difference and how that manifests itself in interests and the thirst for knowledge is what would prevent me from ever considering a serious long term relationship with a Thai woman. Lovely as they are, I can see nothing but abject boredom over the long term.

• Haha 1