Chanthaburi

bignok

I like it. Stayed there a few times when going to Koh Chang. Can't tell you a lot but there's a nice old section and a nice seafood restaurant in the middle of town. Actually there was no real middle of town..some areas here and there. Can recommend Maneechan Resort - nice facilities, pool and gym and sauna, nice big breakfast. A bit out of town. Need room away from road. Nearby waterfall nice. Beaches 20 minutes away that are so so but at least not as touristy as others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Kanchanaburi isn't Chanthaburi.

...the number of times I've told people where we live and they say knowingly 'oh yes, the death railway' or else correct my pronunciation by saying 'Kanchanaburi' slowly.

Buying a ticket to get here, the Ekkamai bus agency has a card with 'Kanchanaburi or  Chanthaburi?' written on it. Be disappointing to get here and find no railway, let alone a death one.

• Haha 1

The best preserved old teak town on The Eastern Seaboard. Worth 2 days, partic if the (not that great) gem dealing market is happening (only monthly, I think). Gem-wise, with bargaining, I got 30% off BKK prices (for junky fake jade crap for gifts).

Legendary durians that never leave the area. I recall a place out in the sticks where you can eat fresh water crab in a sort of mangrove setting. Very unique old church worth a peek into. To damn it with feint praise, it is the Tak of the south.

Trat is another fine teak oldie to linger in a bit before getting on the ferry, with a slightly more western hippie vibe.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

...the number of times I've told people where we live and they say knowingly 'oh yes, the death railway' or else correct my pronunciation by saying 'Kanchanaburi' slowly.

Buying a ticket to get here, the Ekkamai bus agency has a card with 'Kanchanaburi or  Chanthaburi?' written on it. Be disappointing to get here and find no railway, let alone a death one.

I rode my scooter through Chantaburi last month and it will forever be the durian place to me.  The ripe durian on the trees and in the back of massive trucks had a really nice smell to it. I still haven't tried durian though. 

The region was lush and felt quite tropical.  I'll definitely go back when the rains abate. 

2 hours ago, EchoPlus said:

I don't care. Only a few letters difference. Could almost be an anagram.

it is an anagram.

secret meanings of the place decoded through anagrams:

bhutan chair

arab chin hut

a baht urchin

a bath urchin

a brain hutch

aa Brit hunch

aah bitch run

aah burn itch

aba chin hurt

17 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've been living here for a little over a year. Nice place to ride a bike. One Big C, one Tesco, the obligatory Makro. NO Tukcom or anything CLOSE to it.

Chanthaburi has Central and Robinsons shopping malls, what ever you can buy in Tukom you should be able to find in either of these.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Chanthaburi has Central and Robinsons shopping malls, what ever you can buy in Tukom you should be able to find in either of these.

No.

Example: I wanted a 5 meter usb cable. I went to both only to go home empty handed. You want to upgrade your motherboard or buy extra ram? Not there. You can't compare any mall stores to Tukcom.

I've lived in Chantaburi for 10 years or more. It's a prosperous area of fruit farming, gemstone trading, seafood etc. Laem Sing beach is 17km away and there's mountains and waterfalls around too.

Many great places to eat, the Koffe House music restaurant (fabulous), Zi Punto for Japanese style food, abundant seafood places and excellent shopping.

It does have a nightlife area but as an early drinker I hardly know it. We live in a quiet 'gated' area which is very popular.

We sat waterside overlooking the sea back to Laem Sing beach last evening, fresh crab, green curry etc., 2 beers and a sunset, for THB 800 last night - Au Samet Dang restaurant - a beautiful spot.

Expats around but few compared to up the road ! It's a great place to be I get around Thailand a bit on trips too - to break the spell.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1