Big Bike brand with good service in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

8 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Although I haven't ridden one (yet) I'll second the Triumph Trident and also the slightly larger and sportier Street Triple.  I'm looking to get a second, smaller bike to add to my large Versys 1k which I typically tour on and the Trident is at the top of the list.  Before I moved to Thailand I had a Triumph Sprint GT and the fit/finish/build quality was superior to every other Japanese bike that I've had. 

And to  me the sound of a piped triple is absolutely intoxicating -

Thanks

Coming back to the theme of this thread, how is the Triumph service in Thailand?

My KTM Duke is a great bike. But the available service in Thailand is just bad. So next time no KTM for me anymore.

How about Triumph service in Thailand? 

This bad boy should be coming next year. Based on the MT09 platform, the XSR900 GP. 80's nostalgia. Ergonomics look sporty but not too crazy. Needs some Marlboro decals though...

As I mentioned, Yamaha have excellent service at their Nawamin Riders Club branch. Nice showroom as well. 

image.png.216ccb93db6058cc5f137dd4d2d53adf.png

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This bad boy should be coming next year. Based on the MT09 platform, the XSR900 GP. 80's nostalgia. Ergonomics look sporty but not too crazy. Needs some Marlboro decals though...

As I mentioned, Yamaha have excellent service at their Nawamin Riders Club branch. Nice showroom as well. 

image.png.216ccb93db6058cc5f137dd4d2d53adf.png

That reminds me of those times:

d635ebd3aa4c392a7a890b9b8316d3ce.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

Coming back to the theme of this thread, how is the Triumph service in Thailand?

My KTM Duke is a great bike. But the available service in Thailand is just bad. So next time no KTM for me anymore.

How about Triumph service in Thailand? 

The only thing I can say about Triumph in Thailand is that they are very popular with Thai motorcyclists AND that many of the models are built here.  Other than that I can't really comment.  Hopefully others can.

My experience at the two Kawasaki dealerships in Thailand has been fine and actually better (so far) that my experience at those in the US.  I think that the other side of the question you are asking is how reliable are these bikes, i.e. how often will you need to depend on the dealership to fix problems that are common to a particular model/brand.  The KTM's are great performing bikes for sure but in the states I heard horror stories of new KTM bikes that were in the shop more often than on the road.  I recall the experience of one owner who had to get a lawyer in order to force KTM to honor California's lemon law.  

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of those times:

d635ebd3aa4c392a7a890b9b8316d3ce.jpg

Looks to be based on the yzr500.

image.png.38d416b95cd035d2ac4e059ec2418606.png

But rumours are that Kawasaki are going to do a gpz900 based on the Z900 platform for the Top Gun fans... (sorry for slight thread detour)

image.png.e78f35fd305e96195a7e5b478dc15a8e.png

I owned a triumph trident in the 70's. Made in England at the time. It was a POS. Lucas electrics with their zener diode. According to Lucas, if god had meant us to drive at night, he would have made it light.

Thankfully the Honda 750/4 was just being released so I picked one up. Just get on it and go, not like the triumph that always needed tinkering. I guess that's why triumphs weren't around until somebody decided to make them here.

Lots of bikes since then. Suzuki dr650 was a great bike for Cambodia. Ninja 650r was ok in the Philippines, as the price was the same as the US.

Anyway, out of all of them the Hondas were the best and required very little maintenance. The 500 scrambler would probably be what I bought if I needed a new bike now. 

It depends mostly on what mechanic you get. I have had good and horrible at different Japanese brands. Honda and Kawasaki has many places to service the bikes. I prefer the former of those. Triumph also has many places to service and if you go for the 660 triple in trident and tiger sport you will only need to service every 16000 km. The Honda and Kawasaki's I previously had, had a service intervals of only 6000 km.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:49 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do people buy these big plastic boxes with small engines? For me it seems they want to look like they have a big bike but can't afford or are not able to ride a real big bike. They should pay extra. 😉 

I'm afraid you're totally wrong about this, and I know from your previous comments you hate Forza and obsessed with commenting about it ...! 

But you totally missed the point, it's by far the most practical and economical tool for the job, travelling on roads in Thailand with ease and at comfort...

On the other hand, you're looking to buy a 400cc 4 cylinders bike to "commute"  in Bangkok - I think most people would consider a Click, it makes more sense...!? 

Not sure how old you are but from the Goose photo, I guess you like that fancy side of motorcycling rather than practicality and reality of these vehicles..., I on the other hand like to see that stuff online... 🤗, I like to ride with quiet exhaust, never want anyone to look at me on my bike, and far from pretending to ride a big bike using Forza ...! 

17 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I'm afraid you're totally wrong about this, and I know from your previous comments you hate Forza and obsessed with commenting about it ...! 

But you totally missed the point, it's by far the most practical and economical tool for the job, travelling on roads in Thailand with ease and at comfort...

On the other hand, you're looking to buy a 400cc 4 cylinders bike to "commute"  in Bangkok - I think most people would consider a Click, it makes more sense...!? 

Not sure how old you are but from the Goose photo, I guess you like that fancy side of motorcycling rather than practicality and reality of these vehicles..., I on the other hand like to see that stuff online... 🤗, I like to ride with quiet exhaust, never want anyone to look at me on my bike, and far from pretending to ride a big bike using Forza ...! 

I own also something like a Click, a Raider 150, obviously with clutch and proper gearbox.

An additional bike with a "big" engine and small frame is about having fun. The opposite of a big plastic box with little engine. 😉 

About Goose: I saw the original Mad Max movie at that time with that bike. It looked like a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Agusts said:

Your and maybe many others priorities might be different but it's the OPs topic and he asked for a reliable brand with good service and prefers a 4-cylinder middleweight. Scooters are really out of the picture here. Not everyone has convenience and efficiency as paramount factors for decisions and many people have a scooter already anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1