savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

11 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Are you sure you do not work in Thailand? You sound like a schoolteacher.

Absolutely sure.  I wouldn't work for the pathetic salary many English teachers in Thailand get.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Really,  OK, seeing as you clearly have superior knowledge on this matter - please advise on how many days you need to be in Thailand to apply and receive a 12 month extension of stay, start to finish.

If you enter on a Non Imm O visa, and have a Thai bank account with 800K THB already deposited, you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay after 45 days at most Immigration offices, 60 days at others.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

You keep banging on about an extension being the MFA and Immigration's preferred route - where do you get that from?  The correct visa for someone who does not actually live in Thailand but visit's their spouse or family regularly is in fact a Non O. A 12 month extension of stay is for those who live in Thailand.

To clarify, the MFA are responsible for the Thai Embassies/Consulates that issue visas.

Thai Immigration are responsible for extensions of stay, which are permits, not visas.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Once you are on extension of stay the time becomes just over 4 weeks every year (marriage) or a couple days (retirement).

Yes, I'm aware of that but that's not really the point is it?

27 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes, I'm aware of that but that's not really the point is it?

What is your point exactly!

You're complaining about the financial requirements for the Non Imm O ME visa from Savannahket, for what reason.

Some posts discussing moderation have been removed:

13. You will not publicly comment on moderation in an open forum. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. You may send a private message to a moderator to discuss individual actions or you can email support (at) aseannow.com to discuss moderation policy and account suspensions. Aggression or abuse against moderators is not tolerated and any such action will be sanctioned. There is no excuse for abuse.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another post commenting on moderation and a reply has been removed:

13. You will not publicly comment on moderation in an open forum. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. You may send a private message to a moderator to discuss individual actions or you can email support (at) aseannow.com to discuss moderation policy and account suspensions. Aggression or abuse against moderators is not tolerated and any such action will be sanctioned. There is no excuse for abuse.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whilst acronyms/abbreviations can be used, they are not widely known by everyone.

It is better where possible to use the correct terminology especially when referring to visa categories.

Any acronym used should atlest explain (in brackets) the first time it's used so that it is clear to others what it is referring to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:18 PM, MangoKorat said:

Absolutely sure.  I wouldn't work for the pathetic salary many English teachers in Thailand get.

If you are so untroubled by finances why don't you get a visa at one of the surrounding embassies. If you have 400,000 b in a Thai bank account for 6 months you can go to Ho chi Minh, Vientiane,  KL and any of the surrounding countries. Why bother poor Savannakhet with your complaints. 

3 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I am using the full term for the visa here - simply to be able to reply to you. I will no longer be posting after this.

I have made it quite clear what my compaints are about from the start - maybe you haven't read through enough? In addition some of my posts have been removed which may lead to some confusion so I apologise if much of what is below is a repeat of what I have previously posted:

The fairly new requirement for having to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account has come about because of people using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa to avoid having to have the same amount for a 12 month extension and 'seasoning' it for 2 months. In other words they have been using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa to live in Thailand when they should have been using a 12 month extension of stay. Its clear to me that the 400,000 requirement is Savannakhet's response to that abuse.

The correct methods are:

Visting a Thai spouse or Family - Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa

Living with spouse of family in Thailand - Extension of stay.

Official Thai Immigration policy - told to me by a Captain at Suvarnabhumi is that those entering Thailand for the purpose of visiting a Thai spouse should not be using other visa types or 30 day exempts. The correct method of entry for that purpose is a Non Immigrant O Visa.

There is no official requirement to have 400,000 in a Thai bank account for a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa .  I can't remember that exact amount that is required but its not 400,000 and there certainly is no official requirement for the money to be in a Thai account - this visa type is for people who do not live in Thailand. Many embassies or consulates that used to offer Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visas often waived the financial requirements - London did.

There are people, I'm one of them, who have been using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa correctly for many years and have now been put at a disadvantage because of this new requirement.

I know of quite a few guys who are married to a Thai woman, some have families with them, who work abroad or offshore and intend joining their wives when they retire.  I also know of people who use a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa to visit their kids in Thailand. 

It can be difficult for someone not living in Thailand to obtain a Thai bank account and some may not either have the 400,000 required or wish to deposit it in a country where they don't live - why should they? The Thai banking regulations also state that a normal bank account can only be held by someone resident in Thailand.

To those who say obtaining an extension is an alternative - for someone using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa for its intended purpose, obtaining a 12 month extension may be impossible.  The initial application involves firstly obtaining a 90 day Non O and not being able to make the application until 45 days have passed.  There is then a potential 30 day wait for the extension to be issued.  I don't know of anyone who uses a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa correctly and is able to take a minimum of 75 days off work and it is very much a minimum - you can't rely on that and I wouldn't risk a flight ticket on it. Even 90 days is risky.

As I say, this matter has been brought about by abuse and I think I have every right to complain about it.  Why should people who have been complying with the rules for years be put at a disadvantage by those who abuse the system?

At the moment, those who report from Savannakhet have posted that they only have to show the money in a Thai account - no seasoning. I have a Thai bank account and can put 400,000 in it simply to obtain the visa but I'd be returning it to the UK with me when I leave.  How long before the authorities realise that can be done and add the seasoning requirement of an extension?

What about the people who've been using the visa correctly but don't have an account? 

On this forum we often seem to be discussing how to get around Thai visa requirements.  I'd suggest that the vast majority of Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa users never visit this forum. The first they know of this new requirement is when they arrive at Savannakhet to obtain a new visa.  In other words, the vast majority of Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa users use their visa for the purpose it is intended. Many simply use Savannakhet because they work abroad or a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa is no longer available in their home countries.

@Liquorice I am glad he is not posting further. This is such a flawed reasoning and assumptions if any of it makes the slightest sense. 

5 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The fairly new requirement for having to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account has come about because of people using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa to avoid having to have the same amount for a 12 month extension and 'seasoning' it for 2 months. In other words they have been using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa to live in Thailand when they should have been using a 12 month extension of stay. Its clear to me that the 400,000 requirement is Savannakhet's response to that abuse.

The purpose of the Non Imm O ME has been abused for years to allow foreigners to literally remain in Thailand with a few border runs.
Savannahket until recently were the last to require proof of finances, though.
In most instances, you needed to apply from a Thai Embassy where you were a citizen or residency, so proof of funds came from your foreign bank account. Savannahket, Lao, allow both non-citizens and residents to apply but could hardly request funds in a Lao bank.
They have always been the exception to the rule.

Only proof of a marriage certificate, copies of wife's Tabien Baan and ID card have been enough to secure a Non Imm O ME from Thai Embassies, without proof the relationship is dejure and defacto, so it's open to abuse if you were previously married, divorced, but still retained copies of the above documents.

5 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

There are people, I'm one of them, who have been using a Multi Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa correctly for many years and have now been put at a disadvantage because of this new requirement.

I don't see how you're disadvantaged, unless you were one of those mentioned above, previously married, divorced, but still retained the required documents, but now they've thrown a further obstacle of requiring 400K THB in a Thai bank that you really don't want to do.

By that, I mean according to one of your recent posts, just Tuesday last in fact, you stated you were not married.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1323260-can-i-fly-in-without-interrogationdeportation/#comment-18795514
Pot calling the kettle black!

Screenshot (1).png

Edited by Liquorice
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Liquorice said:

By that, I mean according to one of your recent posts, just Tuesday last in fact, you stated you were not married.

I really do not want to continue this any longer as I seem to be just repeating myself constantly. However I find I must as you are making statements that are factually wrong and trying to make me out as a liar.

If you had read my posts correctly you would note that in one, I said that marriage is not the only purpose for requiring the visa. I'm not about to share my personal details on here, other than to state that I have held a Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa for most of the last 20 years.

My visas have been issued by The Royal Thai Consulates at Hull, Savannakhet and Ho Chi Minh and the RTE in London.  None of them have ever required their stated financial evidence - even though on some occasions it was sent with the application.

So yes, I am not married any more however, I am legally entitled to hold a Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa and have indeed held one for most years since 2004.

Hopefully you will read my posts fully in future and won't be posting any further factually wrong statements. Unlike those who abuse the visa, I am not and have never been, a liar!

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 4:31 PM, Bday Prang said:

best of luck trying to get a multiple entry non immigrant visa based on marriage to a Thai  from the UK e visa website   They stopped issuing them over 6 months ago.  Single entry only now,  ( unless things have changed again)      What country are you from?

USA