can i fly in without interrogation/deportation?

some people have written that, because they had a history of long stays in thailand, they encountered a mess while trying to enter thailand through air. some even ended up in immigration detention center.

i'm under retirement age and have previously spent several years in thailand.  i'm married to a thai woman but don't currently have a marriage visa. 

can i fly back into thailand without problems?   

and do i need to purchase a round trip ticket?

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why would you unless they deported you.

Your post does not make sense. 

The OP would not be deported.

He is asking about refused entry to Thailand. 

Very different. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

His post doesnt make sense. Why would he be refused entry unless he had issues before or did many visa exemptions back to back.

Far too little info.

Yes far too little info.

Clearly he suggests he could be denied entry. That is not deportation. 

Why he does not use non O marriage with extensions is unclear. 

I'm not convinced of genuine OP post. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

some people have written that, because they had a history of long stays in thailand, they encountered a mess while trying to enter thailand through air. some even ended up in immigration detention center.

No one doing nothing more than trying to enter, but being refused entry, goes to IDC!  Unless, maybe, they are wanted for previous Immigration offences and there is an arrest warrant in force but that has almost no chance of being the situation.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

The simple thing, would be to not enter visa exempt Apply for a Non-O based on marriage, will be better. Gives you 90 days, plus a possible 60 day extension without need to show 400k or 40k per month.

That sounds very good.  Could I do that at a Thai consulate in Laos?

Out of curiosity, how many times per year can you do that?

If you do come in visa exempt, check with your airline on the requirement for a return or onward flight.  Some airlines enforce that tightly.  If you search this forum, you can see various tips on addressing this through cheap throw-away tickets or refundable that can be cancelled once you are in-country without penalty.  The airline would want to see the onward/return portion within 29 days if doing a visa exempt (my experience with ANA airline was that they don't understand (maybe, don't care) about extension from there or any intention to switch to another visa, they wanted to see withing the 29 days of arrival (the 30 day clock starts on arrival day)).

Edited by tjintx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

I was thinking about entering visa exempt, and then extending it for 30 days. 

A visa is a better bet and will remove rhe need for an onward ticket. 

A non-O visa based on marriage should avert any issues on entry. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I was thinking about entering visa exempt, and then extending it for 30 days. 

You have asked same questions in previous thread 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1318228-does-marriage-protect-you-from-airport-immigration-hassles/ 

You mention using agent for non O marriage. 

Don't know how you managed that.

In any event no one can answer as you have not outlined your most recent history in Thailand (previous 12+ months) and more importantly time spent out of Thailand. 

If you are married to a Thai national you should obtain a non O marriage 

You could also obtain 60 day extension "to visit wife" 

At very least a tourist visa.

A visa exempt entry may require an onward flight.

7 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

That sounds very good.  Could I do that at a Thai consulate in Laos?

Out of curiosity, how many times per year can you do that?

Yes you can, and there are no set amount of times. However, might be same as everything else, that they sooner or later asks you to make an extension. Hard for them to refuse entry, though.

• Thanks 1

I was taken into a room at BKK last year and questioned about multiple entries over the years and the long stay during Covid. They were fine when i showed them my onward ticket. You never know but I wouldn’t try it without a valid return or onwards 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes far too little info.

I suspect he doesn't have 400k even for 2 months.

10 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Seems like there is something missing. I have lived here for a good number of years and never had a problem,

As my thai GF states....Money is #1.

My guess is that he doesn't, otherwise he would have a non O marriage with extensions. 

The financial requirements for marriage is a very sweet deal

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The simple thing, would be to not enter visa exempt Apply for a Non-O based on marriage, will be better. Gives you 90 days, plus a possible 60 day extension without need to show 400k or 40k per month.

Agreed.  When I was married to a Thai I entered a couple of times using the 30 day exempt route rather than my usual 12 month Multi Entry Non O.  On the second 30 day entry I was asked why I didn't have a Non O and asked if I was visiting my wife - I replied that I was.

I was told that visiting my wife was not considered as tourism and I should not be entering visa exempt as that was for tourists.  I was allowed in but warned that I would not be allowed in again without the correct visa.

I would guess that plenty of people who are married to a Thai enter every day on 30 day exempts - simply because the I.O. either doesn't notice their previous visas or doesn't really give a damn.  However, if the recent reports that Immigration are going to tighten up on regulations and make sure that foreigners have complied with all the requirements, they might well clamp down on married people entering on exempts.

Best not to risk it, get a Non O and in the light of the recent announcements, I would also make sure that you have the required 20,000 baht (or equivalent) on you in cash.

• Agree 1

If you haven't got a visa or any plans to stay long-term, (in which case you would need to acquire some form of visa), why would you want to just get a one-way ticket to Thailand?

Your post is weird.

• Confused 2

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes far too little info.

Will he need a re-entry permit if he leaves on a non O?

How and where do you get these?

Thx.

10 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Will he need a re-entry permit if he leaves on a non O?

How and where do you get these?

Thx.

Yes.

Can obtain reentry permit at his immigration office and at airport day of departure 

On 3/25/2024 at 9:04 PM, BananaBandit said:

i'm under retirement age and have previously spent several years in thailand.  i'm married to a thai woman but don't currently have a marriage visa. 

can i fly back into thailand without problems?   

and do i need to purchase a round trip ticket?

You use the words Interrogation and deportation in the title of the thread. 

An interview of a passenger at the border asking about their circumstances and intentions is common anywhere. A way to avoid being in the firing line for refusal of entry is to be able to show visit plans commensurate with the type of visa (or visa exempt) you hold, have a return ticket and be able to show sufficient funds for your stay. 

Nobody on this forum can answer your question of, will I be refused, particularly with the lack of detail of your situation, but the odds are heavily on your side. Of course, in Thailand things can happen on the whim of an individual officer.

Refusal of entry is not deportation. You need to be first cleared into a country to be deported from it.  If refused, you would normally be kept in custody until the airline can organize a flight out again. If overnight, it could involve the IDC. Not sure of procedure here, but you may also be entered on an alert list.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:49 PM, tjintx said:

If you do come in visa exempt, check with your airline on the requirement for a return or onward flight.  Some airlines enforce that tightly.  If you search this forum, you can see various tips on addressing this through cheap throw-away tickets or refundable that can be cancelled once you are in-country without penalty.  The airline would want to see the onward/return portion within 29 days if doing a visa exempt (my experience with ANA airline was that they don't understand (maybe, don't care) about extension from there or any intention to switch to another visa, they wanted to see withing the 29 days of arrival (the 30 day clock starts on arrival day)).

Yes very hit and miss

I came in on Etihad and Singapore one way in last 6 months and absolutely no interest was taken (or requested) of my Evisa on both occasions

As far as ground handling were concerned they were simply not interested. In Singapore's case there was "no one" to take any interest in the first place as all self automated check in !

Quite bizarre I agree

23 minutes ago, Chivas said:

In Singapore's case there was "no one" to take any interest in the first place as all self automated check in !

Airline staff can stop you at the boarding gate. I know because that happened to me (not Singapore Airlines).