savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

4 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

How up to date does the bank statement need to be, a couple of days good enough?

Thx

I have no idea.

In Thailand immigration officers require you to have a certified statement from the bank, freshly obtained on day of the application. You wouldn't be able to do that here, so I'm not sure how it will work. I believe you need to show proof of funds in Vientiane and they have been doing it that way for many years, so it will probably work the same as that, however that is.

Im sure more info will be forthcoming soon 👍

If you have the funds, isn't it easier to go to a local imm office?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
1 hour ago, decline said:

has anyone else tried it recently? 

have to do mine in a few weeks

What? You mean more recently than the OP's 1-hour ago?

No recently, the past week/month etc

Edited by decline
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know people will say Savannakhet survives on more than non-o border runners but it is surely going to be a big hit to their economy. Am not sure why anyone would go there ifor muchvreason except the embassy. II can't see tourist visa holders and visa run groups paying over 100 b for a coffee at one of the expensive cafes near the embassy. Sure there are domestic laos people but it still must be an income drop for the farung style restaurants and hotels. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, kiddeemak said:

I have no idea.

In Thailand immigration officers require you to have a certified statement from the bank, freshly obtained on day of the application. You wouldn't be able to do that here, so I'm not sure how it will work. I believe you need to show proof of funds in Vientiane and they have been doing it that way for many years, so it will probably work the same as that, however that is.

Im sure more info will be forthcoming soon 👍

If you have the funds, isn't it easier to go to a local imm office?

Or perhaps they are being selective with locations folk are coming from....:whistling: 

I think this is just a matter of waiting till we have a few member reports, after all, the consulate will be in for losing a nice few quid, but then again, it could be instructions from the new gov boss....😏

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't believe it.......Unless the bloke had balls-ed up, and they are going to make a few quid over it, but I don't believe that either...😉

I understand why you don't believe it, I would be sceptical too. People are always panicking and posting that the sky is falling when it's really just a misunderstanding.

But I'm 99% certain this is a change from the top, at least temporary but most likely permanent.

Edited by kiddeemak
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

then he should state that

there are many multi entries and if people too lazy to bother giving proper info then they should not write.

as far as i know if applying for marriage visa ( not multi entry) then there is no need for any money.

only if you plan to stay here full time do you need the 400k

and i understand very well

No, you don't.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, kiddeemak said:

The officer told me they now require bank statement showing 400k in the bank, as of last week. He didn't seem happy about it.

As they are applying the same financial requirement as they do for a 12 month extension of stay - was there any mention of the monthly income method (40,000) being acceptable?

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As they are applying the same financial requirement as they do for a 12 month extension of stay - was there any mention of the monthly income method (40,000) being acceptable?

I didn't ask, there was a big queue behind me

I'm going to guess it would be the same as Vientiane now, I don't know how it works there. I *think* it's income or savings qualify

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I have received another report (via PM) from someone refused a multiple entry Non O (Thai wife) at Savannakhet today. This very unwelcome news most certainly appears to be genuine.

I presume the refusal was on the same grounds - financial?

Extensions remain entirely possible, you can either satisfy the requirements or, perhaps more pertinently, please the "system" by using one of their "agents".

It does seem a rather random date to introduce such a change - 24 October - without any prior notice! Must have heard on the grapevine I was going there tomorrow! Luckily I haven't bought the bus ticket yet.

Plan B I suppose...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

What the OP reports would be in line with literally each and every other Thai consulate and embassy that issues this kind of visa.

The writing was on the wall when they started to roll out the e-visa platform.

From the e-visa application form

10 . Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum, with name & visible

• Thumbs Up 1