savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

On 10/26/2023 at 10:31 AM, Liquorice said:

Which was immediately stamped as 'used' and the subsequent stamps make clear you have been issued a 'permit' of stay.

It's simply an in-house Thai Immigration procedure to change one's original status from entering as a tourist.
It negates the need to exit and apply for a Non Imm visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate and re-enter with Non Immigrant status.

Extensions are permits, not visas, but of course you just sign forms without reading them.

Good grief, another pedant.

Q. What's the difference between the immigration officer at the arrival airport stamping an embassy-issued, single-entry visa as 'used' and the immigration officer at the local immigration officer stamping their newly issued single-entry visa they issued as 'used'?

A. None. It is still a visa regardless of who or why it was issued and when or where it was cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Superkatsu said:

Did somebody know how the bank statement has to look like? I have more then 400k in the bank but only since about 1 month, I was in holiday and was a couple of days below 400k if they require 60 days...

I don't recall anyone having to provide proof of funds for a visa being issued at an embassy or consulate overseas mentioning that they require the money to be seasoned.

None of the official embassy or consulate websites state the need for seasoning, only proof of having the money in your bank account.

However, as @BritManToo mentioned in a recent HCMC visa thread, they want to see a 6-month bank statement. There's no clarity if that needs to show a minimum of 400k baht for the entire 6 months. Their website only states the following.

2.5. Applicant’s financial statement of adequate finance is required.

Edited by NanLaew

On 10/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, bigt3116 said:

Can you see at the top left of the photo where it clearly states "NON-IMMIGRANT VISA", so yes, it is a f'in visa!

5. To apply for a visa, a foreigner must possess a valid passport or travel document that is recognised by the Royal Thai Government and comply with the conditions set forth in the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E.2522 (1979) and its relevant regulations. In addition, the visa applicant must be outside of Thailand at the time of application.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2771

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Good grief, another pedant.

Q. What's the difference between the immigration officer at the arrival airport stamping an embassy-issued, single-entry visa as 'used' and the immigration officer at the local immigration officer stamping their newly issued single-entry visa they issued as 'used'?

A. None. It is still a visa regardless of who or why it was issued and when or where it was cancelled.

Good grief, another that cannot see the obvious.

Q. Can you enter a country when you have never left?

A. No.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Going there to apply on next Wednesday. Have all the docs ready. Married with Thai wife and have our child. Have 400 000k but not seasoned. Will apply for non-immigrant O marriage in order to apply for a work permit when I am back in Thailand. 

Will report back here once I am back.

Just a question, if I don't get non-immigrant O one year visa but non-immigrant O 90 days, can I apply for the work permit on that one too?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Why would you suspect that?

People that don't have the funds, 400k, 800k or the statements of monthly income previously had 2 choices.

1 : Pay an agent that has that in their package.

2 : Go to Savannakhet and get a 12 month multi entry visa without showing any funds.

One of those choices is now gone.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

A. No.

It's ultimately a technical procedure, just because Thailand's immigration has that distinction between a "tourist entry" and a "non-immigrant visa entry".

I have no idea why you can't wrap your head around that; they issue you a visa and stamp you in on that new visa locally. That you didn't actually leave the country is reflected by the fact that they don't give you an exit stamp, but a new entry stamp.

A nice little paper-shuffling exercise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

A. No.

Nah, it is you that cannot see the obvious!

Nowhere does it state that you have to enter the country to use a visa, hence why immigration here can and do issue single use visas. Can you not see on the example that it does not say "enter by" it says "This visa must be utilized on the date of issuance". 

21 hours ago, WebGuy said:

Going there to apply on next Wednesday. Have all the docs ready. Married with Thai wife and have our child. Have 400 000k but not seasoned. Will apply for non-immigrant O marriage in order to apply for a work permit when I am back in Thailand. 

Will report back here once I am back.

Just a question, if I don't get non-immigrant O one year visa but non-immigrant O 90 days, can I apply for the work permit on that one too?

I think you can attach a work permit, as it is a non-imm visa. But what I'm unsure about is the condition of the visa, as you are supposed to have a minimum of 90 day stay within 1 period. So, if work permit issued, does this eliminate that maximum stay requirement? (FYI I'm between jobs hence why I'm considering this option).

1 hour ago, bangkok blue said:

I think you can attach a work permit, as it is a non-imm visa. But what I'm unsure about is the condition of the visa, as you are supposed to have a minimum of 90 day stay within 1 period. So, if work permit issued, does this eliminate that maximum stay requirement? (FYI I'm between jobs hence why I'm considering this option).

Once you get a non-immigrant visa, you can apply for the WP based on that. Then every year when you are renewing your WP, you will get one year visa extension. I know this sounds weird but this is how it works. For example, I had a 3 months valid non-immigrant B visa and got a WP based on it. I didn't leave the country for 5 years as when my WP got renewed, my non-immigrant B 3 months valid visa got extended and this was taking for 5 years.

Now I want to go out of the country and apply for non-immigrant O marriage visa and come back to Thailand and apply for the WP based on it.

19 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

People that don't have the funds, 400k, 800k or the statements of monthly income previously had 2 choices.

2 : Go to Savannakhet and get a 12 month multi entry visa without showing any funds.

Narrows the options, and tightens the agents grip on the game.

Don't forget that various other agencies/individuals benefit from "agent's business"!

18 hours ago, Caldera said:

I have no idea why you can't wrap your head around that; they issue you a visa and stamp you in on that new visa locally.

I have no idea why you cannot wrap your head around the fact that visas can only be applied for outside the country.

Historical rhetoric on this forum doesn't make it right.

9 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Nah, it is you that cannot see the obvious!

Nowhere does it state that you have to enter the country to use a visa, hence why immigration here can and do issue single use visas. Can you not see on the example that it does not say "enter by" it says "This visa must be utilized on the date of issuance". 

Take it that you had difficulty understanding this statement from immigration

" In addition, the visa applicant must be outside of Thailand at the time of application."

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have no idea why you cannot wrap your head around the fact that visas can only be applied for outside the country.

You're just plain wrong about that. Immigration can and does issue visas within Thailand under certain circumstances. Take a hint from reading the stamp which literally says, "Non-Immigrant Visa".

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

" In addition, the visa applicant must be outside of Thailand at the time of application."

To apply for a visa at an embassy/consulate, you must be outside of the country at the time of the application.

To apply for a SMRT visa, Thailand Elite, LTR visa, Non O-X visa, Non Immigrant visa at Immigration etc., there is no regulation that you must apply from outside Thailand. Of course, you can claim that none of these are "visas", but I believe such a claim would be incorrect.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:35 AM, sandyf said:

5. To apply for a visa, a foreigner must possess a valid passport or travel document that is recognised by the Royal Thai Government and comply with the conditions set forth in the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E.2522 (1979) and its relevant regulations. In addition, the visa applicant must be outside of Thailand at the time of application.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2771

Thank you for posting that link. From that web page:

1. Generally, a foreign citizen who wishes to enter the Kingdom of Thailand is required to obtain a visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or a Royal Thai Consulate-General...

The critical part here is "who wishes to enter the Kingdom"

However, the discussion in the context in which you made your post is not about a foreigner who wishes to enter Thailand; he is already in the country. He goes to his local immigration office after a visa-exempt entry or after entry with a visa other than a non-immigrant visa to apply for a non-immigrant visa with the form TM.86 APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF VISA or the form TM.87 APPLICATION FOR VISA (where on both forms "visa" is a wrong translation of the Thai text ลงตรำ, which in the context of these forms means "arrival stamp"), as the case may be, to subsequently apply for a one-year extension of permission to stay for the apposite reason.

TM.86 Application for change of visa.pdf

TM.87 Application for visa.pdf

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

That refers to the old Houston visa type deals where people would send their passport from Thailand. In other words you can't apply for a visa from an overseas consulate whilst in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:01 PM, JeffersLos said:

So based on that, you think the agents will double their prices?

I guess we can agree to disagree. If anything, the agent bandwagon has got cheaper over the years. This despite arguably more people being unable/unwilling to bank here.

On 10/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Wongkitlo said:
On 10/27/2023 at 1:20 PM, lemonjelly said:

Is it possible to use an agent to get a 1 year extension based on retirement on a 3 month single entry “marriage visa” from Savannakhet?

I was offered a 1 year ME non o by an agent in Savannakhet

I would be very wary of pursuing that route. Several years ago, there was a scandal at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur when some unused visa stickers came up missing. More recently, I recall a worker at one of their Chinese legations being arrested for charging Chinese students non-immigrant visa rates for their student visas. Their consular efforts seem to be fair game for their in-house scammers.

I got my 1-year MENO in Savanakhet last February, on my first three re-entries at Suvarnabhumi this year, the IO's did several close inspections of the visa sticker, tilting it under different light, before stamping me in. The re-entry ten days ago was the first time it didn't get the extra scrutiny. I would assume that the IO's are now aware that Savanakhet Consulate now needs proof of funds so any recently issued MENO's will probably get closely examined.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:45 AM, NanLaew said:

The stamp issued by Immigration doesn't allow any entries.

It merely denotes a change of status from Tourist to Non Immigrant.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:20 AM, lemonjelly said:

Is it possible to use an agent to get a 1 year extension based on retirement on a 3 month single entry “marriage visa” from Savannakhet?

Did you get a visa with the word "marriage" printed, stamped, or handwritten on it from the Thai consulate in Savannakhet?

On 10/29/2023 at 4:24 PM, sandyf said:

No true. I got a non-B visa inside the country. that was converted to an extension of stay afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 3:04 PM, MangoKorat said:

I don't understand what all the fighting is about.  The OP's message is clear to me.

For many years, some embassies/consulates have provided 12 Multi Entry Non O visas (MENO's) based on marriage to a Thai national with very little evidence required - especially financial.

That list has gradually been dwindling - HCMC was the last one that I heard now require financial proof and now it seems that Savannakhet has gone the same way.

They seem to be treating a MENO in the same way as they do for a marriage extension - financially.  Its not surprising really as many have abused that visa and used it as a way of living in Thailand without providing financial evidence - not that I'm criticising that but it was in effect 'abuse'.  The visa is intended for those who don't live in Thailand but make regular visits to their spouse.

The question is, will they also accept the monthly income method of 40,000 per month?

The problem isn't the system being abused, it is the requirements.

Edited by Brickleberry

27 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Correct. 400k/40k per month is way too low.

On the assumption that the man's income (transferred to a Thai bank account) is all the money that the family have to live on, and foreign credit/debit cards are not used, maybe so. It is unclear, even in that case though, that the wife and children would be better off if their provider was not present.

As is often  pointed out, a foreign woman can stay with her Thai husband without showing any income at all.