savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

14 hours ago, travelerjim said:

YES you can get a 60 Day family visit extension of stay at your local Thai Immigration office for 1900 Thai baht. Ask your local Thai Immigration office for their list of requirements.

If you get that 60-day family visa extension does your status remain as Non Immigrant O?

On 10/24/2023 at 12:45 PM, kiddeemak said:

Nebulous? Unclear how? I'm guessing the details in sav will be the same as they are in Vientiane.

The officer at the desk was crystal clear. Want a multi? Need bank statement showing 400k.

Don't want to see bank book?  Just design and print your own statement.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I wouldn't be confident enough to put a number on it but 11,000 seems a small amount to me and I would not be at all surprised if there were 3 or 4 times that number of foreigners working in areas other than teaching in Thailand.

The total number of foreigners working in Thailand is well into the millions (https://silkestate.io/how-many-foreigners-live-in-thailand/#)

In recent times, Thailand has experienced a serious influx of foreigners, with the majority being skilled migrant workers. It is estimated that as of the year 2023, there are between 3 to 4 Million foreigners living and working in Thailand. 

Of course, that includes low skilled workers from neighbouring countries (some of whom are married). The vast majority of foreign teachers are native English speakers or from the Philippines. Over 100,000 foreign expats are highly skilled experts or senior managers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

In one office building!!!  You might be surprised to learn that there are thousands of office buildings and businesses in Bangkok.

I don't see anywhere like the amount of 'expat' teachers in Thailand as I used to do but whenever I visit areas like Silom, I see an awful lot of foreigners working in that area.  Then you have to consider the Eastern Seaboard Automotive sector - the management of which contains a very high percentage of foreigners.

In my area there is a very large foreign owned factory which also has a branch in Chonburi - again, most of the management are foreign.

I used to work for a Dubai based construction/civil engineering company with offices throughout Asia - including Thailand.  Our management consisted of 90% expats and that applied to our Bangkok office.  Much of the construction industry (major projects) operate on the same basis - companies just cannot find enough qualified Thai staff.

I wouldn't be confident enough to put a number on it but 11,000 seems a small amount to me and I would not be at all surprised if there were 3 or 4 times that number of foreigners working in areas other than teaching in Thailand.

You need to get out of Bangkok and take a look. You, rightly so, have based your assumptions on 2 or 3 areas of Thailand. 

Expat teachers can be found all over Thailand. 

If you worked (I note past tense) in an office with 90% expats in management, how many was that?

The "awful lot" of expats in Silom. You asked each and every one of them if they are working and what they do? That's incredible.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The total number of foreigners working in Thailand is well into the millions (https://silkestate.io/how-many-foreigners-live-in-thailand/#)

Of course, that includes low skilled workers from neighbouring countries (some of whom are married). The vast majority of foreign teachers are native English speakers or from the Philippines. Over 100,000 foreign expats are highly skilled experts or senior managers.

My original comment was in reply to the possibility of workers on an B visas being able to work on an O being married to a Thai.

Maybe I didn't make that clear when suggesting most of that group would be teachers.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Oh yes they quite often are !

Hence the forms TM86 Application for change of visa (tourist to Non-Imm)

and

TM87 Application for visa

TMs 86 & 87 don't get you a visa, only a change in visa status.

Of course you are free to think what you want.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Go home and get a 1-year MENO from an embassy there? They're offshore workers after all, so they're filthy rich and can afford the one-time extra airfare.

I really doubt someone is going to want to do that and as far as I know, apart from Savannakhet and HCMC - most embassies and consulates no longer offer a 12 month MENO based on marriage. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

The "awful lot" of expats in Silom. You asked each and every one of them if they are working and what they do? That's incredible.

Of course I didn't but its usually pretty obvious from the way they are dressed and the laptop bag. Dashing around between 8:30 and 9am also sort of gives it away.

Anyway, have it your way - there are more expats employed as teachers than anything else......OK?

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Agents are not keen to deal with marriage extensions and if age permits will suggest the retirement extension instead.

Those that are under 50 without the required bank balance are the ones with a problem.

Retirement extensions are much simpler, sorted at the local office, often same day (depending on the a

gent's contacts). Retirement extensions are subject to scrutiny further up the chain of command, and have to be signed off by a senior officer.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There's nothing preventing them from dropping the equivalent of $11,000 in their Thai bank account so they can still get the visa.

One thing I am sure of, they are out of order if they are requiring the 400k to be in a Thai account.  The MENO is intended for people who don't live in Thailand.  It would be wrong to expect them to have a Thai account.

In fact - if you look at the requirements for a MENO, nowhere does it say in a Thai account - mixing the rules up with extensions of stay again.  Next thing you know, they'll want it seasoning and a letter from your bank dated the same day as the application 😁.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Filthy rich yes, stupid, no.

Why would they not just get a letter from bank and go to Savankhet, am i missing something here?

Yes, but you missed that I was answering @MangoKorat who asked what would the offshore worker do if this visa was no longer available regionally. This is possible with the shift to eVisa systems.

If it is still available, they get it in Savanakhet.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

There's no need to feel sorry, they're filthy rich.

Some will just go back to tourist visas, i know guys that never stopped doing tourist visas, there was a while it was tricky but now it's situation normal.

This is also better for the upcomming tax gonk show that's suggested might happen, better to be on a TV than Non 'O' one would suspect.

As long as the filthy rich offshore worker is happy to fund his frequent visits via ATM withdrawals from an overseas bank, then he can avoid any tax. Those laws don't consider immigration status by the way, they simply count days in the country for anyone. That's clocked by immigration and will be shared with RD and if they have a local bank account, then tax will be assessed.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, elektrified said:

It never listed it, but it was always an option.

It did on the Thai language page from their website that @transam already posted a link to a few pages ago.

4 hours ago, elektrified said:

If you get that 60-day family visa extension does your status remain as Non Immigrant O?

Since extensions are grandfathered on the predicating immigration entitlement (the Non O visa), yes. What other category would apply?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Very few places issue them now. 

You are probably right as there's been the slow push over the years to wean people off long-term, multi-entry visas of any sort and formalize their long-stay Thai immigration status with the RTP once inside the country.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

TMs 86 & 87 don't get you a visa, only a change in visa status.

Of course you are free to think what you want.

They get you a non-immigrant visa AND a non-immigrant visa entry. You cannot get the latter without having the former, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:54 PM, Pouatchee said:

then he should state that

there are many multi entries and if people too lazy to bother giving proper info then they should not write.

as far as i know if applying for marriage visa ( not multi entry) then there is no need for any money.

only if you plan to stay here full time do you need the 400k

and i understand very well

you don't seem to understand that well, savannakhet has been good for many years for married multi entry non imm 'O' visa without financials, it seems going by the op they are tightening up, and only now offer a single entry without financials, which is good for a stay of 150days with a 'wife' 60day extension, the 400,000thb has been needed for in country yearly extensions,

i think you need to put your bed next to the wall to save getting out the wrong side.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

you don't seem to understand that well, savannakhet has been good for many years for married multi entry non imm 'O' visa without financials, it seems going by the op they are tightening up, and only now offer a single entry without financials, which is good for a stay of 150days with a 'wife' 60day extension, the 400,000thb has been needed for in country yearly extensions,

i think you need to put your bed next to the wall to save getting out the wrong side.

dude you dont know what you are talking about. you just join this thread without knowing its history. the op changed his title after i pointed out to him that his original title was not clear (dont believe me? go check on the first page of the thread until you find what I am talking about. his first querry was about a multi entry visa with 400 000 and nothing about marriage. 

there are retirement multi entry, marriage multi entry and even there used to be tourist multi entries. the  bht in the bank? well that might have been an immi fluke.

mind your own business until you know all the facts.  so you take a chill pill and park your bed next to the wall 

the fact that you are confused proves my initial point

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Some will just go back to tourist visas, i know guys that never stopped doing tourist visas, there was a while it was tricky but now it's situation normal.

I don't think you can actually say that - there is no 'situation normal'. The situation with denials comes and goes. Some seem to be able to do as many entries as they want, often back to back - then reports start coming in from people being denied.  Its been that way as long as I can remember.

People often post that they've been coming in for years on 30 day exempts with no problems - well good for them but such statements are not a lot of good to the guy stood at the booth being denied. 

Given the amount of entries per day, admittedly denials seem rare but then again, quite a lot of people I've spoken to have never heard of ThaiVisa or AseanNow so they won't be reporting here.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You are probably right as there's been the slow push over the years to wean people off long-term, multi-entry visas of any sort and formalize their long-stay Thai immigration status with the RTP once inside the country.

Don't forget though, that a great many people used MENO's as per their intended purpose, I was one of them. Why would I want to formalise my long term immigration status? I wasn't long term,  I was simply visiting my wife every 8 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:58 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Websites are known to be out of date.

The one year multiple entry Non O Visa as Married to Thai NEVER was on the website... All you needed to do was write 5000 Thai baht One year Non O...on the top of the application and they issued it. Otherwise they would issue only a 90 day Non O Visa as Married to Thai.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I don't think you can actually say that - there is no 'situation normal'. The situation with denials comes and goes. Some seem to be able to do as many entries as they want, often back to back - then reports start coming in from people being denied.  Its been that way as long as I can remember.

People often post that they've been coming in for years on 30 day exempts with no problems - well good for them but such statements are not a lot of good to the guy stood at the booth being denied. 

Given the amount of entries per day, admittedly denials seem rare but then again, quite a lot of people I've spoken to have never heard of ThaiVisa or AseanNow so they won't be reporting here.

An average of 80 persons each day at BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Mueang airport are DENIED entry into Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Retirement extensions are much simpler, sorted at the local office, often same day (depending on the a

gent's contacts). Retirement extensions are subject to scrutiny further up the chain of command, and have to be signed off by a senior officer.

I should have said marriage extensions are subject to scrutiny further up the chain of command, and have to be signed off by a senior officer - sorry about the confusion.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As long as the filthy rich offshore worker is happy to fund his frequent visits via ATM withdrawals from an overseas bank, then he can avoid any tax. Those laws don't consider immigration status by the way, they simply count days in the country for anyone. That's clocked by immigration and will be shared with RD and if they have a local bank account, then tax will be assessed.

Some filthy offshore workers may already have a nice nest egg in cash under the mattress 😉

• Sad 1