Forum upgrade in progress! ×

savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Do a border run the day before expiry and get 90 days.

When the 90 days expires, get a further 60 days at immigration. 

Total 17 months.

Interesting

I flew back to BKK a few weeks ago and the IO officer has stamped me to be out January 2024 (but Non-O visa expires 14th November, I thought this was when I have to leave)

So I can stay until January then extend another 60 days?

• Confused 3

49 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Visas/extensions seem to be getting more and more difficult every year (unless you're Russian) - one day they will realise just how much we spend in Thailand - grey or not.

If you don't have 400K or can't do the monthly income way, you don't spend that much.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, decline said:

Interesting

I flew back to BKK a few weeks ago and the IO officer has stamped me to be out January 2024 (but Non-O visa expires 14th November, I thought this was when I have to leave)

It doesn't matter that your visa expired when you have an extension of stay. 

Yes, you can do the 60 days in Thailand.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, decline said:

Interesting

No.  Your visa becomes invalid for entry after 14 November.  You can stay until that 90 day entry expires in January 2024 and make an extension of stay if able before that date to stay longer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I know people will say Savannakhet survives on more than non-o border runners but it is surely going to be a big hit to their economy. Am not sure why anyone would go there ifor muchvreason except the embassy. II can't see tourist visa holders and visa run groups paying over 100 b for a coffee at one of the expensive cafes near the embassy. Sure there are domestic laos people but it still must be an income drop for the farung style restaurants and hotels. 

Actually now those not using extensions of stay will have to come and stay every 90 - 150 days rather than 15 months - win for business and Consulate.

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Madgee said:

Rules are rules, but to implement this new condition with no warning is unjust. 

Agree. It was inevitable that sooner rather than later, the Savannakhet loophole would be closed. 

Anyone with their ear to the ground should have seen it coming.

I got caught out doing the marriage on income when they stopped the letters. My extension came up for renewal before I had 12 month of transfers, I went to HCMC in Dec 2019 and got ME without any financials. A couple of months later covid hit and when that lifted HCMC wanted financials.

Virtually a certainty Savanannakhet would follow suit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I just wonder what will be accepted as proof that the money is in the account?

If they would accept a Bank Statement that is 1 day old, you could do that (if your Thai Bank has a branch in Mukdahan) before you cross the border to Laos and then following day (morning) go to the Consulate.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Just now, MJCM said:

I just wonder what will be accepted as proof that the money is in the account?

If they would accept a Bank Statement that is 1 day old, you could do that before you cross the border in Mukdahan and then following day (morning) go to the Consulate.

When applying for a visa it shouldn't come into it where the money is, visas can be applied for by anyone, not just those with a Thai bank account.

In the last couple of years I have had 2 visas from UK using funds in my Thai bank, other applicants would be predominantly a UK bank. Visa applications normally say recent bank statement.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Visa applications normally say recent bank statement.

And what recent is is of course up to the Consular Officer 😉 

Same with the Marriage Registration (KR2) some Immigration offices want it issued on the same day as going to Immigration while others don't mind that it is a couple of day old. TiT!

Edited by MJCM
Added: some words

2 hours ago, Madgee said:

I feel sorry for those who have used the Savannakhet route to live in Thailand. Many have families to support, have used their funds for this purpose and have no means of depositing 400k in a Thai bank. In the past, many have hoped that this would happen and knew it would cause family issues for those caught in the trap. Already I've received a message from a 'gloater', sad MF. 

Rules are rules, but to implement this new condition with no warning is unjust. 

Agree. It was inevitable that sooner rather than later, the Savannakhet loophole would be closed. 

Agree with you, but there were also people on here gloating about how they didn't keep money in a Thai bank like us tiny fools on extensions. If they couldn't see this coming the were the only ones.

Remember, be careful what you wish for/gloat over.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Agree with you, but there were also people on here gloating about how they didn't keep money in a Thai bank like us tiny fools on extensions. If they couldn't see this coming the were the only ones.

Remember, be careful what you wish for/gloat over.

I do not recall anyone referring to those who use extensions being called "Tiny Fools"......

I think you are exaggerating a tad............🤨

The screws just keep on getting tighter and tighter. I remember the good ole days of simply hopping in and out on visa exempts for years with no issues whatsoever. Boy have times changed. You could get a Non-O ME visa at most thai consulate/embassy with next day window service, now its 15 business days only via e-visa. Not a good harbinger of things to come. 

If the new rule in Savan is true, it wouldn’t surprise me as applying in Penang as far back as 2015, you needed to show your actual thai bank passbook with at least 400k. Now if Savan will not issue any multiple entry non-o, then its bad news for a lot of husbands and fathers but again, they could care less about us.

Its all good, enjoy it while you can. Worse case, deal with the Stasi at the local gulag or cough up the baht for the notorious agent extortion fee.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

For those over the age of 50, an agent assisted retirement extension is feasible. Few agents will assist with an extension based on marriage to a Thai, and those that do charge a fair bit to do so. Young married folks with limited funds have few options.

I assume ( and yes assumption is the mother of all cock ups) that most young married people will be working, and thus qualify for a B visa.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I assume ( and yes assumption is the mother of all cock ups) that most young married people will be working, and thus qualify for a B visa.

Married can work on an O visa (subject to the usual criteria on prohibited occupations etc.), they don't need a B - just a work permit and only need an income of 40,000. Whereas those on B's who are not married need an income of 50,000.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JGon said:

I just got back from Savannakhet, Laos. No Multi-Entry Non O Visa (I gave them 5000 baht and the lady at the counter gave me back 3,000 and said only single entry). Oh well... 

Could contain:

Did you get a same day service? Or did you apply on Friday?

4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Or get agent assisted visas. It is a,long trip to only get 90 days.

Bad but not quite that bad as a single entry can be extended by 60 days to 150 days.  The people I feel really sorry for are the offshore workers who used a MENO as it was intended.  They sometimes find it impossible to comply with the terms of the extension of stay route as their rotations don't allow time.

Given these changes, first HCMC and now Savannakhet wanting financials, I think the days of being able to obtain a MENO at either location are numbered - they may go over to Evisa.  What will the offshore workers do then?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

10 hours ago, transam said:

How do you know that, were you interrogating the others there...😉

Obviously you are not aware of the Thai Visas issued by Savannakhet. The Non O multi-entry Visa as Married to Thai has been a special situation at Savannakhet with no proof of 400,000 Thai banked money in your Thai bank account.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, decline said:

My multi-entry 1 year is up in a couple of weeks (from savannakhet)

Am I able to do a 60 day extension making it 14 months?

YES you can get a 60 Day family visit extension of stay at your local Thai Immigration office for 1900 Thai baht. Ask your local Thai Immigration office for their list of requirements.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Married can work on an O visa (subject to the usual criteria on prohibited occupations etc.), they don't need a B - just a work permit and only need an income of 40,000. Whereas those on B's who are not married need an income of 50,000.

I would think a large majority of those that work are teachers.

The salary requirements don't count for teachers on B visas.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I would think a large majority of those that work are teachers.

The salary requirements don't count for teachers on B visas.

You may think so and I would have previously agreed with you but there's an awful lot of foreigners working in Bangkok that are not teachers.  One of my Thai friends is an office manager with a reasonable sized multi national and she tells me that there are over 100 foreigners in her building alone.  Apparently they are well above the required foreigner to Thai employee ratio but they have an 'arrangement' with immigration. Part of her job involves administering that 'arrangement'.

Thailand, the country where nothing is as it seems. 😁

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1