Alcohol Sales Banned for End of Buddhist Lent This Upcoming Sunday

webfact

Ralf, I am not too sure if that is a good idea. I mean, you would be taking a risk. I wouldn't be able to guess what percentage of a risk it is though 🙂

But maybe, no one will say anything and you will be able to drink the beers 🙂

Very hard to predict. 

Also, I am also guessing that the worst that would happen there would be their confiscating the beers. 

Tell us afterwards what happened 🙂 If you go through with it. 

On 10/25/2023 at 7:15 AM, Tom H said:

How many alcoholics are in Thailand?

It's not about alcohol consumption per se but it is about the authorities paying lip service to the national religion. They used to do the same thing in the UK in the last century and still do to a much lesser degree in this century.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Pfft Buddhists...  plenty of 'plastic' Buddhists in LOS, even the Monks lol who I bet if they feel inclined, will get pissed.

No different to most, if not all, religions. How many people who celebrate Christmas are really Christian?

2 hours ago, hnorgaar said:

Maybe show some respect for the Thai culture and country, isnt it that you expect from foreigners living in your country?. We are guests here. And not the end of the world with 24 hours sobriety

The Thais will all be down on the beach Jomtien on Sunday drinking beer from the beach vendors, please don't preach to people, it's not against the law to drink, only buy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2023 at 5:18 AM, daveAustin said:

Many days through the year. Thought they would’ve moved on from this by now. People still drink, at home or otherwise. It doesn’t do the tourism sector any favours. Never mind; their country, their rules. 

stop drinking alcohol for a day and brew some green tea and get off your barstool and get some exercise and do something other then getting plastered. wear some deodorant and real shoes that day to show respect and take off the chang tank top. can't you do anything without being inebriated?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Seppius said:

The Thais will all be down on the beach Jomtien on Sunday drinking beer from the beach vendors, please don't preach to people, it's not against the law to drink, only buy

Although it is supposed to be against the law to drink on the beach. 

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

stop drinking alcohol for a day and brew some green tea and get off your barstool and get some exercise and do something other then getting plastered. wear some deodorant and real shoes that day to show respect and take off the chang tank top. can't you do anything without being inebriated?

Looks like someone had a few when they posted this 😀

15 hours ago, hnorgaar said:

Maybe show some respect for the Thai culture and country, isnt it that you expect from foreigners living in your country?. We are guests here. And not the end of the world with 24 hours sobriety

When they start showing me respect by not price gouging because I'm a dirty foreigner then I'll return the favour. Until then...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, hnorgaar said:

why do that if you don't care about the country? there's no requirement to like it to live here 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 10/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, Jaggg88 said:

It's not about alcohol consumption per se but it is about the authorities paying lip service to the national religion. They used to do the same thing in the UK in the last century and still do to a much lesser degree in this century.

And a quaint relic of colonial empire days, New Zealand (37.3% Christian) still has alcohol ban days Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, plus a more local one, until after 1pm on Anzac Day 25 April.

Though I don't ever recall hearing of hordes of whinging foreigners missing out on their daily barstool ales.

Edited by gomangosteen

On 10/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, Frankie baby said:

Don't know how they tie consumption of alcohol with religion. However it would be better to have a no-scams day instead, I think this would be more in-keeping with religion, although I'm not to sure why?

Not a scam, but it is a bit odd. I am surrounded by places  today selling Marijuana which used to open you up for big trouble. And also surrounded by closed bars unable to sell a legal product.