Heavy rain warning for 36 Thai provinces, flash floods and forest runoff predicted

webfact

rain-1.jpg

The Thailand Meteorological Department (TMD) today issued a heavy rain warning for 36 provinces, including Bangkok, cautioning against potential flash floods and forest runoff. The advisory follows the weakening of a high-pressure system that has dominated Northern Thailand and the South China Sea.

The eastern monsoon winds are now covering the lower northeastern region, the eastern region, and the Gulf of Thailand. This shift has resulted in heavy rainfall in these areas.

Additionally, the monsoon trough passing through the upper southern region combined with the southwesterly monsoon, which continues to prevail over the Andaman Sea, the lower southern region, and the lower Gulf of Thailand, is causing heavy rainfall in the southern region.

The public in the southern region is advised to be wary of dangers from heavy rainfall and accumulated rain, which may lead to sudden flash floods and forest runoff, especially in hillside areas near waterways and in low-lying areas.

The TMD’s seven-day regional weather forecast indicates a heavy rain warning from October 24 to 28. Waves in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand are around one metre high, but areas with thunderstorms can expect waves higher than 2 metres. Boat operators are urged to be cautious and avoid areas with thunderstorms.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo: Istock.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I would love to see some real investigative reporting on the sensational nature of the weather reporting this year.  I would like to see a comparison with previous years.  I have been in Thailand for 20 years and the weather is just the same as every other year.  Tropical rainstorms will happen when a country is situated in the tropics, do they not?

I think you might discover there is a global consensus amongst weather forecast services to indicate "worst potential" possibility to avoid  historical liability claims for under reporting or ignoring  risk indicators due to insurance claim liabilities as an example.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, aseanfan said:

I would love to see some real investigative reporting on the sensational nature of the weather reporting this year.  I would like to see a comparison with previous years.  I have been in Thailand for 20 years and the weather is just the same as every other year.  Tropical rainstorms will happen when a country is situated in the tropics, do they not?

Its a weather warning, quite right to. Of course they are issued each year when or if needed especially in relation to possible floods, and high seas for tourist and fishing boats.

• Like 1