Illegal pork smuggling operation busted in Bangkok, Thai DSI raids business properties

snoop1130

Pork-smuggling-1536x1152.jpg

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) launched a raid on a prominent company in Bangkok, hunting down two investors behind the sale of illegal pork. The police discovered around 200 kilogrammes of illegal pork contraband.

The raid followed a DSI investigation into an illegal pork smuggling operation importing carcasses, particularly frozen pork, into Thailand illegally. The case began in 2021 and continues to the present, with sufficient evidence to call in the suspects and press charges against those importing frozen pork, both as corporations and as individuals, rounding up to an initial six individuals.

The DSI operations resulted in raiding two central Bangkok locations, attempting to gather further evidence before incorporating it into the existing case. The investigation stemmed from the arrest of six individuals involved with a private shipping company, thus leading to the discovery of this company’s financial transactions and documents.

The company was found to be responsible for paying a private shipping firm to order frozen pork for import into Thailand via customs, falsely declaring the product as frozen food.

During the initial inspection, the company’s premises were found to be a commercial building selling various types of frozen meat and offal. It was also discovered that the back of the building was equipped for slicing frozen meat, and refrigerators were installed within the building.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of ธราธร บุ้งทอง Facebook

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Could contain:

Isn't pork about 200 Baht a kilo? How much profit can there be on 200 kilograms of pork even if you bought it for free. My cognitive skills are sinking fast and whenever I try not do maths in my head I make a silly mistake. 200 baht a kilo times 200 kilos is around 40000 total. Why don't the police go after some real criminals? 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

"...falsely declaring the product as frozen food". 

Maybe my brain isn't firing on all cylinders today - if frozen pork isn't frozen food, what is it? 

It probably has a definition under Thai Customs regulations. The term 'Frozen food(s)' can cover many non-meat items. Perhaps it was required to be declared as 'Frozen meat' or 'Frozen pork'

Then again, it could simply be poor translation or sloppy reporting.

6 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

1 month ago ! 

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-officials-tackle-environmental-concerns-over-4-5-million-kg-illicit-pork-burial

Already caught those guys?

And now raid a company over 200 kg?!

I must be missing something. Brown envelopes for DSI?

Probably not the whole story, they were targeting individuals, not Miss. Piggy...😝