IKEA to open new branch at Sukhumvit of Bangkok in December

webfact

image.jpeg

The Swedish furniture retailer IKEA will open its new branch, “IKEA Sukhumvit” under the “City-Center Store” concept at Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand on the first of December 2023.

The new store is considered to be the first “City-Center Store” in Southeast Asia. It will be located at The Emsphere shopping center.

It is the fourth branch of the retailer in Thailand while he other three include IKEA Bangna, IKEA Bang Yai and IKEA Phuket.

by Kanlayakorn Pengrattana

Top image: The infographic says “Hello Sukhumvit: 1 December 2023” by IKEA. Photo by Prachachat.Net.

Full story: ScandAsia 2023-10-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

I wonder how that will work out.

They need a lot of space to show a decent selection and a lot of space in that area is very expensive.

That means they have to sell a lot. Or, to be precise, they have to sell a lot more than now with the existing shops and online.

Will the additional shop bring so much more business?

Let's see.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A bit like the street food you'll pass on the way... affordable cr#p

Actually, if you selectively shop, IKEA can be a good resource for a number of items for the home, especially here in Thailand.  My partner and I are furnishing our new home and we just bought sisal area rugs from IKEA.  IKEA has a wide selection of carpets and rugs, which we have sometimes had trouble finding in the styles and sizes we want.

We like the sisal rug IKEA carries called Lohals, which comes in at least 3 sizes.  We've used them in a number of projects as they are a nice neutral and add texture to a space.   The biggest size, 200 x 300 cm, works well to anchor a living or dining room space.  We used two other matching Lohals, in a smaller size, for the hallway area.  They look great, are durable, and reasonably priced.  And, IKEA will deliver to your door--in our case, Pattaya.

IKEA can also be a good resource for large, upholstered ottomans, as they have a number of styles that come in a variety of fabrics.  We've used big, rectangle ones several times as combination coffee table/foot rests.  Put a big, decorative tray on one and you can set drinks on it like a regular coffee table.  The ones we bought also had built-in storage, always useful.  Big ottomans like this are also hard to find here in Thailand--a lot of the stores just carry the smaller footstools.

IKEA also has a good selection of housewares, picture frames, decorative items, outdoor furniture, storage items, and lighting.  Today we got a delivery of two Japanese-style paper floor lamps.  I liked the look, the shades are handmade, and, again, an item we haven't seen much of here when we shop around.  A lot of style for the money.  I think we've outgrown the putting-together-furniture stage of our lives, but IKEA is always still a fun visit for us.  We'll look forward to visiting the new city branch when it opens.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 7:28 AM, JohnOFphon said:

In reach of Phrom Phong bts station. A bit of a walk. There will be an elevated walkway from the station to the store...in progress.

A bit of a walk?  It's less than 400 metres from Louis Vuitton at Emporium. 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how that will work out.

They need a lot of space to show a decent selection and a lot of space in that area is very expensive.

That means they have to sell a lot. Or, to be precise, they have to sell a lot more than now with the existing shops and online.

Will the additional shop bring so much more business?

Let's see.

Do you know Central Embassy?  

Zara have 2 large units on 2 floors, and they pay zero rent. Other big name brands also pay nothing because they bring people to the mall. 

I suspect IKEA will have a very good deal as they are a major consumer magnet.   

I suspect that new IKEA will bring a lot of business because people living lower down Sukhumvit than Thonglor probably can't be bothered schlepping all the way out to Mega Bangna.  

I live in Udomsuk and I'd rather go to the new Ikea in Phrom Phong on the BTS than have to take a taxi to Mega Bangna, even though MB is a great mall with plenty of good shops. 

5 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Do you know Central Embassy?  

Zara have 2 large units on 2 floors, and they pay zero rent. Other big name brands also pay nothing because they bring people to the mall. 

I suspect IKEA will have a very good deal as they are a major consumer magnet.   

I suspect that new IKEA will bring a lot of business because people living lower down Sukhumvit than Thonglor probably can't be bothered schlepping all the way out to Mega Bangna.  

I live in Udomsuk and I'd rather go to the new Ikea in Phrom Phong on the BTS than have to take a taxi to Mega Bangna, even though MB is a great mall with plenty of good shops. 

I know Central Embassy exists. I see it from the street but I never had the desire to walk into that place.

I have little knowledge about retail and rents. If brands like IKEA can get a deal like that then that is obviously good for them.

But in general, I guess mall management companies will prefer companies which pay a lot of rent.

I was a few times in IKEA Bangna, it takes at least 1/2 hour for me to get there. I guess in the future I will go to the Sukhumvit branch with is 5min away from my home. But will I spend in total more money for IKEA. D don't think so.

And will I spend more money for other shops in the same building? Maybe. Like maybe I go to Swensons there instead of the Swensons in Terminal 21.

Maybe someone has some statistics about these places in Bangkok. Personally I think there are more than enough shopping malls in this town since years. More of the same will help to distribute the business from other malls. But will it add new business? I have my doubt.