Thailand objects to displaying of graphic images from Hamas attack on Israel

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Foreign Ministry has voiced disapproval over Israel’s publication of video showing the brutal killing of a victim, asserted to be a Thai national, at a UN General Assembly meeting.

The ministry’s statement described the victims being shown as being “inhumanly killed, injured and abducted” as a result of the conflict in Israel and Gaza.

“Such horrific brutality has stirred a sense of outrage, not only among Thais but, undoubtedly, among people worldwide,” according to the statement.

The ministry disapproved of the display of such footage, which does not afford the proper respect and due consideration to the deceased and his family.

The Thai ministry was referring to a clip shown by Israel’s permanent ambassador to the UN, Gilad Erdan, as he was addressing the special session of the UNGA on the Hamas-Israeli violence on Oct 26.

TOP: Israel’s Ambassador to the United Nations Gilad Erdan holds a paper with a QR code as he speaks to an emergency special session of the United Nations General Assembly on the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas at U.N. headquarters in New York City, U.S., October 26,.//REUTERS

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Screaming said:

It's all about money with the Thais. Nothing else matters to them.

By asking the israelis to show a bit of respect to families here by not showing the graphic images of their loved ones to the world how is that making them money? 

With a twist, a turn and a backflip perhaps?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Fake news.  Israeli propaganda.

I really do have to respond to this again. This comment is pure trolling so please stop it or back up your comment.

Try searching Google for "Hamas tied a pregnant woman to a chair, cut out the baby, stabbed it to death, cut off the woman's breasts and left her to die" - not a single match from a reputable news source.  (The Daily Mail, which appears as results #2 is not a reputable news source, but a sleazy UK tabloid filled with clickbait.)

Of course, if you have a link to some reputable news sources including all the details alleged, I'll retract.

As Aeschylus said two and a half millennia ago “In war, truth is the first casualty.”  Still true today.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Where do you get your information from?

If you wish I can link to the BBC which you don't like.

Al Jazeera, Youtube, UN Press, CNN, CSIS, politico.eu and many more

About 92,000,000 results (0.51 seconds) 

Hamas atrocities in Israel. Google/Youtube this.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Possibly, but with the consent of the victim's family.  It seems obvious that they did not consult the family of the Thai victim, hence the Thai government's protest.

I agree. Not good. I remember seeing my father who was dying of pancreatic cancer in a hospice on TV where a TV channel was doing a story. Public interest as they were doing a story on the hospice so no consent needed was what we were told at the time. I wasn't happy about that at all. This is a big mistake by the Israeli PR/propaganda machine but they want the truth out there.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Foxx said:

Try searching Google for "Hamas tied a pregnant woman to a chair, cut out the baby, stabbed it to death, cut off the woman's breasts and left her to die" - not a single match from a reputable news source.  (The Daily Mail, which appears as results #2 is not a reputable news source, but a sleazy UK tabloid filled with clickbait.)

Of course, if you have a link to some reputable news sources including all the details alleged, I'll retract.

As Aeschylus said two and a half millennia ago “In war, truth is the first casualty.”  Still true today.

Not that specific event but there is enough info in this report to see that Hamas are just backwards animals who haven't evolved since they were herding goats in the desert 2000 years ago.  They are cavemen with automatic weapons.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-video-of-hamas-terror-attacks-war-in-gaza/

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Yes that is terrible and Hamas are nutters, but do you think exploding bombs on pregnant women is somehow OK or better? Dead is dead. Both sides are utterly immoral

That you seem not to indicates a profound lack of judgement and understanding of the human condition.

18 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I believe this is what the topic is about.  Many other places to debate the war.
"The ministry disapproved of the display of such footage, which does not afford the proper respect and due consideration to the deceased and his family. "

How does the ministry feel about the constant stream of victim videos of road accidents, shootings, etc. that are continuously published in the Thai media? Holy double standards Batman!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry’s statement described the victims being shown as being “inhumanly killed, injured and abducted” as a result of the conflict in Israel and Gaza.

“Such horrific brutality has stirred a sense of outrage, not only among Thais but, undoubtedly, among people worldwide,” according to the statement.

I guess they now know how Hannah Witheridge's family must have felt when she was murdered in a similar fashion (head smashed in with a garden hoe) in Koh Tao and pictures of her naked body were put on social media.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-29544361

image.png.7c66cd916fc5e92a18abc6a51e21f1b6.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I guess they now know how Hannah Witheridge's family must have felt when she was murdered in a similar fashion (head smashed in with a garden hoe) in Koh Tao and pictures of her naked body were put on social media.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-29544361

image.png.7c66cd916fc5e92a18abc6a51e21f1b6.png

Not the same, unless the Thai government officially released the photos?  The point of this thread is that it was an official government briefing that featured the video of the Thai worker's decapitation.  There are thousands of other horrible videos and photos on social media, but this relates to an 'official' release.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not the same, unless the Thai government officially released the photos?  The point of this thread is that it was an official government briefing that featured the video of the Thai worker's decapitation.  There are thousands of other horrible videos and photos on social media, but this relates to an 'official' release.

Well, the murder was virtually identical. In terms of the release of images, the Thai police had a responsibility to ensure that those crime scene photos were not released. Do you think those photos would have been released if the victim was a member of a prominent Thai family? It was a disgrace and ultimately the government was responsible for the behaviour of the RTP.

But when a Thai is the victim they expect the images to remain hidden. They expect respect to be shown. A classic Thai double standard.

• Thanks 2