Vietnam scam alert: Thai men survive scam and physical assault

snoop1130

2012-22.jpg

A Thai TikToker issued a warning to other tourists after he and his friend survived a scam and physical assault by fraudsters in Vietnam.

The Thai man shared his experience in Vietnam in a video posted to his TikTok account @golf_sanit on Friday 27 October. He said in the caption.

“I fell victim to a scam in Vietnam. The scammers also tried to physically attack me. #vietnam #scamwarning.”

In the video, Golf explained that he and his friend rented electric skateboards at Ho Chi Minh Square in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam. Golf shared a picture of a Vietnamese man in a light blue shirt and told his followers that this man was involved in the fraudulent scheme.

Golf then went on to describe how he and his friend initially intended to rent electric skateboards for a ride around the square. They were initially informed that each skateboard would cost 600,000 Vietnamese dong (equivalent to 880 baht). Consequently, they handed over 1 million dong (1,470 baht) to the two male vendors.

They provided the vendors with two 500,000 dong banknotes and awaited 400,000 dong in change. However, the vendors only returned 40,000 dongs. The vendors claimed that they had communicated that the skateboards were priced at 60,000 dongs each and insisted that Golf and his friend had given them 100,000 dongs, not 1 million dongs.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via TikTok/ @golf_sanit

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

Years ago they tried the 'blackjack scam' ("Where are you from? My sister will go to your country to study. Come to my house for lunch. Then play blackjack against this rich guy. First use our money to play, but if you lose play with your money...") on me in Malaysia, which originated years earlier in Chiang Mai. Wonder, whether the Vietnamese have been to scammer school in Thailand too, LOL...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

There's too many noughts on Dong notes.   A Ho Chi Min taxi driver tried to short change me; luckily the hotel staff checked & corrected his 'mistake'.

Similar scams of shortchanging happened to my ex-wife and I in HCM many years ago. nothing alters, (I avoided the word, 'changes')!