Khon Kaen coffee shop brews up plea for sugar price control

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-10-30-145745.jpg

A renowned coffee shop in Khon Kaen called on the government to regulate sugar prices. Having been in business for over two decades, the shop is now grappling with the highest sugar prices it has ever encountered. This has led to serious concerns about the survival of the establishment.

Yesterday at 1pm, a reporter visited several beverage vendors in the area, including tea, coffee, and sweet drink sellers, following the price increase of sugar by 4 baht per kilogramme. The hike in sugar prices has impacted many vendors, particularly the famous Gra Ta coffee shop located next to the Government Savings Bank in the Salalang province of Khon Kaen.

Having run the business for over 20 years, the owner of Gra Ta, 55 year old Suneevorn Pojan has never witnessed such a surge in sugar prices. The 4 baht increase per kilogramme has severely impacted her business, as the prices of other essential ingredients like condensed milk, fresh milk, coffee, and even straws have simultaneously escalated.

The continuous price hike makes it difficult for her to sustain her business.

Over the years, the cost of raw materials has only risen without any decrease, causing a steady increase in overall costs, explained Suneevorn.

“The highest sugar price this year has been 25 baht, which has now reached 28 baht. This is the highest price since I started my business.”

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo: KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keithkarmann said:

All that sugar is not needed, that's why the sugar tax has been increased. Many cases of diabetes due to too much sugar. I always ask for my iced coffee with minimum sugar.

I never mentioned sugar. 

14 hours ago, it is what it is said:

carnation milk in coffee? if only the french had colonised, imagine the coffee, the bread and the bakeries...

Very much so - as here in Cambodia, a former French Colony. Many coffee shops and local family bakeries offering a wide selection of fresh products. Same for the wines, beers and cheeses. 

On 10/30/2023 at 7:09 PM, snoop1130 said:

renowned coffee shop in Khon Kaen called on the government to regulate sugar prices

I call on all the food sellers. 

The food vendors that cook my savory food dishes, leave out the sugar, I get enough sugar intake from the beer I drink. 

I don't want sugar added to my evening meal.

While we're at it, you bakers, bread bakers, STOP adding sugar to my bread. 😠

Edited by SAFETY FIRST