What’s more expensive in Thailand

Finspin

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I bought a Nikon F100 back in 2003. It was significantly cheaper it the US than in Thailand, so I bought it when visiting the US.

It was made in Thailand...

Lots of items are made in Thailand but cannot be sold here, something to do with the BOI 

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Lots of items are made in Thailand but cannot be sold here, something to do with the BOI 

It was sold here, the price was just much higher because of the taxes. 

Under the BOI, typically for the first few years the company would be exempt from corporate income tax and not have to pay VAT & duty in the production of their registered products, regardless of where they are sold. After the first few years of operation the company would have to pay VAT & duty on the products they sell domestically, while they would still enjoy an exemption on the products they export. 

There is a lot of variation of BOI benefits between different companies and BOI zones. It is, or at least was, a great program. 

V UK, most toiletries especially deodorants, decant quality Cheddar Cheese (just crap here & expensive) Quality Wine, Cider - IMO beer is about same price - no way is it cheaper unless you live in London

Pomegranate, quality lettuce, oranges, apples. some Veg way dearer. Butter/Spread. Vimto, good cordial... Robinsons imported not the foreign rubbish its Rank to the British palate pmsl

rest is covered... Main advatge - why would you want to live in a $ hit Hole like the UK? its a no brainer... 

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

You will be looking at the back of a toilet door for weeks.  Bring a good book.

You close the door?  How polite of you.

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2023 at 7:50 PM, Yellowtail said:

I bought a Nikon F100 back in 2003. It was significantly cheaper it the US than in Thailand, so I bought it when visiting the US.

It was made in Thailand...

Being an old thread and mostly comatose, I hope nobody minds a hijack.

What happened to Nikon in Thailand?  I bought a D5500 before Covid when all the shops in Fortune Town had Nikons.  Made in Thailand and $500 with the 18-55 kit lens.  This past year, I really have to look for any Nikon kit.  None of the shops in Fortune Town have any selection.  What's up with that?  I'd like to stay with Nikon glass.

Just so I'm not a complete hijacker, regarding the OP...  Bring vitamins, supplements, big boy aspirin (325 x 500), Tylenol/ Ibuprophen and caffeine tablets if that's how you get your fix.  Aspirin and caffeine are like hen's teeth and paracetamol and ibuprophen are much cheaper at Walmart back home if you buy the big bottles.

I ended up getting my caffeine on Lazada, for those days I just can't squeeze in a coffee.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

What happened to Nikon in Thailand?  I bought a D5500 before Covid when all the shops in Fortune Town had Nikons.  Made in Thailand and $500 with the 18-55 kit lens.  This past year, I really have to look for any Nikon kit.  None of the shops in Fortune Town have any selection.  What's up with that?  I'd like to stay with Nikon glass.

Just so I'm not a complete hijacker, regarding the OP...  Bring vitamins, supplements, big boy aspirin (325 x 500), Tylenol/ Ibuprophen and caffeine tablets if that's how you get your fix.  Aspirin and caffeine are like hen's teeth and paracetamol and ibuprophen are much cheaper at Walmart back home if you buy the big bottles.

I ended up getting my caffeine on Lazada, for those days I just can't squeeze in a coffee.

My 81 mg aspirin is B55 for a bottle of 60. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That's a good price, but I rarely found big boy aspirin, 325-500 mg.  And when I could find 325 or 500 mg, they were spendy, and usually out of stock.

Back home at Walmart 81mg (low dose) are $7.00 for 1000, so not too far off.  (And not worth packing for the difference)

Edited by impulse

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Nikon deep financial problems, (bleeding out for years)  and poor product update & new releases.   Customer base jumping ship, and would consider another line; Sony would be my choice, as have now, and would still start up with if starting again.  Nikon @ 17:20 of vid

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You're getting ripped off man ... I pay ฿50

image.png.7589240148b06936d2d1a0dfe20bbf08.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nikon deep financial problems, (bleeding out for years)  and poor product update & new releases.   Customer base jumping ship, and would consider another line; Sony would be my choice, as have now, and would still start up with if starting again.  Nikon @ 17:20 of vid

Thanks for that.  Years ago, I got away from Sony because of some of their $$$ proprietary storage.  But that was way back during CD's and mini-disks.  Looks like I need to give them another look see.  I never did get serious about photography so I probably won't be collecting many more lenses.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Thanks for that.  Years ago, I got away from Sony because of some of their $$$ proprietary storage.  But that was way back during CD's and mini-disks.  Looks like I need to give them another look see.  I never did get serious about photography so I probably won't be collecting many more lenses.

I do not remember what "my" first digital camera was, but I remember it used a 3 1/4" floppy and held about 10 pictures...

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I'm surprised they were being that kind to Nikon, as they were really more negative in the past about them.  Sony stopped providing their camera sensors, as a few used them, so they had to develop or source others.   Gave Sony quite the edge for a while.  Another plus for Sony is, their camera division is just that, part of a huge company, so if have a few bad years, not a problem.

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not remember what "my" first digital camera was, but I remember it used a 3 1/4" floppy and held about 10 pictures...

I 'member when I upgraded to 640x480 resolution.

• Haha 1

Thailand has it all now or at least Bangkok.

Proper whisky or whiskey

Shave cream

Antiperspirant deodorant

Immersion coil 😁

3-4 boxer short, 3 shorts, four shirts.

A bathing suit if you have one.

A quality, (waist), thin money belt.

If English, brown diabetic sauce

If English - stilton cheese.

If English, doubt you'll need large size condom but maybe ?? bring from home.

If English do yourself a favor and wear proper shirt not a T or especially team jersey.

Something for upset stomach you know and trust

Buy a mid phone here, anything else you need. It's all here now.

Don't bring sunscreen. Buy Japanese or Korean here. Much better for sun and skin.

Do not wear cargo shorts, singlets or bath flip flops anywhere*

• Confused 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:38 AM, Yellowtail said:

Where are all the nice two-bedroom places in central Bangkok for B30K a month? 

25-30k one bedroom, 45-50sqm. Close to MRT and/or BTS. Depends what you consider nice. Nothing jaw dropping, but a peg or two above typical

12 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

25-30k one bedroom, 45-50sqm. Close to MRT and/or BTS. Depends what you consider nice. Nothing jaw dropping, but a peg or two above typical

But the question was: "Where are all the nice two-bedroom places in central Bangkok for B30K a month?" 

One bedroom is not two bedrooms, and close to MRT and/or BTS does not mean the same as central Bangkok. 

I rent a nice 2-bedroom 70m^2 in Salaya for 13K, so what? 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

But the question was: "Where are all the nice two-bedroom places in central Bangkok for B30K a month?" 

One bedroom is not two bedrooms, and close to MRT and/or BTS does not mean the same as central Bangkok. 

I rent a nice 2-bedroom 70m^2 in Salaya for 13K, so what? 

Obviously, 2bdr doesn't exist and that is one reason you're out in another province altogether.

Pinklao maybe

Probably get an entire shop house out there for that money.

2bdr under 55sqm no good anyway as bdrs too small.

Where's all that USDA prime steak for 250kg?

Edited by BusNo8

6 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

Obviously, 2bdr doesn't exist and that is one reason you're out in another province altogether.

Pinklao maybe

Probably get an entire shop house out there for that money.

2bdr under 55sqm no good anyway as bdrs too small.

Where's all that USDA prime steak for 250kg?

Someone claimed earlier in the thread that "...in central Bangkok you can find a nice 2 bedroom place for 30,000 baht per month." which was what I was responding to. I think we agree. 

I'm not in another province, I rent the apartment for my boy that goes to school in Salaya. We rented a two bedroom for when we visit. 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:16 PM, Finspin said:

I’m coming to Thailand in December for 3 months as an experiment,  to see if I can live permanently on retirement later in 2024.

On 10/30/2023 at 8:16 PM, Finspin said:

I was thinking about what I need to bring with me

A time travel machine.

😂

• Confused 1