Non O/Marriage Application

I am an Australian currently on a multi entry Non O/ Marriage Visa. When I get to my last 90 day permission to stay I want to apply for a new Non O single entry in Thailand and then apply for 12 month marriage extension. My questions are:

1. Can I do it this way?

2. Does the 400000thb required in Thai bank account for 2 months prior have to come from overseas?

3 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

You already have a Non Imm O Entry.

Apply for a 12 month extension towards the end of your permission to stay.

400,000 in a Thai bank for 2 months.

Does not have to come from abroad.

I got my current visa from Savannakhet. So I can still apply for 12 month extension?

I want to do the same when my non-imm o multi-entry from Savannakhet expires next March.

(For obvious reasons, considering the recent changes to financial requirements at Savannakhet.)

My question is – would it be possible to do a retirement extension from this non-o (which is based on wife/family visit)?

That would appear to be changing the reason for extension – from a non-o imm based on marriage to an extension based on retirement.

Would that be allowed?

Why would I want to do this?

Well, because even though I'd be using an agent to do everything, I don't know whether the agent can bypass all those extra hassles that come with a marriage extension application.

I'm referring to the photos, the witness neighbour, the hand-drawn map, the enabling of immigration officers to come to your house and check on you!

I don't know whether those things are still necessary when going via an agent?

I imagine that those things can't be bypassed by the agent ?????

That's why the retirement route seems the better option.

But this may not be allowed as one is changing the reasons for holding the non-o to a different reason for applying for an extension.

Any ideas... preferably hard facts?

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

I want to do the same when my non-imm o multi-entry from Savannakhet expires next March.

(For obvious reasons, considering the recent changes to financial requirements at Savannakhet.)

My question is – would it be possible to do a retirement extension from this non-o (which is based on wife/family visit)?

That would appear to be changing the reason for extension – from a non-o imm based on marriage to an extension based on retirement.

Would that be allowed?

Why would I want to do this?

Well, because even though I'd be using an agent to do everything, I don't know whether the agent can bypass all those extra hassles that come with a marriage extension application.

I'm referring to the photos, the witness neighbour, the hand-drawn map, the enabling of immigration officers to come to your house and check on you!

I don't know whether those things are still necessary when going via an agent?

I imagine that those things can't be bypassed by the agent ?????

That's why the retirement route seems the better option.

But this may not be allowed as one is changing the reasons for holding the non-o to a different reason for applying for an extension.

Any ideas... preferably hard facts?

Thanks in advance.

You are currently on a 90-day Permit to stay based on your 1-year ME Non Imm O Marriage Visa. 

When wanting to apply at a Thai Imm Office for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Marriage Visa, that needs to be done first time for the SAME reason that the Visa was provided.

So for this first 1-year extension application in your case you can only do this for reason of Marriage. 

Making use of an Agent for an application based on Marriage is possible but due to the much larger administrative burden, such a service is much more expensive than an Agent service for a Visa and/or 1-year Extension application for reason of retirement.  And not all Agents provide that service for a Visa and/or Extension based on Marriage.

= = =

Also note that if you want in the future to change the reason for your 1-year extension of stay from Marriage to Retirement, that this is a 2-step process:

1 - The Imm Officer would first check whether you did meet the (financial) conditions under which your Marriage extension was provided.  

When that criterium has been met then

2 - The Imm Officer will check whether you meet the requirements for a 1-year extension of stay for reason of Retirement.  

Which means that you need to provide evidence of having met the financial requirements during the 12 months prior to the date of application

In other words, when you apply next March for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of Marriage, you should have already started with meeting the financial requirements for NEXT year's 1-year extension for reason of Retirement, otherwise you would not be able to meet that 12-months requirement.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've just been into Maneerat Travel – the often recommended agency on Soi 13.

(I'll only be doing any kind of extension through an agent, as I won't be able to meet the financial requirements if doing it alone.... therefore please keep comments/suggestions relevant to that situation.)

I first asked the question of whether this particular type of non-o could be extended (by them obviously) and the answer was an unequivocal yes.

Before I could even ask the question regarding whether the extension could be for retirement rather than for marriage, I was told “We can give you retirement extension from this non-o visa”.

(No misunderstandings - she had the passport page open with the  non-o multi-entry visa stamp in front of her.)

I had not even got round to asking that, so I just got her to clarify and confirm what she'd said.

I was even told that there was no need to wait, “can do it now” and takes 3 or 4 days.

The only unwelcome surprise was regarding the cost.

Although the basic service is 12,500 – as I expected – it costs 4,700 to open the bank account, which is listed as follows - on the printed costing slips they hand out:

500 baht “back to your account” (?)

700 baht for ATM card

3,500 baht for accident insurance (?)

(Plus 500 baht for residence certificate)

There's also a 4,000 baht charge to make it a multi-entry, or 1,000 baht for single entry.

I think that means one doesn't need a re-entry permit whenever one leaves Thailand, but 4,000 baht seems pretty steep – how much do they charge at immigration for a re-entry permit?

Cancel that, - I've just googled it and found the answer – those are the fees, so it all depends on how often – if at all – you plan or may have to leave Thailand.

Having a multi-entry will save trips to immigration, or the hassle at airports – where “fees may be higher”.

The final fee is for 90 day reports – 100 baht each – but they said I have to come to the office (I don't live in Pattaya) so they can take my passport to immigration and do it – can't they do it online?

Still, I'm not so concerned about 100 baht, but the optional 4,000 baht 'multiple-entry' can only represent value for money if one intends to go out of Thailand a lot.

So, in summary, Maneerat says they can convert from this non-o multi-entry based on marriage to an extension based on retirement, - in fact they suggested that before I could even get round to mentioning it.

And those are the latest fees – in print!

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, raysunshineray said:

how much do they charge at immigration for a re-entry permit?

A multiple re-entry permit at Immigration costs 3,800 baht. You can buy single re-entry permits (good for one trip from Thailand and return) for 1,000 baht (extra space in passport if doing multiple overseas trips).

On 11/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, raysunshineray said:

I've just been into Maneerat Travel – the often recommended agency on Soi 13.

(I'll only be doing any kind of extension through an agent, as I won't be able to meet the financial requirements if doing it alone.... therefore please keep comments/suggestions relevant to that situation.)

I first asked the question of whether this particular type of non-o could be extended (by them obviously) and the answer was an unequivocal yes.

Before I could even ask the question regarding whether the extension could be for retirement rather than for marriage, I was told “We can give you retirement extension from this non-o visa”.

(No misunderstandings - she had the passport page open with the  non-o multi-entry visa stamp in front of her.)

I had not even got round to asking that, so I just got her to clarify and confirm what she'd said.

I was even told that there was no need to wait, “can do it now” and takes 3 or 4 days.

The only unwelcome surprise was regarding the cost.

Although the basic service is 12,500 – as I expected – it costs 4,700 to open the bank account, which is listed as follows - on the printed costing slips they hand out:

500 baht “back to your account” (?)

700 baht for ATM card

3,500 baht for accident insurance (?)

(Plus 500 baht for residence certificate)

There's also a 4,000 baht charge to make it a multi-entry, or 1,000 baht for single entry.

I think that means one doesn't need a re-entry permit whenever one leaves Thailand, but 4,000 baht seems pretty steep – how much do they charge at immigration for a re-entry permit?

Cancel that, - I've just googled it and found the answer – those are the fees, so it all depends on how often – if at all – you plan or may have to leave Thailand.

Having a multi-entry will save trips to immigration, or the hassle at airports – where “fees may be higher”.

The final fee is for 90 day reports – 100 baht each – but they said I have to come to the office (I don't live in Pattaya) so they can take my passport to immigration and do it – can't they do it online?

Still, I'm not so concerned about 100 baht, but the optional 4,000 baht 'multiple-entry' can only represent value for money if one intends to go out of Thailand a lot.

So, in summary, Maneerat says they can convert from this non-o multi-entry based on marriage to an extension based on retirement, - in fact they suggested that before I could even get round to mentioning it.

And those are the latest fees – in print!

All those fees are reasonable for the service they're providing, in fact it's very cheap. I'm sure you're aware of all the ins and outs of using them for the without financials route. If not then maybe time to do a bit more research.

And no they can't do the TM47 online and neither can you if you live in another province.

You can either EMS or courier your passport to them and they EMS it back, or you go to their office in person and either wait around for it to get done or return to your home and they'll EMS it back.

22 minutes ago, smoo1954 said:

Further question relating to my OP. What would be the latest date to apply for extension? My current permission to stay ends 20/02/2024.

You can apply for an extension of stay based on Thai spouse right up to the last day of your existing permission to stay. (Note: if you are currently using a visa to enter Thailand, how do you have a current entry stamp that gives a permission to stay ending 20 Feb 2024? If you mean your visa expires on that date, the expiry of your permission to stay will depend on when you enter Thailand.)

Although able to apply for an extension of your permission to stay right up until the last day, it would be reckless to do so. Apply about three to four weeks before so you have time to react in the event of any problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, smoo1954 said:

Further question relating to my OP. What would be the latest date to apply for extension? My current permission to stay ends 20/02/2024.

Any time during the final 30 days of your permission to stay.

45 days at some offices.

However don't leave it too late in case of any issues.