It is time to abolish the death penalty in Thailand

webfact

On 11/1/2023 at 4:43 PM, sloeffert said:

This is a forum about Thailand, is it not? Why are arguments here mainly related to the USA (with its strange justice system)? If anyone is for or against the death penalty in Thailand, please provide supporting examples from Thailand and not from the US.
Which innocent people (and when) have been executed in Thailand?
How does the cost comparison - life versus death penalty - compare in Thailand?

etc.

At least the USA doesn't execute people for drug smuggling offences like Thailand does!

28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

At least the USA doesn't execute people for drug smuggling offences like Thailand does!

And therein lies the rub. You have some countries executing people for offenses that other countries see very differently. 5 years ago you could get the death penalty in Thailand for large scale weed production; now you can set up a shop!

Without getting into a debate about the rights and wrongs of the drug trade, I use this as an example of how shifting opinions can dramatically change what is and isn't illegal. And how would you and/or your family feel about a son being executed for being gay in Libya or for being an atheist in Pakistan or the numerous countries that execute people for having a different political leaning? In Thailand you can still be executed for treason, which I think we all can agree could be VERY subjective.

There's just too much arbitrary stuff going on in the world to justify the death penalty. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, ross163103 said:

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.

I see too many cases like the one I attached that could've been prevented; now in this example six lives were taken needlessly and multiple family members affected for the rest of their lives all because a scumbag that doesn't deserve to live "paid his debt to society", and was let out.

Another example I've linked--if it's allowed, is a guy who killed his 92 year old grandmother with a hammer, sent to prison for only 18 years, got out then set fire to a house to draw firefighters in, then shot four of them killing two. If he would've been put to death two lives would've been saved and numerous lives wouldn't have been negatively affected by this monster. You have to admit, someone who kills his grandmother with a hammer probably shouldn't be allowed back into society, and in my opinion should have been out to death.

I will admit systems aren't perfect and innocent people have been put to death. Life is not perfect and no perfect justice system exists.

This will be my last post on this as it's an issue that is black and white for most people and no amount of discussion will change whichever view they believe, kind of like the "Do you believe in god" thread that's been running for years on here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/webster-gunman-bushmaster-left-chilling-note/story%3fid=18062121

Could contain:

My issue, is everyone sentenced to death is found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Guilty as hell you say. 

So when they are found innocent decades later, and have already been executed or spent 40 years on death row, how do you deal with it? 

You might remember the Monty Python film Holy Grail where Lancelot kills a wedding party thinking they are the bad guys and later  has to walk through the murdered guests and loads of blood saying "Sorry, terribly sorry" when he finds out he was wrong. 

I simply want to avoid that happening. 

On 11/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, Thingamabob said:

In the 20th century in the USA 27 people were executed who were later found to be innocent. 

Thanks for the info. One is, of course, too many. It would be interesting to know how many were '100% fitted up' by the police. That's slightly different to police being convinced they've got their man according to profiling and gut feeling then suppressing the one and only item of contradictory evidence that would free him. That happened in U.K. Fortunately post capital punishment but the poor retarded guy suffered both physically and mentally during 16 years in jail and never recovered from the trauma. There is doubt over more than one historical case involving Home Office pathologist Sir Bernard Spilsbury but, so far, the British Criminal Justice system have avoided anyone 'opening a can of worms'.   

On 11/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, Thingamabob said:

In the 20th century in the USA 27 people were executed who were later found to be innocent. 

I take it you didn't read the article. the numbers are much bigger -

'In the United States, the Death Penalty Information Center reports that as of 2022, over 185 people have been exonerated and freed from death row'.

No and it should be instated/reinstated in every country world wide and several reasons for this.

#1 violent crimes are on the rise and are more and more violent and barbaric 

#2 soon we will lack resources such as water food so no reason for people to have committed horrible crimes benefit from them.

#3 who wants to pay taxes to keep scum alive.

#4 major deterrent to possible future criminals.

the west needs to find its pair of testicles it’s seems to have misplaced in the last couple decades.

wake up people!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1