Buying a house from gf - what can go wrong?

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He specifically stated that she will remain the land owner and he will be buying the house, not the land, that is permitted.

A foreigner can not buy an already built house Mr Know it all.

At best he can get a building licence for a new house in his name, and build that on land owned by a Thai.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

"He specifically stated that she will remain the land owner and he will be buying the house, not the land, that is permitted."

Finally SOMEBODY who can read AND understand -:)

So why are you talking about MY garden and that she won't be allowed on her own land?

You clearly don't understand.

Edited by FritsSikkink

2 hours ago, GypsyT said:

She's Thai. No loans on the house. She own the land.

I got cash in Foreign bank enough to pay in full.

I've read many advice and how-to-do but one thing is unclear; When do I pay the house?

Some say "Go to the Land office and sign all papers and THEN pay the house.

Some say "Pay 10% deposit (they don't say when; before or after signing) and agree the date when full payment is due.

Also, is 30-30-30 yr lease what I should ask? She'll be the land owner.

What's best?

NOTE: I don't have Thai bank account. Tried to open but could not w/o 1yr visa. Can I pay direct to seller?

Also, I'm not sure if I should I hire a lawyer to go through the papers? I fully trust her but she got the house by inheritance and don't know much of RE.

Thank you!

PS. I've had many properties in three countries so this is not my first rodeo but "Thailand is Thailand"...

🤦🏻‍♂️

36 minutes ago, BenStark said:
55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He specifically stated that she will remain the land owner and he will be buying the house, not the land, that is permitted.

A foreigner can not buy an already built house Mr Know it all.

Nonsense, foreigners can buy "already built houses".

• Thumbs Up 1

OP, unless you have been in a relationship with her for 3-5 years, don't go there.

Many relationships ends long before that, even if you think your girlfriend are different.

Many forum members have lived here in Thailand for 20-30-40 years.  Listen to what they say, about all the dangers and pittfalls. They don't do it to pi$$ you off, rather warn you against doing what you plan to do, by yourself.

It's irrelevant how many properties you bought before, in other countries.

Things are very different here.

If you knew how many relationships and marriages that don't last 5 years here, you would rush to a Lawyer asap, to avoid many future problems.

You must hire a Lawyer, before you start spending money.

@ThaiLawOnline 

He know the Law here. If you don't follow any advice already given, maybe you listen to those who work in the legal field.

• Love It 2

Tomorrow? Going to Vietnam. I hear there are good deals....

Seriously,

thank you all who KNEW something and warned/told me about pitfalls.

I didn't know it can be so difficult to buy a house. Also, land lease seems to be full of worms...

Time to reconsider the whole deal with my lovely baby.

And to those who were able to boost own miserable existence - You are welcome!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

You have been given lots of warnings by knowledgeably guys.  Take it.   I have read every thread in this sort of topic for 5 yesrs here and I concur on the advice given so far.  And my comprehension is good.  

But on a more basic level if a gf loves you and in her mind feels you will are her last lover then why would she ask for you to do this?

Your money will be there for both of you to dip into when ever needed.   Of course she wont control the purse strings.  

Or is this related to her  wanting to invest HER new wealth in HER business.   Hmmmm.  Try asking about creating a new legal company and you as a legal partner.  If you employ some Thais this can even get you a work permit.   She wants your money!  How did the knowledge of how much $ you have come about?  You bragging? Of course support is part of love in Thai culture but she wants to rob you. And she will get support from family and the village.  There are forums I've heard on FB where Thai women talk about these things. 

Edited by Elkski

Op. What exactly do you hope to gain from this?

Currently your gf has the house and land in her name. What advantage do you get from giving her a load of money to put the building in your name?

What freedom does that give you that you didn't have already? If you think that it'll give you the final say in any debates over what colour to paint the walls, think again. And if you think you *need* to be in that kind of position, then you have bigger issues...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Op. What exactly do you hope to gain from this?

Currently your gf has the house and land in her name. What advantage do you get from giving her a load of money to put the building in your name?

What freedom does that give you that you didn't have already? If you think that it'll give you the final say in any debates over what colour to paint the walls, think again. And if you think you *need* to be in that kind of position, then you have bigger issues...

Lets say you but this house!  Can you see living there for the rest of your life? Even if the relationship works?  You alluded to not liking the weather in Thailand as much as Italy but what about the noise, the local food, bottled water needed.    She nixed Italy without even a visit? 

The truth is no matter your feelings for this one Thai in a week or a couple months you could find better.  Perhaps tell her you need a month of solo travel to think about things and see her get desperate.   Be the nibbling fish who gets the bait without the hook. 

I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but I was always comparing costs to how many rentals you could have for the same expenditure.   

Edited by Elkski

7 hours ago, GypsyT said:

She's Thai. No loans on the house. She own the land.

I got cash in Foreign bank enough to pay in full.

Why do you want to buy the house in the first place? Unless it's something totally unique you can probably rent something similar. I understand in some rural areas renting anything of even basic quality is not possible so if you must there then buying makes sense I suppose.

17 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Why do you want to buy the house in the first place? Unless it's something totally unique you can probably rent something similar. I understand in some rural areas renting anything of even basic quality is not possible so if you must there then buying makes sense I suppose.

No it doesn't!

She has plans to rob him or otherwise use his money for her gain. 

If she thinks he is her dream man then they will have his money for ever to share.  

If sge needs money to expand her business and its a good idea sge can get a loan from a bank using the house as collateral.  

I dont blame Thailand for not letting foreigners own land.  Nit a bad idea now that china iwn5s so much farm land and food conglomerates from industrial farm to store.    But sad in the past Chinese moved to Thailand, changed their names slightly to sound thai and somehow gained citizenship  and expansive control in Thailand and are even highly respected because of their wealth. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Elkski said:

No it doesn't!

She has plans to rob him or otherwise use his money for her gain. 

Yeah it looks bad for sure. How can you even buy the house if she already owns it and he can't own it himself? There's no transfer of property, just cash in to her bank.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Are you going to build your own house on your girlfriends land? In that case you will have a contract with the builder and pay them in installments as building milestones are met

That's what it sounds like to me.  He already has a 30 year lease on the land and plans to build a house on it.  As someone else mentioned you should get a contract from the builder.  Usually about 10% is paid up front and the rest is broken down into payments based on completion of certain things, like foundation,, roof, electrical, plumbing, etc.

• Like 1

I'd be more interested in what she does the 8 months of the year your not here, is she actually free to marry? (and how many kids does she have) before I would even consider handing over a large sum of money to her. You can open a bank account here by the way, through an agent. Also what sort of sum are you talking about? 1/2 a million? 5 million? As said who's idea was it for you to buy? Have you seen the proof that She owns it? have you even visited the property? like check her ID against the ownership papers that to the best of my knowledge only the land office has, having her name in the house book does not mean she owns it.

Sorry to disillusion you mate but be prepared to get scammed. 

• Thumbs Up 1