Buying a house from gf - what can go wrong?

On 11/2/2023 at 11:43 AM, BenStark said:

This surely must be a wind up troll post.

Why would you go to the land office when it can't be transferred to a foreigners name?

If you’re “married” to a Thai then the foreigner would accompany the wife to the land office to pay the said amount and sign papers to exclude you from any ownership. I would assume you don’t go if not married

On 11/2/2023 at 5:40 PM, freeworld said:

There is land and a house (both existing one would assume)

What do you need to pay anything for then?

If there was genuine love and trust then your TGF would let you stay free for the rest of your life.

Batman, I know a Thai girl wants to sell me her house.

Could contain:

On 11/2/2023 at 12:31 PM, GypsyT said:

If things go south hard to believe she would have even right to visit the land

If things go far enough south, she surely can muster more family and friends than you can - - - and they can make living there very very unpleasant... 

sometimes in life you need to take a chance. I always told my wife if she wants me to go, just give me a day or 2 and I will be gone... 

On 11/2/2023 at 11:40 AM, freeworld said:

There is land and a house (both existing one would assume)

What do you need to pay anything for then?

If there was genuine love and trust then your TGF would let you stay free for the rest of your life.

have you ever heard or experienced the simple fact that 'things change' - - 

How many divorced couples throughout the world began w/plenty of love and trust? 

I have thought hard about your idea.

This is what I would do , tell her to go to a bank and get a bank loan or mortgage on her house.

Then you pay the installments on the bank loan.

This way she gets her lump sum money and you get the protection of if anything goes wrong you just stop paying the installments.

Then all you have lost is the monthly payments you had made which would only be the simalar to renting a place .

There is no point in you trying to buy the house because although you can register the house in your name you cant register the land its built on in your name. 

So even if you leased the land from her for a maximum of 30 years. 

Imagine the problems if you split up , your house sat on her land to messy.

On 11/2/2023 at 5:22 AM, GypsyT said:

I've read many advice and how-to-do but one thing is unclear; When do I pay the house?

Some say "Go to the Land office and sign all papers and THEN pay the house.

Some say "Pay 10% deposit (they don't say when; before or after signing) and agree the date when full payment is due.

Also, is 30-30-30 yr lease what I should ask? She'll be the land owner.

What's best?

NOTE: I don't have Thai bank account. Tried to open but could not w/o 1yr visa. Can I pay direct to seller?

You need to be aware of that you can pay for the house, but might not own it. To own a house – but not the land under the house – the house needs to be separated ownership from the land from when it was built, or being a new house that you are building. For that purpose – building a house – you preferably need a superficies agreement, or any other similar permission from the land owner, plus a building permission in your name and all construction papers and payments in your name.

If the house is already separated from the land, and only in that case – do a due diligence before you agree anything – you can be house owner. A foreigner can own a house in Thailand, but n ot the land under the house (investor visa is an exception). You would normally make a deposit, which can be 10%, when you sign an agreement to buy property. Balanced is normally pay when title deed is transferred at the land office, payment method need to be agreed; i.e., cash or cashier's cheque.

You should preferably have a separate agreement also for using the land under the house, and that agreement should be registered at the land office on the back of the title deed. It can be a 3- to 30-years lease, a usufruct or a habitation right; the latter two can last for either up to 30 years, or your life, while a lease only can be for a specified period up to 30 years. A lease will cost (you) some tax payment at the land office, while usufruct and habition only costs minor fees.

No matter what agreement you make, if a relationship goes south, you might – in worst case scenario – not wish to stay in the house you own, no matter which paperwork you have secured yourself with. Therefore, this good old advice is worth to keep in mind: "Never invest more in Thailand that you can afford to lose".

On 11/2/2023 at 11:32 AM, BE88 said:

Having faith in your GF is good but consulting a good lawyer to protect yourself from any future disputes is better.

Good luck

Thai lawyers? A very large proportion of Thai lawyers are fraud facilitators. You think a bar girl is an opportunist crook meet their partners in crime. Trust a Thai lawyer at your peril. Not all of course. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Shop mak said:

@GypsyT

Here is a good read for you. Read it a few times, one realize that one need to consult a lawyer.

Thank you!

Very good and clear advice.

Laws in Thailand are similar to Hawaii. A big mess...

I had lease hold property on Big Island, Leilani Estates, and what a head ache it was trying to develop. Luckily California gay community (nice bunch of people) moved in and bought many lots, including mine, and I got nice profit.

Just got lucky, specially when Kilauea lava flow took over this beautiful land;

"Lava flows through what was a residential area of Leilani Estates in Hawaii on June 16, 2018."

So, I doubt my gf can create bigger destruction than Kilauea. Time to follow one sarcastic suggestion and hand over the dough w/o any paper work and move in.