VPN Router and AIS

georgesch

Hello all.

I have a a separate VPN router (for ExpressVPN) that I have used for years to link my Roku to for USA access. The VPN router goes through the AIS router. This has worked fine until we upgraded the AIS service and received a new AIS router. Now my VPN router cannot access the VPN servers, but can access the normal internet. I have talked to ExpressVPN support but it seems to boil down to the AIS router blocking the other router. Has anyone else experienced this problem? And more importantly, have a workaround?

Thanks, g

Is there any option, perhaps in firewall  config page of AIS router, to allow vpn protocols through ?  Such as L2TP, IPSEC, TLS, etc .

Another option might be to use  a DMZ port on the AIS router if provided. This exposes the VPN router directly to the internet ( as does bridge mode) so you need to have the vpn router configured properly to prevent remote access and hacking. Hopefully, the vpn router is getting routine security updates ?

Edited by degrub
  • Like 1

Thanks and apologies, i have been away for a few days.

I am puzzled because I can reach the VPN server through my computer even when it is connected to the VPN router. So, the signal path goes through both routers without a problem, and then suggests that the AIS router is not the problem.

I think I have to go back to ExpressVPN.

Best regards, g

BTW, I apparently stumped SNB!

What you may want to try is to re download the ovpn (assume using OpenVPN) server file(s) from your vpn provider, install it on your router along with any keys or certificates and then set the DNS to exclusive or strict mode to resolve DNS using expressVPN DNS. You might have a DNS conflict. So best to verify how your setup is managing DNS.

Also, what router are you using for the VPN? Is it in bridge mode or connected as a wireless/ethernet router mode?

Edited by shipwrecked