Homeless and sleeping in his car in Pattaya

balo

I am not sure where to go with this, since I am not in Thailand. 

But there is a guy who claims he is homeless and now have to sleep in his car in Pattaya, he is trying to sell the car but so far no buyers . He is not in great shape, and is 60 years old. But he does not drink or are involved in stupid things, just his money ran out. 

What type of temporary help can you get for foreigners in Pattaya if there is such a thing , I have already told him about the Norwegian Seamans church. He does earn money remotely, so should be able to survive but the critical time is from today until the end of the month. 

Edited by balo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kenchamp said:

Well assuming his car is not a total wreck and he has the blue book in his name then it will be worth something to sell. I can't recall ever seeing a car in Thailand for sale for less than about 30k so even that small amount should last him at least a month.

Or less. Then what happens to the guy.

Edited by norfolkandchance
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, balo said:

What type of temporary help can you get for foreigners in Pattaya if there is such a thing , I have already told him about the Norwegian Seamans church.

His embassy will only help to contact family back home, and if they send money to Thailand, he will get it.

No emergency loan from the embassy.

Seamans church should be able to feed him, as a minimum.

* Sell on action:

https://www.collingbourne-auctioneers.com/

Used them myself for selling other things, didn't get half as much as expected.

Norwegian community seems very small here, and if he don't have any foreigner friend here who's willing to feed him, then loan from a family member back home is maybe his last option?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

His embassy will only help to contact family back home, and if they send money to Thailand, he will get it.

No emergency loan from the embassy.

Seamans church should be able to feed him, as a minimum.

* Sell on action:

https://www.collingbourne-auctioneers.com/

Used them myself for selling other things, didn't get half as much as expected.

Norwegian community seems very small here, and if he don't have any foreigner friend here who's willing to feed him, then loan from a family member back home is maybe his last option?

Is he Norwegian then ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenchamp said:

Well assuming his car is not a total wreck and he has the blue book in his name then it will be worth something to sell. I can't recall ever seeing a car in Thailand for sale for less than about 30k so even that small amount should last him at least a month.

My understanding is the car belonged to his ex wife , he picked it up from her place a few weeks ago. He divorced from her years ago but the car was registered in his name so that should be ok. 

He tried to sell this car with a dealer now for 3-4 weeks but no buyer,  I would think he is asking for more than 200k for the car. 

He is on a tourist visa, does not live in Thailand anymore but in another Asian country. 

I am not sure which brand of car, but that would be easy to find out. 

38 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Good question.

No, just a tourist visa. He only stayed in Thailand for a few weeks, after he was involved in a financial problem in the other Asian country he lives in. He just came here to sell the car and the bike. Bike already sold and no more money to spend. 

Edited by balo

Just today I had an encounter with a 92 yo American who is nearly blind, quite deaf, spoke no Thai, and obviously skint. The staff at the restaurant asked me to translate what he wanted. He was talking to them loudly, probably as a result of his deafness.

I was shocked to see him get on the back of a scooter with no helmet. I was wondering how he would handle the annual trek to Immigration, given his handicaps.

The only useful advice I can give the OP's person is - go home. Thailand is no place to be without any means of support.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, balo said:

He just came here to sell the car

12 minutes ago, balo said:

My understanding is the car belonged to his ex wife

If car is not in his name, no POA to sell it, he creates more problem by attempt selling it, illegally.

Auction will decline.

Sell car as parts and maybe get less than 10% value.

When ex-wife wants the car back, and find out .....

I am all for help people in real emergency, but since you don't know him personally, don't you think you should avoid to be involved when ownership of car is unclear?