Homeless and sleeping in his car in Pattaya

balo

1 hour ago, bignok said:

1 go home

2 get a job

I need to repeat my post then , he do have a job, working remotely.  He normally get paid at the end of the month, not a lot  but enough to live in Asia. So this is temporarily. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, balo said:

No, just a tourist visa. He only stayed in Thailand for a few weeks, after he was involved in a financial problem in the other Asian country he lives in. He just came here to sell the car and the bike. Bike already sold and no more money to spend. 

Posting details of the car - make, model, year, odometer would help determine if 200,000 baht is reasonable. Many sellers think they will get what the car yards are asking.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Just today I had an encounter with a 92 yo American who is nearly blind, quite deaf, spoke no Thai, and obviously skint. The staff at the restaurant asked me to translate what he wanted. He was talking to them loudly, probably as a result of his deafness.

I was shocked to see him get on the back of a scooter with no helmet. I was wondering how he would handle the annual trek to Immigration, given his handicaps.

The only useful advice I can give the OP's person is - go home. Thailand is no place to be without any means of support.

Was this in Pattaya. Very time we go down there we see so sorry sights.

5 minutes ago, balo said:

I need to repeat my post then , he do have a job, working remotely.  He normally get paid at the end of the month, not a lot  but enough to live in Asia. So this is temporarily. 

Well in that case he's 60 year old an in his entire adult life he's yet to figure out how to manage money.  This isn't the place to live if he's living paycheck to paycheck.  And if he's living paycheck to paycheck, how long has he been overstaying?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

Well in that case he's 60 year old an in his entire adult life he's yet to figure out how to manage money.  This isn't the place to live if he's living paycheck to paycheck.  And if he's living paycheck to paycheck, how long has he been overstaying?

He had lots of saved money, the story is more complicated than that, but I can not reveal all the details on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If there are no other recommendations about this than we already are aware of , I would ask the moderator to close the thread before midnight.  If you want to buy the car PM me and I will try to find out more. 

My understanding is he managed to borrow some money for food already. Thanks.

Edited by balo
  • Haha 1

He needs only 7,500 minimum for food until end of month.

A desperate quick sale to second hand car shop, equals very low offers.

If he want the cars actual value, he must hand over the car to the shop now, and wait for a buyer.

Can't see solution in this case other than find another Norwegian willing to borrow him enough to survive (B7,500).

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, balo said:

If there are no other recommendations about this than we already are aware of , I would ask the moderator to close the thread before midnight.  If you want to buy the car PM me and I will try to find out more. 

My understanding is he managed to borrow some money for food already. Thanks.

Post the details of the car when you have them ready

2 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

He needs only 7,500 minimum for food until end of month.

A desperate quick sale to second hand car shop, equals very low offers.

If he want the cars actual value, he must hand over the car to the shop now, and wait for a buyer.

Can't see solution in this case other than find another Norwegian willing to borrow him enough to survive (B7,500).

Good luck.

I'm sure he'll get the actual value and all his troubles will be over.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

if he is really skint he could be better off here then in home country. he won't freeze or get attacked and food is pretty cheap. being homeless is very dangerous in many places, people attack and rob, it's not pretty. here he is safe mostly.

So if he is caught on overstay and thrown into IDC that will help his cause.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is such a sad predicament. I had a very good American friend many years ago who ended up in the same predicament, he was smart, he worked hard, great sense of humor and alot of passion for life. He just had a streak of bad luck and ran out of money. After much effort trying to stay here, he ended up moving back to America, as his family offered to help. The only job that he could get back there was working in a Kmart and he was so depressed after 6 months he took his own life. 

He wanted more than anything to be able to return to Thailand and he just couldn't see a clear path to making that happen. It is very, very sad and I would not wish that fate upon anybody. He was a really great guy. I still miss him, and I am sure many feel the same way. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

So if he is caught on overstay and thrown into IDC that will help his cause.

no, would not help it. it's about choosing the best option. likely he would be arrested if homeless back in home country as well.

if i had to choose homelessness back in the usa or overstay here, i would choose here.

Edited by JimTripper

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

it's about probabilities and stalling for time. danger starts for him the minute he returns to home country to live on the streets. here he could go years without being caught. no easy solution either way.

people like to think that returning to the home country is an easy answer because you can just forget about them and think it's ok, but it's not usually unless you have family or a support network already there.

if i had to choose homelessness back in the usa or overstay here, i would choose here.

Depends upon his home country. I imagine Norway looks after those down on their luck. 

New to us, that a Farang has to live in a car in Thailand. As sad as this is, hopefully a rare event an not a trend.

Os opposed to "the richest country of the world", where an alarming number of people have to live in tents or their cars.

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

it's about probabilities and stalling for time. danger starts for him the minute he returns to home country to live on the streets. here he could go years without being caught. no easy solution either way.

people like to think that returning to the home country is an easy answer because you can just forget about them and think it's ok, but it's not usually unless you have family or a support network already there.

This isn't about returning to the USA.  He would be going back to Norway, famous for their generous welfare state benefits.

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

This isn't about returning to the USA.  He would be going back to Norway, famous for their generous welfare state benefits.

that's usually a fallacy. people think that about the usa also. the reality is you probably don't get much help most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Norway is one of the best welfare states in the world, isn't it?

The problem would be scraping enough money to get home and also there may be some delays in getting the welfare. It may take them several weeks to process.

Can he start processing the welfare while still in Thailand via phone or email? I would try contacting the welfare office in Norway and see what is possible. They will perhaps require him to be resident there, though, but it doesn't hurt to call. 

• Thumbs Up 1