Two Young Foreigners Dead, One Injured After Car Driver Crashes into Motorcycle

webfact

Phuket—At 1:00 AM, on November 5th, 2023, the Chalong police officers received an accident report in front of the Friendship Beach Resort, Mueang, Phuket.

At the accident scene, according to the Rawai rescue report, there was one sedan and one motorcycle found heavily damaged.

Ms. Irina Pustovalova, a 41-year-old Russian car driver, suffered a minor injury and was treated for the wound at the scene of the accident before being transferred to the Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Nearby, Mr. Nickolas Joseph Ayuob, a 21-year-old American motorcyclist, and Ms. Schintgen Cey-Lan, a 19-year-old Luxembourger passenger, were tragically found dead.

Edit: Pics and video removed due to shocking content

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-11-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 1

It's dangerous on Thai roads 24/7. And in Pattaya and Phuket in particular. Many inexperienced foreigners want to enjoy the feeling of freedom on a bike without a helmet. Just the stars and the warm wind at night.

However, accidents can happen and a bike is not the safest vehicle on roads. To drive a car will give you always chances to survive a crash.

Remember that Swedish girl a week ago?

Some pay with their lives for foolishness.

RIP

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The car was a BYD Atto 3, a really fast car and easy to overspeed, it is quiet and accelerates very fast. it has a motor with 204 HP, the power is instantly available at any time. 

But it also has many safety features to prevent front collision, I think it didn't work in this case because the driver changed lane just before hitting the bike, so the safety system of the car didn't have enough time to stop it. 
I have the same car and very occasionally it falsely detects that I am going to hit something when I am driving on a curve.

Other times when I change lane it swerves the car aggressively back in the lane if there is a motorbike.

What a shame she didn't die. RIP looks like she drives straight at them.

58 minutes ago, brfsa2 said:

The car was a BYD Atto 3, a really fast car and easy to overspeed, it is quiet and accelerates very fast. it has a motor with 204 HP, the power is instantly available at any time. 

But it also has many safety features to prevent front collision, I think it didn't work in this case because the driver changed lane just before hitting the bike, so the safety system of the car didn't have enough time to stop it. 
I have the same car and very occasionally it falsely detects that I am going to hit something when I am driving on a curve.

Other times when I change lane it swerves the car aggressively back in the lane if there is a motorbike.

That is why I didn't buy a new car, the sensors were crazy, someone goes across at normal speed from a U turn and the car started shuddering. If I brought one I'd smash all the sensors, (except the reverse one), that's what my eyes are for.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What a shame she didn't die. RIP looks like she drives straight at them.

That is why I didn't buy a new car, the sensors were crazy, someone goes across at normal speed from a U turn and the car started shuddering. If I brought one I'd smash all the sensors, (except the reverse one), that's what my eyes are for.

In the BYD Atto 3 you can disable all of them. I also have eye and prefer that 😄

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Road does not narrow there.

I see many Russian drivers, bike and car, driving with no regards for other road users.

Sad, RIP

Search for Russian Driving on Youtube and you see that traffic there is even worse than here.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brfsa2 said:

(In our Mazda) I was passing another car at speed on the expressway & the safety features kicked in & slammed on the brakes as I was approaching the car in front & switching to the right most lane.

Scared the living daylight out of me & the car following nearly hit us & that driver was rightly furious. 

It’s a valid comment to wonder why the safety features of that modern EV didn’t kick in… not so much as a flicker of a brake light in the video.

2 hours ago, brfsa2 said:

So it's quite possible there could have been 'auto drive' features in play here? I am not familiar with this car make/model at all.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(In our Mazda) I was passing another car at speed on the expressway & the safety features kicked in & slammed on the brakes as I was approaching the car in front & switching to the right most lane.

Scared the living daylight out of me & the car following nearly hit us & that driver was rightly furious. 

It’s a valid comment to wonder why the safety features of that modern EV didn’t kick in… not so much as a flicker of a brake light in the video.

Here is the driver's manual for the BYD ATTO 3 in particular the PEBS.

This is just a precis of the limitations of the Predictive Emergency Braking System (PEBS) of the BYD ATTO 3 from the Owners Handbook:

NB (DUI and/or speeding is not included)

• The Predictive Emergency Braking System (PEBS) is not a substitute for the driver’s attention and responsibility. The driver should always drive carefully and be ready to brake or steer away when necessary.
  • The PEBS may not work properly in some situations, such as bad weather, complex traffic, or sensor malfunction. The system may not detect some objects, such as animals, bicycles, motorcycles, or pedestrians. The system may also be affected by the shape, color, or reflectivity of the vehicle ahead.
  • The PEBS may trigger false alarms or unnecessary braking in some cases, such as when the vehicle passes a curve, a bridge, a tunnel, a toll station, or a metal plate on the road. The system may also misjudge the distance or speed of the vehicle ahead, or mistake other objects for vehicles.
  • The PEBS may not be able to prevent collisions in some scenarios, such as when the vehicle is driving at high speed, when the vehicle ahead brakes suddenly or changes lanes, when the vehicle skids or slides, or when there is insufficient braking distance or time.

BYD-ATTO-3-Owners-Handbook-2022.pdf (bydautomotive.com.au)

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Given the rear light being a single bar across the full width of the vehicle, pretty sure she was driving a Haval H6 SUV.   From her Facebook page, it appears that she's the CEO of her own property company, and with a very young child.

3 hours ago, brfsa2 said:

Holy hell. A car that can control your driving???

No thanks.🙃😘

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

I am not an accident investigator, nor do I play one on AN.

I see a couple on a bike buzzing along minding their own business in the left lane, no other traffic around, bike was showing a tail light.

Car was in the middle lane at the junction and moved to the left (does the road narrow there?) and shunted the bike up the rear, no brake lights until after the collision.

Car was definitely not hanging around (I never was any good at judging speed from video) but was travelling a lot faster than the bike.

Only one to blame, car driver. Awaiting the result of an alcohol test.

RIP two youngsters who did nothing wrong 😞 

Correct. Thats Thailand. You cant trust others. I ride a bike almost on the grass to avoid this.

• Like 1