Two Young Foreigners Dead, One Injured After Car Driver Crashes into Motorcycle

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Ms. Irina Pustovalova, a 41-year-old Russian car driver, suffered a minor injury and was treated for the wound at the scene of the accident before being transferred to the Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Complete idiot with no driving skills

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Ms. Irina Pustovalova, a 41-year-old Russian car driver, suffered a minor injury and was treated for the wound at the scene of the accident before being transferred to the Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Nearby, Mr. Nickolas Joseph Ayuob, a 21-year-old American motorcyclist, and Ms. Schintgen Cey-Lan, a 19-year-old Luxembourger passenger, were tragically found dead.

One more data point.  The lady with 4 wheels and seatbelts suffered a minor injury, while the couple on 2 wheels both died.

Same accident, even.

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Here is the driver's manual for the BYD ATTO 3 in particular the PEBS.

This is just a precis of the limitations of the Predictive Emergency Braking System (PEBS) of the BYD ATTO 3 from the Owners Handbook:

NB (DUI and/or speeding is not included)

• The Predictive Emergency Braking System (PEBS) is not a substitute for the driver’s attention and responsibility. The driver should always drive carefully and be ready to brake or steer away when necessary.
  • The PEBS may not work properly in some situations, such as bad weather, complex traffic, or sensor malfunction. The system may not detect some objects, such as animals, bicycles, motorcycles, or pedestrians. The system may also be affected by the shape, color, or reflectivity of the vehicle ahead.
  • The PEBS may trigger false alarms or unnecessary braking in some cases, such as when the vehicle passes a curve, a bridge, a tunnel, a toll station, or a metal plate on the road. The system may also misjudge the distance or speed of the vehicle ahead, or mistake other objects for vehicles.
  • The PEBS may not be able to prevent collisions in some scenarios, such as when the vehicle is driving at high speed, when the vehicle ahead brakes suddenly or changes lanes, when the vehicle skids or slides, or when there is insufficient braking distance or time.

BYD-ATTO-3-Owners-Handbook-2022.pdf (bydautomotive.com.au)

A car that dictates to me.

I've got a non-driving wife who does that.

Why would anyone purchase one of these death machines?????🙃🙃

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Given the rear light being a single bar across the full width of the vehicle, pretty sure she was driving a Haval H6 SUV.   From her Facebook page, it appears that she's the CEO of her own property company, and with a very young child.

The BYD and Haval may be very similar from the rear, but it was a BYD.

Russian Driver Crashes With A Motorbike, Killing 2 Foreigners in Phuket (khaosodenglish.com)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LosLobo said:
  • The Predictive Emergency Braking System (PEBS) is not a substitute for the driver’s attention and responsibility. The driver should always drive carefully and be ready to brake or steer away when necessary.
  • The PEBS may not work properly in some situations, such as bad weather, complex traffic, or sensor malfunction. The system may not detect some objects, such as animals, bicycles, motorcycles, or pedestrians. The system may also be affected by the shape, color, or reflectivity of the vehicle ahead.
  • The PEBS may trigger false alarms or unnecessary braking in some cases, such as when the vehicle passes a curve, a bridge, a tunnel, a toll station, or a metal plate on the road. The system may also misjudge the distance or speed of the vehicle ahead, or mistake other objects for vehicles.
  • The PEBS may not be able to prevent collisions in some scenarios, such as when the vehicle is driving at high speed, when the vehicle ahead brakes suddenly or changes lanes, when the vehicle skids or slides, or when there is insufficient braking distance or time.

All of these things happene every time I get in my car, apart from bad weather.

I will never purchase a vehicle with anything like this, I'll do it the old fashioned way for the foreseeable future.

Only when these automated systems are several hundred times better than a human controlled vehicle will I consider one - I'm sure that day will come but it's just not time yet.

Having said that I have no idea if it had anything to do with this accident, it's just that whenever I go out on the roads I'm surrounded by complete idiots who make seemingly random moved all the time, any quick breaking reaction by my vehicle would result in the tailgater behind me crashing into me - and there's nearly always someone driving just a few feet behind swerving from lane to lane to get slightly ahead, even on a busy road with a red stop light in view 🙄

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Looks like she was oblivious to the motorcycle... speeding and just rear-ended them.

Being drunk tends to decrease motor function and skills. Her reaction time would of probably been the main reason due to intoxication. Well lit roadway.

Could be wrong hut highly doubt it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Correct. Thats Thailand. You cant trust others. I ride a bike almost on the grass to avoid this.

I don't ride a bike at all to avoid this.

Second year I was here I bought one, road it and observed reality.

End of second year I sold it.

It simply invites carnage to ride a motorcycle here. Statistics show this irrefutable fact every single year.

I understand that for many there is little choice. But if you have a choice, choose life.

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I hate the "safety" sensors on my car. The lane sway detector pulls me back into danger when I am moving away from something on the side of the road e.g. a dog, vendor, pedestrian etc. The collision detection slams the brakes on when I am doing a U-turn on a narrow road or go down a sudden dip in the road. 

Fortunately they can be turned off but that has to be done every journey. Very, very annoying.

RIP to the 2 on the motorcycle. Being rear ended like that is my biggest fear on my motorbikes (it actually happened to me in 2020, resulting in 6 broken bones) and one reason that I tend to ride a bit faster than the traffic flow. In this case, the driver was going so fast that you'd have to be going stupid speeds to stay ahead. She should be charged with manslaughter. Probably reading something on her phone. 

At that point there is 2 lanes plus the hard shoulder, from what I can see the bike was over to the left had side, she must just completely lost it, I live near there

• Like 2

Ok, this is the third accident involving a Russian.  

Sad, but those folks need to learn that they cannot come here and drink and drive due to the number of motorbikes used in this country.

Awful way to die.

I hope she is locked up for a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

At that point there is 2 lanes plus the hard shoulder, from what I can see the bike was over to the left had side, she must just completely lost it, I live near there

I used to live on Wiset Hill, back last decade and that was the road's accident black spot, with late night drunk drivers coming from Laguna.

They would speed up the hill and lose it on the crest at the start of the S-bend and slide into the oncoming lane.

One of my neighbours was rear ended by a Russian and finished up in the ICU and was later repatriated back home.

Seems, the median strip has moved the black spot to the racetrack that is the straight between the hill and Chalong Circle.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, brfsa2 said:

The car was a BYD Atto 3, a really fast car

They are not that fast. Top out at 160km/h and 0 to 100 in 7.3 secs according to Google. 

I test drove one for a laugh recently, and the new Seal… both handle like a bucket of sh*te on a roller-skate. The Seal marginally better, and it was the top of the range one and much faster than the Atto. 

Thailand is ill-prepared for these rapid electric vehicles. Fatalities on the road will increase as a result no doubt. 

They need to throw the book at the driver though.

RIP to the deceased couple. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

I used to live on Wiset Hill, back last decade and that was the road's accident black spot, with late night drunk drivers coming from Laguna.

They would speed up the hill and lose it on the crest at the start of the S-bend and slide into the oncoming lane.

One of my neighbours was rear ended by a Russian and finished up in the ICU and was later repatriated back home.

Seems, the median strip has moved the black spot to the racetrack that is the straight between the hill and Chalong Circle.

According to her Facebook page she lives in Phuket Town I noticed yesterday somebody posted a load of links about the accident today she has virtually cleared her page and she has blocked the comments, 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I don't ride a bike at all to avoid this.

Second year I was here I bought one, road it and observed reality.

End of second year I sold it.

It simply invites carnage to ride a motorcycle here. Statistics show this irrefutable fact every single year.

I understand that for many there is little choice. But if you have a choice, choose life.

!00%......why put your life at risk unnecessarily?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

According to her Facebook page she lives in Phuket Town I noticed yesterday somebody posted a load of links about the accident today she has virtually cleared her page and she has blocked the comments, 

Her office is in Soi Khokmakham, down by Rawai Beach.

She lives in Phuket City (Mueang Phuket) and possibly Rawai.

Rawai is also one of the eight sub-districts that make up Phuket City or Mueang Phuket.

If you live in Rawai, you will notice your address is Rawai, Mueang Phuket Thailand 

Mueang Phuket district - Wikipedia

Edited by LosLobo

Looks like she was doing more than 100kph from what I can see in the video. The car crossed the intersection in a bit more than a second. About twice as fast as the motorcycle. As a motorcycle rider myself I really hope she gets a very long stint in prison, this is completely reckless.

I've observed also a lot of very aggressively driving Russians in the past year. They just do whatever they want with usually zero repercussions.

• Thumbs Up 1