How big is Nan town?

bignok

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Rai is not correct. Its small.

Sorry, yes, it's 200,000. But where CR city ends and greater CR starts is often not clear hence the number is probably higher for the total built up area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Rai#:~:text=Chiang Rai (Thai%3A เชียงราย%2C,Rai District%2C Chiang Rai Province.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

Sorry, yes, it's 200,000. But where CR city ends and greater CR starts is often not clear hence the number is probably higher for the total built up area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Rai#:~:text=Chiang Rai (Thai%3A เชียงราย%2C,Rai District%2C Chiang Rai Province.

I know. Every website gives a different number. Nan must be small.

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

It is, very. We were in Nan two weeks ago and I asked my wife they didn't just merge Phrae and Nana into a single province. She looked at me and said, stupid man and walked away!

76 of them. Only need about 40.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

:Route 1256 Floating Road located alongPua Road - Boklua. 1081 Floating Road, located alongSantisuk Road - Boklua and 1148 Sky-high Road, located alongTawangpa Road - Phulangka. 

If you're a motorcyclist this province is epic!

Could contain:

YQJDlbcAzylLsfYAaihU.webp

• Like 2

Just now, roo860 said:

:Route 1256 Floating Road located alongPua Road - Boklua. 1081 Floating Road, located alongSantisuk Road - Boklua and 1148 Sky-high Road, located alongTawangpa Road - Phulangka. 

If you're a motorcyclist this province is epic!

Could contain:

YQJDlbcAzylLsfYAaihU.webp

I’ve cycled that route in both directions. 

Once from Nan to Bor Klua, overnight stop then Bor Klua back to Nan via Phua.

And the second time the reverse of that circuit.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It is, very. We were in Nan two weeks ago and I asked my wife they didn't just merge Phrae and Nana into a single province. She looked at me and said, stupid man and walked away!

My ex wife was from Phrae. Lovely province. I made endless attempts to hop over to Nan while living in her village, but they had some magic which kept pulling me back. At least, that's what it felt like. Years and years later I flew up there and had a glorious time just driving the incredible roads. Can honestly say i miss the old Thailand. Buffalo carts, heat haze, music drifting over the paddies. Too hot to think. Just be.

• Love It 2

Nan is a small city, typical northern town. Not highly populated as far as the residents though it can get pretty crowded during loy krathong and Christmas. Been dragged there by the wife during both occasions and finding a room was challenging given that sometimes she gets a wild hair up the yingyang and “we go now!” idea to a tourist joint. Personally I prefer being there when it’s not flooded with tourists.

I'm going to say smaller than Nimman. You have short main drag that at least isn't a 4 lane road, a bit of scenic town by the wat with the famous painting, and then not a whole lot by the river. A temple on the outskirts still has an old-style wooden buddha.

Overland to Laos from Nan to meet up with the boat going down to Luang Prubang is a great route full of very folkloric style temples. Hongsa, on the Lao side has that Gaughan painting, teak house in the jungle feeling at a level seldom seen. 

I'm planning a Nan weekend in Dec. Scenic bus in, and fly back to Chiang Mai.