Glasses

still kicking

My deepest apologies for the upcoming irreverance...
I was in a pub in Hong Kong with a friend who was older than I, and struggling to read the menu

"I can't read this without my glasses"
"They might have some behind the bar..."
"Do you think so? - Do you have any glasses?"

On a more serious note, I was born as short-sighted as a bat, and thought I would not develop long-sightedness, but I was wrong, and now have to wear varifocals, the spec of which changes with each passing year of decrepptitude.

SC  

Maybe have a full eye checkup?

Not sure where you are, but I just had a full eye check up at Khong Kaen University (KKU) hospital on Monday last. 

Very professional, B1300 with eye drops.

Dr rebooked follow up appointment for 3 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My eyes weakened steadily thru childhood & adolescence, then stabilized. In my 40s/50s they started to improve which my Canberra opthalmologist said was perfectly normal. They would stabilize again at a higher level, then deteriorate in old age.

Had test done in BKK in April this year (age 74). Basically no change in my distance spectacles for the last 25 years, left eye a fraction weaker than in 1998.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:18 PM, still kicking said:

I can see better without my glasses why the change?

Same with me.

I needed glasses since my first driving license with 16. Over time my eyes changed a little to the worse. Now, since a couple of years, my eyes are getting better and are now almost perfect. I don't need any glasses anymore and I only use them for driving (about -1.0).

I guess in the future there will be more changes. That's life. 

3 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Where do you go if all you want is a prescription? Tried an opticians in JJ mall a few weeks ago and they wouldn't do it. Using a hospital seems overkill but is that the only way?

Google optometrist and I am sure you will find one, Pattaya Bangkok hospital don’t do sight tests, they don’t employ an optometrist.

34 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Google optometrist and I am sure you will find one, Pattaya Bangkok hospital don’t do sight tests, they don’t employ an optometrist.

I can find plenty of optometrists in my area but they are all in shops that sell spectacles. They will only give you your prescription once you have purchased spectacles from them. The place in JJ did an eye test but would not give me the prescription. A pair of progressive lenses there ranged from 20- 28,000 baht. I wish to buy my spectacles online but require a prescription to do so. I will gladly pay a spectacles shop for a prescription but can't find one willing to do it without purchasing spectacles. 

7 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I can find plenty of optometrists in my area but they are all in shops that sell spectacles. They will only give you your prescription once you have purchased spectacles from them. The place in JJ did an eye test but would not give me the prescription. A pair of progressive lenses there ranged from 20- 28,000 baht. I wish to buy my spectacles online but require a prescription to do so. I will gladly pay a spectacles shop for a prescription but can't find one willing to do it without purchasing spectacles. 

There might be plenty of shops selling specs but very few employ optometrists, they give you a very basic eye test, an Optometrists would inspect your eyes for any sign of disease not just an eye test.

I had an eye test yesterday at an Optometrists last week in Nakula, it was free, they don’t charge for eye tests obviously relying on you buying specs.

22 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

There might be plenty of shops selling specs but very few employ optometrists, they give you a very basic eye test, an Optometrists would inspect your eyes for any sign of disease not just an eye test.

I had an eye test yesterday at an Optometrists last week in Nakula, it was free, they don’t charge for eye tests obviously relying on you buying specs.

I took your advice and used Google. All the answers were spectacles shops. You had a test yesterday last week? Did they hand you the prescription? I can get an eye test in every spectacles shop in town for free but none of them will give me a prescription. 

24 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I took your advice and used Google. All the answers were spectacles shops. You had a test yesterday last week? Did they hand you the prescription? I can get an eye test in every spectacles shop in town for free but none of them will give me a prescription. 

Optometrists in Pattaya, they are few and far between, I would only buy specs from the place that I had the eye test as a well know chain of spec shops fitted the wrong lenses.

image.thumb.png.e5ce970f0492f3650bb247cb56439d13.png

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

Optometrists in Pattaya, they are few and far between, I would only buy specs from the place that I had the eye test as a well know chain of spec shops fitted the wrong lenses.

image.thumb.png.e5ce970f0492f3650bb247cb56439d13.png

As I said, I wish to buy my spectacles online. The only thing I need is a new prescription. Thanks for your help.

9 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

As I said, I wish to buy my spectacles online. The only thing I need is a new prescription. Thanks for your help.

No idea where you’re from but in the U.K. it’s £25 for an eye test although some of the franchises are ‘free’ ,they will give you the prescription even if you don't buy anyspecs.

i understand they might not give you a prescription unless you pay for it, they couldn’t operate a successful business if they were giving free prescriptions out only.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No idea where you’re from but in the U.K. it’s £25 for an eye test although some of the franchises are ‘free’ ,they will give you the prescription even if you don't buy anyspecs.

i understand they might not give you a prescription unless you pay for it, they couldn’t operate a successful business if they were giving free prescriptions out only.

OP looks as if he might be in in: OZ or Los - cannot be sure of course.

Small correction - in the UK eye tests for are free for everyone  over 60  https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/opticians/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/   Includes test for Cataracts and Glaucoma.

For £10 you get an extra test for AMD https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/health-wellbeing/conditions-illnesses/eye-health/age-related-macular-degeneration-amd/

I think that's what @Sheryl meant above (?)   Not helpful of course if @still kicking is not in UK but the details of what is tested might be useful.