Economic hurdles hamper Thailand’s tourist market recovery despite visa exemptions

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thanet also pointed out that high-spending tourists generally prefer European destinations over Thailand during the peak season.

Post Covid Thailand has gone back to the old ways of attracting tourists.

Problem is tourists are looking for something new.

Some economic challenges sure (Strong Baht) but other challenges too - bad press, better organised competition, high flight costs (especially from Europe), people have less money to spend. Tourism is a "soft" way to get foreign currency and increase GDP but times are changing and Thailand needs to start earning more through exports and inward investment.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thanet also pointed out that high-spending tourists generally prefer European destinations over Thailand during the peak season.

Total rubbish. The European peak season and the Thai peak seasons are completely different. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, local expats with the means to travel and spend domestically are shunned by the TAT with lack of discounts/incentives, are threatened to be hit with new taxes by the RD and continued overzealous immigration requirements and procedures.

For me personally, I don’t spend excess savings on domestic tourism anymore. Instead, we spend lavishly outside the country. For January, we have a lovely Swiss trip planned which would otherwise be done in a high season place like Samui or Phuket in earlier years. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, khunjake said:

Meanwhile, local expats with the means to travel and spend domestically are shunned by the TAT with lack of discounts/incentives, are threatened to be hit with new taxes by the RD and continued overzealous immigration requirements and procedures.

For me personally, I don’t spend excess savings on domestic tourism anymore. Instead, we spend lavishly outside the country. For January, we have a lovely Swiss trip planned which would otherwise be done in a high season place like Samui or Phuket in earlier years. 

Interesting perspective, take trips outside the country and spend money from outside the country as well, thus no tax on a remittance to Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1