CDC expands testing of international air traveler samples to include flu, RSV, and other respiratory viruses

Red Phoenix

11 minutes ago, stats said:

The topic here is about a voluntary CDC testing program for international arrivals at select U.S. airports.

Yes! Let's return to testing at airports.

I put a big question mark as to the worth of it all. We seem to have a world 'data base' now of illnesses caused by 'pathogens' and 'viruses'.

Edited by stats
unsourced and unsubstantiated claims removed

Voluntary testing of passengers and testing the plane septic tanks for bugs seems pretty reasonable to me, for the purpose of identifying the trajectory of a pathogen.  Which one, how fast it's spreading, where it's coming from, how it's mutating, etc.

If it's a US airport, I'd suggest they sweeten the deal by offering the volunteers a voucher for a free bottle of drinking water on the departure side of security of their next flight.  It'll cost them $0.15 and save the passenger around 5 bucks.  I'd generally let them violate my nose to save $5 on my next departure.  I'm cheap like that.

I'm a lot leerier of recent moves to test neighborhood sewage for drugs, on the basis that they'll eventually develop the technology to install testing at each home and see what we've been eating, drinking, smoking, etc.  That's scary.  Test for bugs, no problem.  Test for drugs, big issue (though I don't use any illegals ones) But that's not the topic here...

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! Let's return to testing at airports.

I put a big question mark as to the worth of it all. We seem to have a world 'data base' now of illnesses caused by 'pathogens' and 'viruses'.

We seem to have a world 'data base' now of illnesses caused by 'pathogens' and 'viruses'.

You didn't know about it? https://gisaid.org/