OBD 2 car code scanner

cheeryble

Hi there these scanners seem like a hell of a good idea.

I believe that most cars in America have trouble code connectors though I'm not sure what year they came in.

Do cars in Thailand have them, and when did they start? 

We have a Toyota sienta 4 years old. 

Honda jazz 2006 

Honda CRV 2003

Also I wonder if anyone here has ann automobile bore scope, and whether they found them easy to use and useful

.cheers

OBD, including history.

On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia

Yes, these things are very helpful.

And just in case you don't know: You can buy a relative cheap OBD-Adapter with Bluetooth and then use an app like torque on your phone.

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) - Apps on Google Play

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/v15-bluetooth-elm327-obd-obd2-scanner-for-ios-android-windows-i3756189253-s14254347429.html

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

OBD, including history.

On-

board diagnostics - Wikipedia

Yes, these things are very helpful.

And just in case you don't know: You can buy a relative cheap OBD-Adapter with Bluetooth and then use an app like torque on your phone.

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) - Apps on Google Play

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/v15-bluetooth-elm327-obd-obd2-scanner-for-ios-android-windows-i3756189253-s14254347429.html

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks OMF

I was wondering about the incredibly cheap blue plastic connectors, but in your experience and combined with the phone, they do the same job, right? 

only thing is the wiki article didn’t mention most countries as having OBD sockets in their cars.

the previous poster kindly said 'yes' but do Thai cars have them? Especially my cars and back to 2003?

26 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks OMF

I was wondering about the incredibly cheap blue plastic connectors, but in your experience and combined with the phone, they do the same job, right? 

only thing is the wiki article didn’t mention most countries as having OBD sockets in their cars.

the previous poster kindly said 'yes' but do Thai cars have them? Especially my cars and back to 2003?

The connectors have just a little electronic in there, nothing fancy. It's cheap to produce them. The software (in the phones) does most of the work.

I don't have a car in Thailand, but it seems OBD is used since many years in many countries. It makes life a lot easier for the "mechanics" in the car garages. I am 99% sure they use them in Thailand just like anywhere else. Maybe look in the manual or google OBD connector and the model of your car.

• Like 1

Think all

Well I now know that all of my cars have a connector and I shall proceed to get the OBD Bluetooth connector.

,FYI the socket on the two Hondas I kind of inside the fuse box cover into the left a little. I'm told the connector on the Toyota sienta is on the right of the steering wheel and under the under the what you call it the storage shelf .

So I'm looking forward to making the huge investment of about 47 baht and being able to play with it.

I mentioned the borescope which enables you to go in through the spark plug holes and check the condition with the Piston the cylinders and the valves.

Just of interest the boss of a garage that we once had some work done told my missus some months ago when she complained about the petrol consumption on the CRV that he could do a job on it for 3000 baht to reduce the gas mileage considerably. It wasn't a gas tank in the boot which I wouldn't have, I bet I could only make out something to do with the injector system.

None of us Believe in perpetual motion and I'm very dubious but if the CRV seems seems on inspection of the plugs etc to be running the right mixture how the hell can you improve the gas mileage?

6 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Think all

Well I now know that all of my cars have a connector and I shall proceed to get the OBD Bluetooth connector.

,FYI the socket on the two Hondas I kind of inside the fuse box cover into the left a little. I'm told the connector on the Toyota sienta is on the right of the steering wheel and under the under the what you call it the storage shelf .

So I'm looking forward to making the huge investment of about 47 baht and being able to play with it.

I mentioned the borescope which enables you to go in through the spark plug holes and check the condition with the Piston the cylinders and the valves.

Just of interest the boss of a garage that we once had some work done told my missus some months ago when she complained about the petrol consumption on the CRV that he could do a job on it for 3000 baht to reduce the gas mileage considerably. It wasn't a gas tank in the boot which I wouldn't have, I bet I could only make out something to do with the injector system.

None of us Believe in perpetual motion and I'm very dubious but if the CRV seems seems on inspection of the plugs etc to be running the right mixture how the hell can you improve the gas mileage?

The OBD2 connector will be under the dash and within a prescribed distance from the steering column (from memory something like 30cm).  This was originally a US regulation but it has been pretty universally adopted.

• Like 1

All cars as 1996 have OBD II. The blue connecter you are taking about is OBD !! dongle and plugs into the 16 pin OBD !! Port. If you go online, there is website that shows the location of ports in cars. With blue wireless dongle , and app download on your phone, you will be able to read the codes,  and not much more. 

To clear the codes, and do detailed troubleshooting you will need a better scanner. I have Autel maxi scanner 608 that can do everything and even make extra FOB keys. 

Of course it was 3000 USD and was left over from my old job. I also have foxwell scanner new, I don't use a Autel TPMS tool as well for working on the TPMS. 

Where are you in Thailand ? As I don't use the Foxwell scanner if you like it I would sell to you very cheap, less than 2000 baht. 

image.thumb.png.71bb1728578bc8ac1751aaf398d80e12.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Also I wonder if anyone here has ann automobile bore scope, and whether they found them easy to use and useful

I bought a borescope that hooks up with my phone several years ago (need to download an app), used it once for something I can't remember at the moment, now sits in a box. It's easy to use and came with attachments for the tip; small hook, magnet, small mirror.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

All cars as 1996 have OBD II. The blue connecter you are taking about is OBD !! dongle and plugs into the 16 pin OBD !! Port. If you go online, there is website that shows the location of ports in cars. With blue wireless dongle , and app download on your phone, you will be able to read the codes,  and not much more. 

To clear the codes, and do detailed troubleshooting you will need a better scanner. I have Autel maxi scanner 608 that can do everything and even make extra FOB keys. 

Of course it was 3000 USD and was left over from my old job. I also have foxwell scanner new, I don't use a Autel TPMS tool as well for working on the TPMS. 

Where are you in Thailand ? As I don't use the Foxwell scanner if you like it I would sell to you very cheap, less than 2000 baht. 

image.thumb.png.71bb1728578bc8ac1751aaf398d80e12.png

Thanks for the offer bill it's probably way more than I need. I actually ordered an item for the amazing price of 47 bt. I'm as interested in these devices purely from curiosity is anything else, but we do have three cars and who knows it could come in useful. 

Only one thing I'm about to clean from your post that I'll not be able to reset codes?

5 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks for the offer bill it's probably way more than I need. I actually ordered an item for the amazing price of 47 bt. I'm as interested in these devices purely from curiosity is anything else, but we do have three cars and who knows it could come in useful. 

Only one thing I'm about to clean from your post that I'll not be able to reset codes?

You only need to reset a code if you have one! ...usually engine management light on dash would illuminate if you do.

Even still, he is making an assumption though that you cannot reset codes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thing is you can see real time data as you are driving. (I used a mirror to get the scanner aligned with the socket. Better than head upside down under the dash).

I try to buy a second hand car to use when I visit my home country. Last time I bought a Honda Jazz that the engine started cutting out. Bought the analyser but no codes showed up, which led to a clue that seemed to be complete lost of power to the unit, which could only be the computer. Replaced the computer, all OK.

You really need a scanner for fault analysis.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

May be of interest… My friend asked me to go and help him buy a car last week, a top end Mazda 2 2019 with 65,000 km from a dealer with a car lot.

The car actually looked absolutely immaculate, including the engine bay. You could’ve eaten your eggs off the engine.

I did all the right things looking down the sides for any body work, Inside the oil filler cap, the dipstick, no oil drips etc., but the guy must’ve been very disappointed when I took the radiator to cap off and found just water inside with no coolant. We also found that it had the 10,000 km service in the logbook but nothing else was noted until over 35,000.

Naturally, this must’ve put the dealer who I thought was quite a nice chap, On the back foot, but he must have been aghast when I took out the OBD connector and asked if he mind if I use it.

at this stage, we also noticed the trouble light on the speedo was on!

sure enough the scanner recognized that there had been a problem 26 warm-up cycles ago. 
I took it for a short run, where I floored the throttle a couple of times and Wiggled the steering at a bit of speed. It came through all of the physical checks with flying colors. So I suggested to my friend that he went to Mazda and had the trouble code cleared, and simply made sure that it didn’t come back on again.

I’m not sure what happened the next day but he went to Mazda with the dealer where they replaced the water pump and the brake pads Which were 70% worn.

he then bought the car at a pretty good reduction, considering its immaculate condition, and went home happy.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Thumbs Up 2