Pcie X16 issues

BenStark

I purchased a 1 year old Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2 motherboard with still 24 month Synnex warranty left.

All other components like CPU - VGA - RAM - SSD i purchased new.

I set it up and on first boot got 5 beeps, and no signal on my screen, using either the VGA HDMI or the MB HDMI.

Removed the VGA and I was able to get into the BIOS, but M2 SSD inserted in the M2P_CPU slot was not detected. The M2P slot is next to the Pcie slot

Tried the VGA in another PC and it worked. Tried a different VGA in the Gigabyte MB and same 5 beeps and no signal.

When I moved the SSD to the M2A slot it was detected, so clearly no issue with the SSD or VGA card.

I sent the board to Synnex and after 2 weeks I got notified that Gigabyte updated the BIOS and it is now working.

Haven't received the board yet, but does anyone think that an outdated BIOS can have been the reason for described issues?

One other thing, I tried two different SSDs with an activated Windows 7 OS, and both drives would be correctly detected by the BIOS, but got the message no bootable device installed.

I inserted the drives in the SATA3_0 slot.

Any suggestions welcome

What version of the BIOS was installed when you were having all the problems, was it updated by yourself?

What VGA card was being used?

From Gigabyte website for that board they have 7 BIOS updates since 2021 fixing compatibility issues with M.2, VGA cards, Windows 11 etc...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-V2-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, freeworld said:

What version of the BIOS was installed when you were having all the problems, was it updated by yourself?

What VGA card was being used?

From Gigabyte website for that board they have 7 BIOS updates since 2021 fixing compatibility issues with M.2, VGA cards, Windows 11 etc...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-V2-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

I don't recall what BIOS version was installed, but 5 beeps sounds to me as a short in the slot.

The VGA I installed is Geforce GT 1030, but the card works in another PC, and the card from that PC gives the same 5 beeps on the Gigabyte board.

Sata SSDs I tried have Windows 7 ultimate, not Windows 11,

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Windows 7 OS, and both drives would be correctly detected by the BIOS, but got the message no bootable device installed.

In BIOS, change boot type from Windows UEFI to "other OS".

Edited by tomazbodner
While my previous statement is true that I couldn't get to boot Win7 from m.2, I now found solution to it - updated the post.
  • Like 1

Its quite hard to say since we don't know what version of the BIOS was when these problems arose. If you did not update it then there is a good chance it was still on an earlier factory version.

From what I find, Gigabyte beep codes explains - 5 short beeps is a processor general system error and no display could mean problem with the CPU, motherboard or GPU.

The first would have been to update the BIOS to the latest version and test. Then to check and reseat the CPU and test, then reseat the GPU and test.

If problems still existed then the problem would be with the motherboard itself.

Does synnex have all your components cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard when it was sent off for repair?

Its strange that it took them 2 weeks to solve a BIOS update (this would take about 10mins to install) issue unless they sent the motherboard off to Taiwan to get checked and repaired/ or they replaced it. I guess you still have a copy of the receipt and detail serial number of your motherboard so you can check when you get it back.

Gigabyte user manual seems to have no troubleshooting section.

Which company supplied the components?

What CPU are you using?

Would suggest you consider updating your OS to use win 10 or win 11. All the drivers for that motherboard are now based on those.

Edited by freeworld

16 minutes ago, freeworld said:

From what I find, Gigabyte beep codes explains - 5 short beeps is a processor general system error and no display could mean problem with the CPU, motherboard or GPU.

It works with the GPU removed, so not a CPU issue

17 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Does synnex have all your components cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard when it was sent off for repair?

I only send them the MB and they said they sent it to Gigabyte Thailand. They gave me the phone number today, but the person I spoke to didn't seem to be well informed about what was happening.

19 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Which company supplied the components?

What CPU are you using?

Components are from different companies. GPU is Asus purchased from Asus.

RAM is Apacer 2 x 8GB DDR4 and CPU is i5-10400 Next, both from Advice

MB is from JIB.

Synnex said no repairs or replacement, only BIOS update.

23 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

In that case I could only suspect that the type of boot UEFI/Legacy might be an issue and changing to the other one might be worth to try.

Tried both with similar result

• Thumbs Up 1

OK Synnex are quite reliable, if they confirmed that it was a BIOS update.

You just need to check with your components when it come back to you then you can check the BIOS version (should be F9) they installed.

Check also the CSM settings in BIOS.

IO Ports
& Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard
graphics.
IGFX (Note) Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.

CSM Support
Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to support a legacy PC boot process.
Enabled Enables UEFI CSM.
Disabled Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only. (Default)

Storage Boot Option Control
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or legacy option ROM for the storage device controller.
Do not launch Disables option ROM.
UEFI Enables UEFI option ROM only.
Legacy Enables legacy option ROM only. (Default)
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled

Other PCI devices
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or Legacy option ROM for the PCI device controller other
than the LAN, storage device, and graphics controllers.
Do not launch Disables option ROM.
UEFI Enables UEFI option ROM only. (Default)
Legacy Enables legacy option ROM only.
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BenStark said:

I sent the board to Synnex and after 2 weeks I got notified that Gigabyte updated the BIOS and it is now working.

Updating the BIOS is one of the first things you yourself should have done.

14 hours ago, BenStark said:

One other thing, I tried two different SSDs with an activated Windows 7 OS, and both drives would be correctly detected by the BIOS, but got the message no bootable device installed.

Not surprising in the least. Win 7 doesn't migrate well; people seem to have forgotten about that.

Typically you use Sysprep on the old computer first or use a backup and universal restore program from a third party.  You can also use a program like Paragon to repair the boot. Otherwise you can use Windows repair media and get into DOS, cd to the target disk and mess around.

Our Experts here, esp those on the cutting edge, will recommend you clean install Win 11 pronto. Bonus points: use hacks to get around the hardware requirements if needed.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Updating the BIOS is one of the first things you yourself should have done.

Not surprising in the least. Win 7 doesn't migrate well; people seem to have forgotten about that.

Typically you use Sysprep on the old computer first or use a backup and universal restore program from a third party.  You can also use a program like Paragon to repair the boot. Otherwise you can use Windows repair media and get into DOS, cd to the target disk and mess around.

Our Experts here, esp those on the cutting edge, will recommend you clean install Win 11 pronto. Bonus points: use hacks to get around the hardware requirements if needed.

That it doesn't load Windows 7 is not the main topic of this thread, it was just one other thing.

I received the MB in the meantime, and it still doesn't see the M2 SSD inserted in the M2A slot

The PC starts up with the GPU, but it get blue screen right before I get the Windows log in screen.

When I use the internal graphics I get to the BIOS, and when start to boot screen goes black. It doesn't show no signal message

This is what the system sees with a WD black inserted in the M2A slot and an Asus Geforce GT 1030 inserted in the PCIE X16 slot

image.png.72307895b683380217ab3b9018951790.png

5 hours ago, BenStark said:

That it doesn't load Windows 7 is not the main topic of this thread, it was just one other thing.

I received the MB in the meantime, and it still doesn't see the M2 SSD inserted in the M2A slot

The PC starts up with the GPU, but it get blue screen right before I get the Windows log in screen.

When I use the internal graphics I get to the BIOS, and when start to boot screen goes black. It doesn't show no signal message

This is what the system sees with a WD black inserted in the M2A slot and an Asus Geforce GT 1030 inserted in the PCIE X16 slot

image.png.72307895b683380217ab3b9018951790.png

"When I moved the SSD to the M2A slot it was detected, so clearly no issue with the SSD or VGA card. "

You wrote in your 1st post the M.2 ssd in the M2A slot was detected, are you saying that it is not detected now?

What is the model of the SSD?

You have a 10th gen APU (CPU) the M2P slot is supported only with an 11th gen CPU (see note in the owners manual)

(Storage Interface

CPU:

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_CPU)(Note)

(Note) Supported by 11th Generation processors only.)

5 minutes ago, freeworld said:

"When I moved the SSD to the M2A slot it was detected, so clearly no issue with the SSD or VGA card. "

You wrote in your 1st post the M.2 ssd in the M2A slot was detected, are you saying that it is not detected now?

What is the model of the SSD?

You have a 10th gen APU (CPU) the M2P slot is supported only with an 11th gen CPU (see note in the owners manual)

(Storage Interface

CPU:

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_CPU)(Note)

(Note) Supported by 11th Generation processors only.)

Yes I found that also out the hard way, and something was lost in translation in the OP. The card is in the M2P_cpu slot and isn't detected. for the reasons you mention.

What is more of my concern now is if this reading is correct, as i assume it should read X16. Not?

image.png.de1ba84d106ce0192677f3c5098d12d6.png

And this

No Motherboard PCIe slot is X16 gen 4. Again it is supported by a gen 11 cpu.

Your graphics card is PCIe3 (from Asus for 1030 card)

Bus Standard
PCI Express 3.0

So it will be limited to that if installed in that slot. The card is recognised.

I guess your windows is installed on your ssd in your old pc. You have installed in a new pc so there is some incompatibility with the new hardware.

Do you have some files on that ssd you need to keep? If yes then you need to save them, if no then try repair windows but from personal experience it usually repairs nothing.

I usually just reinstall windows from new again.
Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, freeworld said:

No PCIe slot is X16 gen 4. Again it is supported by a gen 11 cpu.

Your graphics card is PCIe3 (from Asus for 1030 card)

Bus Standard
PCI Express 3.0
So it will be limited to that if installed in that slot. The card is recognised.

Thanks for the useful info, I'm not a computer expert, but wish now I had known all that upfront, so I could have ordered the right components compatible with this MB.

6 minutes ago, freeworld said:

I guess your windows is installed on your ssd in your old pc. You have installed in a new pc so there is some incompatibility with the new hardware.

Do you have some files on that ssd you need to keep? If yes then you need to save them, if no then try repair windows but from personal experience it usually repairs nothing.

Yes I moved the SSD from the old to the new PC, and planned to upgrade to W10.

I tried to repair, but it downloads the files, and then it freezes in the screen where you have to select do you want to repair.

Can't select yes or no, only option is removing power.

Why you think if I connect the monitor to the internal graphics, it starts up normal, but it doesn't even proceed in booting Windows. After the Gigabyte logo etc i just get a black screen

Your graphics card is what it is PCIe3. Even with Gen 11 cpu and you installed it in that slot it would still be limited to PCIe3.

The GPU (nvidia) drivers are the problem and there seems to be some conflict there between the nvidia drivers on the SSD and the new motherboard  onboard graphics, again due to moving the ssd to new machine they are not managing the Graphics Card properly.

Install windows with display connected to the MB hdmi. After install the nvidia drivers and then connect the display to the graphics card.

Everything should then be compatible with each other.

"I tried to repair, but it downloads the files, and then it freezes in the screen where you have to select do you want to repair." - yes, this is usual the endless cycle. Windows in all the years I use it, it has never been able to repair, just wasting time, better just install new windows.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BenStark said:

wish now I had known all that upfront, so I could have ordered the right components compatible with this MB.

Yep, a screwup. Probably should stick with pre-builts. Advice has some custom jobs that aren't too bad. 

Yes I moved the SSD from the old to the new PC, and planned to upgrade to W10.

Rarely works. I described how to migrate Win 7 installations above, which you dismissed as "not the main topic." Except, no booting remains a mystery and looking at your BIOS seems getting old. :wink: As a sanity check, I'd try a boot disk or bootable USB stick. That could be Linux, too.

I tried to repair, but it downloads the files, and then it freezes in the screen where you have to select do you want to repair.

Pleasantly shocking when that repair works. Bare metal restore or Paragon's boot repair (on a bootable flashdrive) is the way to go. Personally, I never reinstall Windows, just move it around and upgrade it when I feel like upgrading. Now, I do like Win 10 better than 7--though I loved 7, and 8.1 was pretty good, too. Don't see much point in 11 yet.

Why you think if I connect the monitor to the internal graphics, it starts up normal, but it doesn't even proceed in booting Windows. After the Gigabyte logo etc i just get a black screen

Internal graphics can use embedded generic drivers. Your old Windows installation won't boot because it's not bootable on your different hardware, period. Drivers and config are different and Win 7 isn't smart enough to deal with it. Anyway, this isn't your main topic.

On 11/10/2023 at 9:04 PM, freeworld said:

Your graphics card is what it is PCIe3. Even with Gen 11 cpu and you installed it in that slot it would still be limited to PCIe3.

The GPU (nvidia) drivers are the problem and there seems to be some conflict there between the nvidia drivers on the SSD and the new motherboard  onboard graphics, again due to moving the ssd to new machine they are not managing the Graphics Card properly.

Install windows with display connected to the MB hdmi. After install the nvidia drivers and then connect the display to the graphics card.

Everything should then be compatible with each other.

"I tried to repair, but it downloads the files, and then it freezes in the screen where you have to select do you want to repair." - yes, this is usual the endless cycle. Windows in all the years I use it, it has never been able to repair, just wasting time, better just install new windows.

With the components I have now, which are my advantages, other than that the M2P_CPU slot works, if I switch to an 11th generation CPU?

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

With the components I have now, which are my advantages, other than that the M2P_CPU slot works, if I switch to an 11th generation CPU?

Are the things working now with the 10th gen CPU and your components on the MB and the windows 10 install?

If yes, can you download and install gpuz, run it and let us know the output of your graphics card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

It depends what you are using the pc for:

a)Just browsing, some office type work, email etc...or

b)light gaming

c)heavy gaming

If for (a) I'd say there is very little advantage putting an 11th gen CPU in there as there is only a slight improvement over your 10th gen. It will make the m2p slot work and the graphics card slot work at pcie4 but to benefit that you will need a pcie4  16 lane graphics card.

Here is a comparison of your i5-10400 and an i5-11400.

https://seekingtech.com/10th-gen-intel-core-i5-10400-vs-11th-gen-intel-core-i5-11400/

Missing the m2P slot because of the cpu is not a big deal, you have plenty of sata connections for expansion ssd storage or other os.

Edited by freeworld

On 11/10/2023 at 1:14 PM, BenStark said:

ok, but don't expect it to run Win7 after it is returned.

Win7 will not have driver for the chips of a 1 year old motherboard.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Are the things working now with the 10th gen CPU and your components on the MB and the windows 10 install?

If yes, can you download and install gpuz, run it and let us know the output of your graphics card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

It depends what you are using the pc for:

a)Just browsing, some office type work, email etc...or

b)light gaming

c)heavy gaming

If for (a) I'd say there is very little advantage putting an 11th gen CPU in there as there is only a slight improvement over your 10th gen. It will make the m2p slot work and the graphics card slot work at pcie4 but to benefit that you will need a pcie4  16 lane graphics card.

Here is a comparison of your i5-10400 and an i5-11400.

https://seekingtech.com/10th-gen-intel-core-i5-10400-vs-11th-gen-intel-core-i5-11400/

Missing the m2P slot because of the cpu is not a big deal, you have plenty of sata connections for expansion ssd storage or other os.

Haven't proceeded with anything since as I have been busy with so many other things.

But I do understand that there will be no benefits for me to spend another 5K or so on another CPU as I use the PC for option (a) only.

If you don't mind. I think you have a MB manual already, and are knowledgeable in this regard.

There are so many setting in the BIOS that I don't see the wood through the trees. Can you suggest which settings I sure should enable to get the most out of my setup?

Not interested in gaming or overclocking.

Thanks

Edited by BenStark

Here is a link to the Gigabyte website for your motherboard.

All the drivers and tools are there and the manual is listed under the manual part.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-V2-rev-1x/support#support-dl

Link to user manual

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b560m-ds3h_e_1101.pdf?v=0417b92dd0694620111b633c206a831e

If you are going to install win 10, basically you could just leave all the bios settings at default, usually there is no config to do there unless you are tuning things.

Are you in Bangkok or some other city? Could I suggest you take your pc and the parts to jib or advice or where you bought the motherboard or some of the parts and ask the young guys there to help set the pc up for you. They can also install win 10. Usually they are very helpful and it should only take about 30 min of a persons time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:04 PM, freeworld said:

Install windows with display connected to the MB hdmi.

Here we go. Removed the VGA, set the BIOS to default values and connected the monitor to the HDMI of the board,

Have Windows 10 on a USB drive inserted and only the M2 SSD in slot M2A.

Could contain:

Edited by BenStark

31 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Here we go. Removed the VGA, set the BIOS to default values and connected the monitor to the HDMI of the board,

Have Windows 10 on a USB drive inserted and only the M2 SSD in slot M2A.

Could contain:

Did you delete all the partitions on the ssd harddisk before start?

It is asking you to put the windows installation disc cd or usb or dvd with a windows on it. This is normal.

If the usb or windows is in the dvd drive or usb, then remove it as it says and continue with installation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Edited by freeworld

5 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Ignore my previous post.

The SSD is brandnew.

Google told me to use a different USB port which solved the issue, windows is installed now.

I was using the USB3 slot in an external card reader, so it may be that the drivers needed to install first

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Ignore my previous post.

The SSD is brandnew.

Google told me to use a different USB port which solved the issue, windows is installed now.

I was using the USB3 slot in an external card reader, so it may be that the drivers needed to install first

Ok this is good and yes that external card reader needs a specific driver.

Now can download the graphics card driver install the graphics card and install the nvidia driver.

Edited by freeworld

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Ok this is good and yes that external card reader needs a specific driver.

Now can download the graphics card driver install the graphics card and install the nvidia driver.

Getting really pi**ed off now.

Windows 10 was running, so I download the drivers for my VGA from the Asus website.

After download I try to install, and after a while the installation program tells me, can not find compatible hardware.

So I install the VGA but keep the monitor connected to the MB HDMI slot. Get 5 short beeps on boot and no screen.

Remove VGA again and now I get the below screen with monitor connected to MB,

Tried different cables and monitor, same result. Have reset CMOS and removed HD, no improvement.

I can hear from the fans that the PC frequently restarts, and after several restarts I start to get a long beep with a similar long pause, but the beeps never end. I stopped counting at 25.

Could contain: