Using dollars in Cambodia is stupid

MrPancake

8 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Definitely seems like it. But don't worry, and take heart that other posters will put you right.

With a name like yours, I guess it won't be you though.

It's nice to know I have a fellow dumbass in this community.

Edited by MrPancake
  • Love It 1

Wheres the mods?  

I feel for ya. Our visit to ankor wat was a money pit ripoff from the time immigration gave me a torn 20$ back from my 50$.   That was worthless paper I found out.  Welcome to Cambodia.   Yes the temple was amazing but the trashy surroundings negated 80% of that.     And yes i was pissed the exchange people wanted a 5% cut for doing nothing.   Our taxi from the airport to hotel seemed like a good deal but that was just so he could charge us way to much for the next days tour.   Several fancy American trucks in town next to the poor.   The divide between rich and poor was more in your face.   We stayed close to the downtown party area but it just never hit critical mass.  There was this group of backpack looking tourists who had a good time.  They partied at a portable booze van bar across from our hotek till dawn.  The music was blaring and shut off about the time we went fur a morning walk.  Poor drunk gals who are going to waste away their vacation day with a hangover.  Food nothing special. We didnt get sick was the best part.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Ok so essentially you don't understand yourself and why you thought this post was a joke in the first place.

So let me clarify because you're obviously struggling.

The way I presented things was kind of a joke. You know ?

Like the gif saying I'm laughing not to cry, etc...

Over-dramatization if you will.

What is not a joke is the fact that the entire system is design to get as much of your money as possible in exchange of nothing. I'm a capitalist and I like to get stuff for my bucks.

I didn't say Cambodia wasn't a beautiful country. I said PP sucks.

Restaurants might be good. They're also horrendously overpriced.

Everything is far more expensive than in Thailand and Vietnam.

And there is no credible justification for that.

You can say whatever you want, the fact remains that the entire city riverside is in the business of ripping off tourists.

PP is just terrible value for money.

Cambodian ATMs are a rip-off.

Dollars are useless.

And, as demonstrated in my OP, in the best case scenario (that is if you use a wise card), you'll need to pay a 5% fee on whatever you want to spend in order to be able to spend it.

If you ain't using Wise, It's probably more like 8-10% depending on how f$cked up your bank is.

This is BS. Period.

I call your BS,

Cambodia is from the three countries you mentioned still the cheapest, maybe the beer in Vietnam is cheaper when you go to a local Bia Hoi corner.

Accommodations, food and drinks are in Cambodia the lowest of SE Asia except Laos I think.

Tell me where can you find $1 GT's or beer in LOS/Vietnam (brand name no Bia Hoi)? I prefer my drinks in a bar or restaurant not in front of the 7-11. I also sleep in hotels not hostels.

About ripping off tourists Thailand is absolute King followed by Vietnam, Cambodia is a quick learner. 

Here is a Wise lesson: I transfer at lowest possible fee (1.5%) with the highest rate, my Euro's into Baht to my Kasikorn account. My K-card is not charged any fee at the ATM when collecting cash. With my Wise wallet in my phone I can pay at any store in SE Asia.

Filling my debit card wallet via Wise in any local currency (Baht/Dong) is even a cheaper fee (0.67%) with the highest rate compared to all the system banks. 

Oh and BTW you can have a Happy Pizza just for $4 in PP, please try makes you more relaxed.

1 minute ago, Moneyhonour said:

I call your BS,

Cambodia is from the three countries you mentioned still the cheapest, maybe the beer in Vietnam is cheaper when you go to a local Bia Hoi corner.

Accommodations, food and drinks are in Cambodia the lowest of SE Asia except Laos I think.

Tell me where can you find $1 GT's or beer in LOS/Vietnam (brand name no Bia Hoi)? I prefer my drinks in a bar or restaurant not in front of the 7-11. I also sleep in hotels not hostels.

About ripping off tourists Thailand is absolute King followed by Vietnam, Cambodia is a quick learner. 

Here is a Wise lesson: I transfer at lowest possible fee (1.5%) with the highest rate, my Euro's into Baht to my Kasikorn account. My K-card is not charged any fee at the ATM when collecting cash. With my Wise wallet in my phone I can pay at any store in SE Asia.

Filling my debit card wallet via Wise in any local currency (Baht/Dong) is even a cheaper fee (0.67%) with the highest rate compared to all the system banks. 

Oh and BTW you can have a Happy Pizza just for $4 in PP, please try makes you more relaxed.

1) No accommodation, food and drinks are the cheapest in Vietnam. Pretty easy to verify. Hotels, you go on Agoda. Food and drink you check on Grab. Transportation might actually be cheaper in Cambodia. I can't remember how much I paid for my Grab tuk tuk the other day but I remember think "God, that's cheap". But that's because I went through Grab so the driver didn't have a say regarding the fare and couldn't try to f$ck me over.

2) I don't understand your Kasikorn shenanigans. Seems to me you're talking about something that only applies to Thailand. So completely off-topic. But I'm happy you found a way to pay for your stuff. I do everything with my Wise card and account. So far it has been the best deal I've found.

3) Happy pizza. Right. Just the name I already know it's some sort of small disgusting street food pizza. No thanks. I rather eat two large grilled pork sandwiches for that price.

Don't worry, I'm cool.

Always.

giphy.gif

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

1) No accommodation, food and drinks are the cheapest in Vietnam. Pretty easy to verify. Hotels, you go on Agoda. Food and drink you check on Grab. Transportation might actually be cheaper in Cambodia. I can't remember how much I paid for my Grab tuk tuk the other day but I remember think "God, that's cheap". But that's because I went through Grab so the driver didn't have a say regarding the fare and couldn't try to f$ck me over.

2) I don't understand your Kasikorn shenanigans. Seems to me you're talking about something that only applies to Thailand. So completely off-topic. But I'm happy you found a way to pay for your stuff. I do everything with my Wise card and account. So far it has been the best deal I've found.

3) Happy pizza. Right. Just the name I already know it's some sort of small disgusting street food pizza. No thanks. I rather eat two large grilled pork sandwiches for that price.

Don't worry, I'm cool.

Always.

giphy.gif

Yes indeed the K card I use for my Thai Baht sorry for the Off Topic. In Cambodia and Vietnam I use my cheap Dollars as mentioned in my earlier post (On Topic)

Sad to read you stay in the cheapest hotels you can find on Agoda (try Momondo much cheaper) but what saddened me the most is that you have to eat and drink on your hotel room what you ordered by Grab. Transportation costs in Cambodia I don't know, because I use my own car. I live in Si Sa ket near the Cambodian border

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

Yes indeed the K card I use for my Thai Baht sorry for the Off Topic. In Cambodia and Vietnam I use my cheap Dollars as mentioned in my earlier post (On Topic)

Sad to read you stay in the cheapest hotels you can find on Agoda (try Momondo much cheaper) but what saddened me the most is that you have to eat and drink on your hotel room what you ordered by Grab. Transportation costs in Cambodia I don't know, because I use my own car. I live in Si Sa ket near the Cambodian border

My god, bro. You have to stop speculating.

I don't sleep in the cheapest hotel on Agoda.

It was a cheap one with misleading pics and I ended up in a trash can.

I don't order food on Grab but I had a look at it to have an idea of what was on offer in town.

I'm staying right next to the busiest place in town. I'm lazy but not that lazy.

Yeah I know Si Saket. It's a sh$thole. No wonder you'e enjoying PP if you live there.

I don't know how you don't get depressed. I stayed 1 week in Kalasin once.

Nearly died of boredom.

Anyways. As long as you're enjoying your life, I guess what I think about it all doesn't really matter.

Ok I'll have a look at Momondo.

I have a platinum VIP status on Agoda so I'm getting some serious discounts already.

Cheaper than that would be great though I'd probably start to feel like a criminal ripping hotel owners off :))

Edited by MrPancake

11 hours ago, Moneyhonour said:

I call your BS,

Thailand is cheaper than Laos.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

You are correct. The problem is that everything is priced in dollars - in shops, restaurants, bars, even tutktuks. If you hav riels you are always converting them in your head.

In Vientianne paying in USD got a better deal. They don't want baht or kip. I suspect in Cambodia its the same.

22 hours ago, MrPancake said:

5$ ATM withdrawal fee + 3.50$ Wise fee (1.75% after the first fee-free 200$) + 12$ in unfavorable FX rate when buying stuff.

Bring USD from the USA, transfer USD into USD FX account in Thailand, OR just change THB to USD at Superrich for the best exchange rate. Carry a big wad of USD to Cambodia in bills of various denominations to avoid getting many Riels in change. Guard your stash. Sorted.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Bring USD from the USA, transfer USD into USD FX account in Thailand, OR just change THB to USD at Superrich for the best exchange rate. Carry a big wad of USD to Cambodia in bills of various denominations to avoid getting many Riels in change. Guard your stash. Sorted.

Wise is unbeatable imo.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, MrPancake said:

As for PP, it sucks.

It's dirty.

It's expensive (in relative terms of course).

There's almost nothing to do.

You got hustlers and children bothering you every 5 minutes.

I haven't been able to sit on the promenade and have a drink without being bothered by a kind of dumbass. And believe me I've been trying for 3 days.

No wonder expats look like bums here.

After a week, the only thing to do is drink and smoke to kill time.

cambodia can get real nasty if your stuck there forever. one of the things that kept me sane there was knowing i could leave if i wanted to. a lot of the expats there just end up drinking in bars and eating those simpleton meals they serve for foreigners.

Edited by JimTripper

32 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

cambodia can get real nasty if your stuck there forever. one of the things that kept me sane there was knowing i could leave if i wanted to. a lot of the expats there just end up drinking in bars and eating those simpleton meals they serve for foreigners.

It sounds dodgy.

• Haha 1

Just went to the S21 prison.

Not bad but overrated imo.

It's pretty much an abandoned building with cells, rusted beds and pictures (mostly of dead people).

Thanks god the audio guide was great.

Without it (so essentially without context), it's pretty much boredom guaranteed.

Vietnam war remnants museum and parliament palace are much more interesting.

56 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Dont a lot in Pattaya do the same? I know a guy who lived in Thailand 12 years. He never visit Krabi, Koh Chang or Chiang Mai.

Maybe all the money goes on drinking and women.

22 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's not a money spinner, the cambodians even use dollars themselves. It always been like this. The riels are just not useful and require a lot of dirty notes compared to dollars. Just for small change they always use riels. Most pricing is even default in dollars. 

Last time I was there, in PP and "Snooky" most of the shops had tills that worked in Riels and USD. So if you paid in USD, (as things were priced) your change was calculated on the till and given to you in Riels.

At over 4000 riels to the USD my "enormous" stack of 20000 Riels 🤪 was dropped into the hotel tip jar when I left! 

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Dont a lot in Pattaya do the same? I know a guy who lived in Thailand 12 years. He never visit Krabi, Koh Chang or Chiang Mai.

Only 90%....the rest of it is wasted....and so is he 😆

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

it's worse in cambodia.

in thailand you drink your boredom away, in cambodia you drink your life away.

• Thumbs Up 1