Gekko Garden -more like it?

Prubangboy

Down by the night market, the very retro Gekko Garden is a masterpiece of the Chiang Mai/Lonely Planet style: Tons of big old growth plants, lots of cowboy/buffalo horns/wagon wheels.

Where are other lost in time restaurant interiors (partic of the tourist kind)?

Top North Guest House with its huge teak elephants is another example. Writer's Bar in the OC too.

• Like 1

New in town 'eh?

Should have been here before the government knee-capped the Thai economy by closing 'non-essential businesses' and limiting freedom of movement during the plague pandemic.  You would have enjoyed pre-2020 Chiang Mai much better.  Walk up Thapae.  See all those shuttered businesses.  I personally know a lot of Thais who were put out of business.  Not sure about Old Town as I simply don't go there any longer, but I'm assuming there are a lot of shuttered businesses there as well. 

I'm a new arrival (one year) who's been here a dozen times.

Just had lunch at the venerable Dada Kafe in the old city, another beautiful interior that has its decor layered over the years serving up pick-your-curry/pick-your-protein to a good-sized crowd. Very solid vegan menu too. The Kat Cafe was heaving too.

Across the road from Nimman1 Mall, The Hong Tauw Inn has lots of antiques and a waiter will even chat about them a bit. They also do the comprehensive range of N. Thai dips, which seem to be on the endangered food list (as per Mark Weins).