Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

New Fish and Chip Shop

smedly

I visited the shop in the New Plaza a few weeks back. The fish was cooked well with a large portion of home made chips, however for me they were cut too fat, it's worth a visit if your partial to Fish and Chips

There is often fierce debates on a few of the Pattaya FB pages about Sharples, quite funny sometimes.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

You don't like to spend more than 50 baht on a dish, so not sure why you're here, bored? maybe lonely?

not sure where you're getting 50 baht from, vivid imagination, anyway, not the thread for you being English food + don't just copy what i said, it indicates you have half a brain

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You should be hanged!

First 'ditch the mushy peas' - bl00dy heathen, now you want your fish in breadcrumbs.......who the hell brought you up so badly!

Yeah... I aint a soapdodger hence those can fook right off.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You should be hanged!

First 'ditch the mushy peas' - bl00dy heathen, now you want your fish in breadcrumbs.......who the hell brought you up so badly!

You go too far sir!

I suggest a pillory and pelted with rotten tomatoes until he repents. 

image.png.cf7cda61233c5d3383ebaa5ccd13bd2c.png

Over the years there have been several attempts to open a fish and chip shop in Pattaya.

They usually pack up after a while.

One wonders how big the potential market is and how often it would purchase fish and chips

Supplying the right stuff - Cod /Haddock and pickles etc must be a headache.

How do you appeal to people outside the British Expat community to increase the market without loosing the general |authenticity" of it?

I would be nice if they succeeded where others have failed - what are the odds?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

not sure where you're getting 50 baht from, vivid imagination, anyway, not the thread for you being English food + don't just copy what i said, it indicates you have half a brain

You posted some time ago that you like the fish and chips at cheap charlies.

Must be because it is within your retiree budget, because the fish used in that dish has certainly never been in an ocean, so it can't be because you are quality driven

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You posted some time ago that you like the fish and chips at cheap charlies.

Must be because it is within your retiree budget, because the fish used in that dish has certainly never been in an ocean, so it can't be because you are quality driven

Absolutely, I was there a few weeks ago, that 'fish' has never seen water!

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends how good it is, try it and report back, or maybe just hot air from you

I wasn't talking to you but good to see you resorting to form with a flame and trolling.

It seems that my comments about cheapskates were a little too close to home for you.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Pensioner special" is a term used in the UK, seen it in seaside resorts one day a week, for the elderly, usually smaller portion but cheaper would suit hotandsticky

Yep, I'll have some of that. I don't care how much I pay (I am wealthy) but I am always interested in value for money.

It will have to go some to beat the £9.99 pensioner special at the fish and chip shop in Keswick.

Edited by hotandsticky

11 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

It doesn't make sense to have a ship catch cold water fish half a world away, process + freeze the fish, and ship it thousands of miles to be thawed out, battered and deep fried when white fish can be obtained locally at a fraction of the cost.  

Agreed.  I thought there was a type of fish available in Thailand that tasted like cod?

3 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Agreed.  I thought there was a type of fish available in Thailand that tasted like cod?

In my youth I worked in a restaurant that served fish and chips.  The challenge with other white fish was with how well they withstood being battered and deep fried.  Some fish went to mush and became inedible.  Cod worked well, halibut very well, snapper less so.  The other fish that are sold today were bycatch back then. 

That was 40 years ago. Today you'd have to be on crack to ruin a piece of halibut, so I'm very distrustful of people who are selling it for less than twice the price of the other fish.  

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

so re you British? Your comments are stupid enough. probably a Brexiteer.

hey go easy, UK is better off out of that power hungry club, we are doing ok and can only get better, i accept both views but as it turns out we are sweet

please don't reply it is off topic

I am looking forward to a fish supper next week

thx to all that have made a contribution to this topic

:clap2:

Edited by smedly
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

can only get better,

Extremely unlikely unless we deal with the EU again...UK is completely "8888ed" because of Brexit, just look at the desparate last few days - they now have a remainer as foreign secretary.

THe effect on Fish and chips has been devastating. Brexit has contributed to an increase in the price of fish and chips in the UK. Factors, such as increased bureaucracy, labor shortages, and loss of access to fishing grounds, have all led to higher costs for fish and chip shops.

In addition, the UK's exit from the EU has also led to a decline in the value of the pound sterling, which has made imports of ingredients like potatoes and sunflower oil more expensive.

As a result of these cost increases, many fish and chip shops have been forced to raise prices.

According to the National Federation of Fish Friers, the average price of a cod and chips meal in the UK has increased by over 30% since Brexit. This has put a strain on household budgets and has made fish and chips a less affordable meal for many people. Less customers = less turnover = end of business for some.

The rise in prices has also had a knock-on effect on the demand for fish and chips. Sales have fallen in recent years, and some fish and chip shops have been forced to close. The National Federation of Fish Friers has warned that up to a third of all fish and chip shops in the UK could be forced to close within the next five years.

Edited by kwilco

On 11/14/2023 at 4:21 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Talking about Sharples that was on Treetown and Prat soi 5 and now New Plaza? quite popular, i haven't been, i think it's 299 baht for fish and chips, Friday pensioner special 250 baht, that put me off

Was it the smell of urine in the queue of pensioners that put you off ?  :unsure:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I tried it a week ago, the location use to be another fish and chip shop with a larger variety menu what I consider a hole on the wall type of shop.

I be the first to tell you when It  comes fish fried I dont have a clue If it is a Dory or ?.

The place is design more upscaled with limited seating two tables outsidr and a very limited menu and yes the price is 299 baht, portion is big with lots of chips. The old location with close to portion precovid was 119 baht,  I was hoping not sure why after they didnt Reopen the place was always packed times had to sit across at a outside bar and order. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

UK is completely "8888ed" because of Brexit

dig a little deeper and you will find the opposite 

but no doubt there are sinister elements trying to change things, anyway it is off topic for this thread

I love cod

Edited by smedly
  • Thumbs Up 1

The cod v haddock was a North South thing in Scotland haddock was the normal with skate also on the menu .As you moved south instead of salt and vinegar you got salt and sauce . Then mushy peas curry sauce pukka pies ect ect I don't know 😕 why I'm fat