New Fish and Chip Shop

smedly

4 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Too many replies for me to read all of them. 

I got the fish and chip with tarter sauce and beans at Sharples in Jomtien two weeks ago.

My review of the Jomtien Sharples fish and chips; image.jpeg.8f028d2b074446e5ca0adc27b9e19079.jpeg

If that wasn't clear then; image.jpeg.8961c25fcbf4a0b019d6b06b83a53477.jpeg

The fish was well cooked but the fish coating wasn't a batter and had never seen even a drop of beer, it was basically a cornmeal coating.  The chips were limp.  The tarter sauce cost extra (30 Bt) and was fine except it was only about 1/2 of what was needed.  About three tablespoons of canned baked beans were also extra (30 Bt).

Next time I want a good fish and chips I'll to the Caddyshack Pattaya.  For less than I paid at Sharples I can get beer batter fried cod , better chips, limitless tarter sauce, a good serving of beans, and a half pint of Guinness.  I also get enough fish and chips to take half home for the next day's dinner.

I'll also recommend their Sunday Brunch, which is a bargain and large enough that I am able to take home enough for the next night's dinner.

The problem premium prices is that you have to provide premium products. Sharples failed to do that (towards the end) in Tree Town. In fairness I haven't tried New Plaza.

You will never have a bad meal from Keith at the Caddyshack. 

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Agreed.  I thought there was a type of fish available in Thailand that tasted like cod?

On Soi Buakhao, near Diana Estate, used to be a restaurant called, I think, Crazy Monkey. It closed a year or two back and the site is now occupied by, I think, "The Sports Lounge." 

I can't remember how much I paid for the fish and chips which I had but, it was not expensive --- I think a little over THB 100. The fish was so delicious and IMHO sweeter than cod.

I asked the Indian owner if it was John Dory, but he said no, it is called PANGASIUS, which apparently is a member of the shark/catfish family. To reiterate --- it was delicious!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5davidhen1 said:

it is called PANGASIUS, which apparently is a member of the shark/catfish family. To reiterate --- it was delicious!

Pangasius is what you buy at makro - big C etc under different names. It's a Vietnamese farm bred fish

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-9-2023-000134_EN.html

The pangasius is a genus of freshwater fish originating in Vietnam. It is one of the most widely consumed fish in the world, since it is cheap to obtain and bone-free, making it a popular choice for mass catering.

However, there are also health concerns surrounding it. It is mainly fished in the Mekong, one of the world’s most polluted rivers, where it is exposed to highly toxic micro-organisms and discharges containing heavy metals, plastics and pesticide residues, which is particularly alarming. Another cause for concern is the veterinary use on fish farms of pharmacological substances that are banned in the EU.

Studies and research have shown that this fish may therefore be dangerous, especially because of high mercury concentrations, which would make it totally unsuitable for children. Several large retail chains in Italy and in Europe have already banned the sale thereof.

2 hours ago, 5davidhen1 said:

On Soi Buakhao, near Diana Estate, used to be a restaurant called, I think, Crazy Monkey. It closed a year or two back and the site is now occupied by, I think, "The Sports Lounge." 

I can't remember how much I paid for the fish and chips which I had but, it was not expensive --- I think a little over THB 100. The fish was so delicious and IMHO sweeter than cod.

I asked the Indian owner if it was John Dory, but he said no, it is called PANGASIUS, which apparently is a member of the shark/catfish family. To reiterate --- it was delicious!

ChunkyMonkey, also available at Cheap Charlie's for 99 baht with card, 150 without, not tried it there but too oily for me

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

Extremely unlikely unless we deal with the EU again...UK is completely "8888ed" because of Brexit, just look at the desparate last few days - they now have a remainer as foreign secretary.

THe effect on Fish and chips has been devastating. Brexit has contributed to an increase in the price of fish and chips in the UK. Factors, such as increased bureaucracy, labor shortages, and loss of access to fishing grounds, have all led to higher costs for fish and chip shops.

In addition, the UK's exit from the EU has also led to a decline in the value of the pound sterling, which has made imports of ingredients like potatoes and sunflower oil more expensive.

As a result of these cost increases, many fish and chip shops have been forced to raise prices.

According to the National Federation of Fish Friers, the average price of a cod and chips meal in the UK has increased by over 30% since Brexit. This has put a strain on household budgets and has made fish and chips a less affordable meal for many people. Less customers = less turnover = end of business for some.

The rise in prices has also had a knock-on effect on the demand for fish and chips. Sales have fallen in recent years, and some fish and chip shops have been forced to close. The National Federation of Fish Friers has warned that up to a third of all fish and chip shops in the UK could be forced to close within the next five years.

Why make it into a Brexit issue, there is a decline in fishing in the North Sea, prices of food and energy have gone up all over Europe by 115 or more, plus minimum wage has gone up 3 times since Brexit in the UK adding to the shop owner's percentage

Cod and chips from a takeaway in my old town is around £9 for a very large piece of fish, hardly bank breaking, still cheaper than getting an Indian or Chinese meal

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm always suspicious of venues that rely on friends endlessly posting positive reviews to promote it, especially when the business model seems to be about selling franchises. It reminds me a lot like Retox in its marketing and we all know how that ended.

I pass the one in Jomtien regularly and I've yet to see more than a couple of customers in it which tells me all I need to know, it is also on the site of a previous dedicated fish and chip shop which went through a couple of owners before closing down. I think part of the issue is people tend to associate Fish and Chips with a Friday so while it might be busy that 1 day of the week it might be more of a challenge getting enough customers other 6 days of the week. I suspect the fact they've introduced a lower priced special may be an indication people aren't prepared to pay a premium above what other restaurants are charging for basically the same product, if you ignore the online hype.

Edited by kinyara
correction
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Too many replies for me to read all of them. 

I got the fish and chip with tarter sauce and beans at Sharples in Jomtien two weeks ago.

My review of the Jomtien Sharples fish and chips; image.jpeg.8f028d2b074446e5ca0adc27b9e19079.jpeg

If that wasn't clear then; image.jpeg.8961c25fcbf4a0b019d6b06b83a53477.jpeg

The fish was well cooked but the fish coating wasn't a batter and had never seen even a drop of beer, it was basically a cornmeal coating.  The chips were limp.  The tarter sauce cost extra (30 Bt) and was fine except it was only about 1/2 of what was needed.  About three tablespoons of canned baked beans were also extra (30 Bt).

Next time I want a good fish and chips I'll to the Caddyshack Pattaya.  For less than I paid at Sharples I can get beer batter fried cod , better chips, limitless tarter sauce, a good serving of beans, and a half pint of Guinness.  I also get enough fish and chips to take half home for the next day's dinner.

I'll also recommend their Sunday Brunch, which is a bargain and large enough that I am able to take home enough for the next night's dinner.

I agree, went shortly after they opened, batter was terrible, I guessed that the fat was not hot enough when it was cooked, made the batter rubbery. I go past regually, never many, if any customers

Would love to find some nice crispy British style fish and chips, still searching

Could contain:

Edited by Seppius
added pic

6 hours ago, Seppius said:

Why make it into a Brexit issue, there is a decline in fishing in the North Sea, prices of food and energy have gone up all over Europe by 115 or more, plus minimum wage has gone up 3 times since Brexit in the UK adding to the shop owner's percentage

Cod and chips from a takeaway in my old town is around £9 for a very large piece of fish, hardly bank breaking, still cheaper than getting an Indian or Chinese meal

Because Brexit is an issue - why are you in denial?

On 11/14/2023 at 12:51 AM, Paul Catton said:

Managing the first ever "Fish and Chip" shop in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, back in the lates 70's and early eighties our frozen fish fillets were always supplied with the skin on, in 10kg boxes.

Making "proper" chips was seasonal. The available Lebanese potatoes changed from a good starch content to a more sugar basis, with end results that they became dark and oily. The "cool stores" had frozen chips to fill the gap.   

Just out of curiosity were you allowed to serve prawns?  I ask because I've been told they are haram but not many Muslims are concerned about it.  Selected Muslim and Jewish writers sometimes bring this up with a bit of humor; the taboo is from the Old Testament, or so I've been told.

There used to be a chippy near Soi Cowboy, is it still there?

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

It's £7... in UK can be bought for £5 outside of London...cheap???

A fiver for fish & chips ? cannot be cod for sure and the  portion size must be small . In Southampton UK medium size cod & chips £10 - 12 large £ 15 -18  . I have seen pensioners day fish & chips at £7 but will not be cod .

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

Just out of curiosity were you allowed to serve prawns?  I ask because I've been told they are haram but not many Muslims are concerned about it.  Selected Muslim and Jewish writers sometimes bring this up with a bit of humor; the taboo is from the Old Testament, or so I've been told.

Shrimp are certainly not haram, providing preparation is halal!

On 11/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, superal said:

A fiver for fish & chips ? cannot be cod for sure and the  portion size must be small . In Southampton UK medium size cod & chips £10 - 12 large £ 15 -18  . I have seen pensioners day fish & chips at £7 but will not be cod .

cod is dirty fish, ask any fisherman..... they won't eat it!

Gotta be scottish haddock.

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:21 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Talking about Sharples that was on Treetown and Prat soi 5 and now New Plaza? quite popular, i haven't been, i think it's 299 baht for fish and chips, Friday pensioner special 250 baht, that put me off

I tried many a Thai resto that offered fish and chips. They got the chips right, but the "fish" was always some tasteless soggy mush that didn't resemble any fish I had outside Thailand. Usually the batter was the best part. Gave up in the end. If nothing else about living outside LOS is good, at least I can get decent battered fish.

On 11/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, HarrySeaman said:

The tarter sauce cost extra (30 Bt) and was fine except it was only about 1/2 of what was needed. 

Reminds me of the time I went to a new place that I read about in the local rag, as it mentioned free tarter sauce and refills ( I like a decent tarter sauce with fried fish ). Place was run by a Brit that was cooking. I got the tartare sauce, but the guy was so unpleasant I never went back. The food was average, so nothing to miss.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I tried many a Thai resto that offered fish and chips. They got the chips right, but the "fish" was always some tasteless soggy mush that didn't resemble any fish I had outside Thailand. Usually the batter was the best part. Gave up in the end. If nothing else about living outside LOS is good, at least I can get decent battered fish.

the best chips now are available in my condo, airfryer, cut up potatoes, light coating of oil, 20 mins, perfect, very similar to proper chip shop chips

On 11/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, bendejo said:

Shelled scampi,  deep fried in batter was on the menu, more expensive than the fish.

Wouldn't know about Soi Cowboy, never been there.