New Fish and Chip Shop

smedly

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Talking about Sharples that was on Treetown and Prat soi 5 and now New Plaza? quite popular, i haven't been, i think it's 299 baht for fish and chips, Friday pensioner special 250 baht, that put me off

not sure

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Talking about Sharples that was on Treetown and Prat soi 5 and now New Plaza? quite popular, i haven't been, i think it's 299 baht for fish and chips, Friday pensioner special 250 baht, that put me off

Ditch the mushy peas !!

image.png.22b61d8940b7e094916dbc2f68be6cbb.png

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ditch the mushy peas !!

Thanks for pointing this out. 

I've been craving mushy peas of late and didn't know where to find them.  I can do without the deep fried mystery fish, and chips, whilst no longer cheap, can be found anywhere. 

Edited by Bobthegimp

7 minutes ago, mstevens said:

presumably a decent sized slice of imported fish

I'm not familiar with the establishment in this thread, but that assumption is incorrect more often than not.  W5 (Canadian investigative journalists) tested white fish being sold in Canadian stores and found that it was misidentified almost 70 percent of the time.  Still, 250 baht seems fair for decent quality deep fried fish - if they change the fat in the fryers regularly and give a decent portion of fish along with the batter. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I've been craving mushy peas of late and didn't know where to find them.  I can do without the deep fried mystery fish, and chips, whilst no longer cheap, can be found anywhere. 

If you can make something at home, cans of them readily available on Lazada, and at the Expat shops, like Fever. I thought most of the restaurant places offering fish and chips had them too. 

2 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Per the menu above, fish is cod or haddock.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The one in Jomtien had many free tables last friday, so plenty of space to park your zimmer frame. No reason to be shy :tongue: and the food is ok if you are into fish and chips.

48 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You have to understand the quality and expectations of many posters on here. Anything more than 50 Baht for a khao pad and they are running for the hills. 

Complaining that 250 Baht is expensive for a decent plate of food says more about the poster than the product.

Depends how good it is, try it and report back, or maybe just hot air from you

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

Per the menu above, fish is cod or haddock.

I have no doubt that the proprietor acts in good faith and purchases it as such.

The people farther removed from the end buyer have a lot to gain and zero consequences if the wrong fish ends up in the right box.  Kind of like Subway with their "chicken " sandwich that turned out to be mostly something else.  

It doesn't make sense to have a ship catch cold water fish half a world away, process + freeze the fish, and ship it thousands of miles to be thawed out, battered and deep fried when white fish can be obtained locally at a fraction of the cost.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You should be hanged!

First 'ditch the mushy peas' - bl00dy heathen, now you want your fish in breadcrumbs.......who the hell brought you up so badly!

Maybe he comes from south of Doncaster? There is life down here you know!

Cue the "professional Yorkshiremen"!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You have to understand the quality and expectations of many posters on here. Anything more than 50 Baht for a khao pad and they are running for the hills. 

Complaining that 250 Baht is expensive for a decent plate of food says more about the poster than the product.

Depends how good it is, try it and report back, or maybe just hot air from you

Well, you surely haven't based your criticism on the quality, as you said you haven't been

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Well, you surely haven't based your criticism on the quality, as you said you haven't been

"Pensioner special" is a term used in the UK, seen it in seaside resorts one day a week, for the elderly, usually smaller portion but cheaper would suit hotandsticky

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Pensioner special" is a term used in the UK, seen it in seaside resorts one day a week, for the elderly, usually smaller portion but cheaper would suit hotandsticky

What holds you back then to go try it out on the other 6 days of the week?

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

I have no doubt that the proprietor acts in good faith and purchases it as such.

The people farther removed from the end buyer have a lot to gain and zero consequences if the wrong fish ends up in the right box.  Kind of like Subway with their "chicken " sandwich that turned out to be mostly something else.  

It doesn't make sense to have a ship catch cold water fish half a world away, process + freeze the fish, and ship it thousands of miles to be thawed out, battered and deep fried when white fish can be obtained locally at a fraction of the cost.  

What does make sense is that Cod, Haddock and Plaice has had an overseas patronage for the past 4 decades and supplied by various "cool store" operators.

Managing the first ever "Fish and Chip" shop in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, back in the lates 70's and early eighties our frozen fish fillets were always supplied with the skin on, in 10kg boxes.

Making "proper" chips was seasonal. The available Lebanese potatoes changed from a good starch content to a more sugar basis, with end results that they became dark and oily. The "cool stores" had frozen chips to fill the gap.   

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i could eat it any day but these days fish and chips makes me want to puke, too oily, but I'm waiting for actual feedback, maybe you'll go?

I'm not a Brit, so when I fancy a half decent lunch or dinner, English food is the last thing that comes up in my mind.

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1