Women and Thailand expert discusses the misconceptions about Thai women.

Goat

46 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

It must be cherry season, because they're being picked. Chanyanit is one of 66 million. Einstein, Feynman, Oppenheimer, von Neumann, Bethe, Pauli, Bohr, Mandelbrot, Born, Ricardo, Spinoza, and so many others are members of an ethnicity which, in addition to be persecuted for thousands of years, has never been even a rounding error in its percent of the total human population.

I do not claim any credit for what your avatar did (including playing the bongos naked), so it isn't any western sense of superiority. I merely look at the data and came to a conclusion. Maybe discovery and invention is partly attributed to a critical mass of intellect being in the same place at the same time, and historical Thailand never enjoyed that critical mass. The Renaissance in Europe had that critical mass. In the UK in the days of Faraday and Maxwell, there was that critical mass. In Europe in the early 1900s, there was that critical mass of physicists. Sometimes events lead to the creation of a critical mass of intellect, such as the emergence of the Nazis brought so many together at Los Alamos (including Feynman). A critical mass developed in California in the 1980s, which led to Silicon Valley and the modern tech economy.

Many cultures had their day in the sun. Some had it, then faded away. Some still have it. Some never had it. Lots of books have been written and much controversial research has been done to try to explain this, but either no one has come up with the answer, or the answer is too uncomfortable to consider in polite company.

As noted in my post, all cultures and nations create myths which they teach their members. Pride can result, even false pride. Sometimes it even elicits a feeling of superiority, where members think the greatness of their fellows falls a bit on those who achieved nothing. That's the primary currency of the White Supremacists. I think some cultures inculcate that belief in superiority into their members better than others, often without cause or reason.

I recall a long ago interview with Orson Wells who was of the opinion that one particular minority had, pound for pound, achieved infinitely more than any other ethnic group. Many, myself included, would agree with him (as is clear in this post). In polite company we might be allowed to have a top, but we are not allowed to have a bottom. Especially today we suffer from a kind of cognitive dissonance, where we accept that there are #1s, but no lowest in anything. Rather than look for reasons and try to correct what may be due to a host of fixable factors, we accept, that except for the #1s we allow, everybody else is equal, when an objective look at reality says quite the opposite.

Perhaps someone can explain why achievement is so narrowly focused, not only among individuals, but even between cultures.

There are about 16 million Jews worldwide. About 1.4 billion Muslims.

The first group has produced over 200 Nobel Prize winners in what I call the hard sciences - physics, chemistry, and medicine. The latter group, just two.

One has to wonder what went wrong, as the Middle East was the centre of scientific progress prior to the Renaissance.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having done so and regretting it, if Thai men are not interested in single mothers they are in the right, IMO. Bringing up other men's children is a mug's game IMO.

No one that hasn't done so has zero idea what it's like.

Can you project your unfortunate experience onto everyone else? It's like relationships with bar girls, there are good and bad ones.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 12:36 PM, Walker88 said:

I don't feel violated, so no need to call the cops.

He has an opinion based on his experience, observations and what people have told him. So do I. We differ in our opinion.

This is a Forum, the point of which (besides the owner hoping to make money) is to post opinions. I did not convince him, but neither did he convince me.

There is an elite in Thailand who have created a pretty good deal for themselves. 1% control 75% of the nation's wealth. They also control the levers of power, which includes the education system as well as the myths inculcated into the other 99%. As I noted, they even created laws to make questioning of some myths a crime. At the leadership level they miss few opportunities to reinforce the myths, which impacts the people's sense of self and keeps them pliable and corralled.

I think if reality, rather than myth, was taught, the people might be unleashed. That might create a larger pie from which the elite could benefit in a nominal way, although the percent of the larger pie the elite control would be less. It seems those who make the rules, the education system, etc., do not want to risk that, as wealth combined with power seems to be their goal.

I live in a country that IMO proves that sheeple can be raised anywhere. The Thais just do it differently.

As for the 1 %, they are everywhere in every country. Nothing unique to Thailand re the 1 %.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, Lacessit said:

Can you project your unfortunate experience onto everyone else? It's like relationships with bar girls, there are good and bad ones.

As always what I write is IMO, unless a link is provided. I even included IMO in the post that you quoted.

One could, IMO, say that there are good and bad bar girls till they marry a sucker, when they all become bad, but given I obviously don't know every Thai farang union in the country I may be wrong on that. I just know that an awful lot of failed marriages are discussed on this forum, and they all started out as love and happiness. My own wife was truly wonderful till she wasn't, and then she became the harpy from hell. Was she always a hidden harpy, or did something after marriage change her? On that I'll never know.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:50 PM, Lacessit said:

The first group has produced over 200 Nobel Prize winners in what I call the hard sciences - physics, chemistry, and medicine. The latter group, just two.

One has to wonder what went wrong, as the Middle East was the centre of scientific progress prior to the Renaissance.

and IMO before Nobel got very rich making a better munition to kill people the center of invention on the planet was Britain, and wherever British people migrated. However, look at Britain now and wonder how that <deleted> could have ruled half the planet, let alone invent good stuff.

Stuff happens, and things change- such is life.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

did something after marriage change her? On that I'll never know.

maybe if you didn't pay sin sod, declaring to her family and friends that she was worthless... maybe that wore on her through the years? 

I have seen that play out several times... the guy proudly touts, 'I ain't payin' no sin sod.' Then the girl eventually hates him and the family finally decides to take revenge and steal whatever they can.' 

The guy thiinks the family are a bunch of thieves, not having the cultural/personal awareness to realize that he stole from them first...

Anything in there sound familiar? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, look at Britain now and wonder how that <deleted> could have ruled half the planet, let alone invent good stuff.

We're good at fighting and killing hand to hand. That's how we ruled half the planet.

Edited by BritManToo

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and IMO before Nobel got very rich making a better munition to kill people the center of invention on the planet was Britain, and wherever British people migrated. However, look at Britain now and wonder how that <deleted> could have ruled half the planet, let alone invent good stuff.

Stuff happens, and things change- such is life.

The Germans were no slouches at technology either, virtually all the foods we eat are courtesy of Rudolf Diesel.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, Lacessit said:

Poor education. Laziness. Bad attitudes.

44 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

And for the majority who don't know WW1 history, he was Australian

And Jewish as well, which did not sit comfortably with the British aristocracy and their military leaders.