Israel-Hamas ceasefire and hostage deal won’t happen before Friday, Israeli and US officials say

CharlieH

image.png

Israeli and US officials have said a four-day Gaza truce and hostage release will not start until at least Friday, thwarting the hopes of families that some captives would be freed on Thursday.

As the wait continued, Khan Younis in southern Gaza was hit by Israeli airstrikes and artillery in at least two waves early on Thursday, Palestinian media reported.

Tensions also rose on Israel’s northern border with Lebanon early Thursday, after Hezbollah said five fighters, including the son of the head of the militant group’s parliamentary bloc, had been killed.

Israeli national security adviser Tzachi Hanegbi indicated the release of at least 50 Israeli and foreign hostages held by Hamas was on track, but would not happen until Friday at the earliest.

“The contacts on the release of our hostages are advancing and continuing constantly,” he said in a statement. “The start of the release will take place according to the original agreement between the sides, and not before Friday.”

Multiple news outlets later cited anonymous Israeli officials as saying that the halt in fighting would also not begin on Thursday, as had been widely expected.

White House spokesperson Adrienne Watson said final logistical details for the release were being worked out. “That is on track and we are hopeful that implementation will begin on Friday morning,” Watson said.

It was not immediately clear what caused the delay. The deal had been expected to come into force from Thursday. An Egyptian security source told Reuters that mediators had sought a start time of 10am.

Israel’s public broadcaster Kan, citing an unidentified Israeli official, reported there was a 24-hour delay because the agreement was not signed by Hamas and mediator Qatar. The official said they were optimistic the agreement would be carried out once it was signed.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

Hopefully this will come to pass soon and all the unfortunate victims of this horrific terrorist crime are reunited with their families that beeing said I’m deeply frustrated with the constant 24 7 media coverage of this crime it in my humble opinion plays rite into these criminal mass murdering pigs hands and only encourages them to commit further atrocities 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Tug said:

Hopefully this will come to pass soon and all the unfortunate victims of this horrific terrorist crime are reunited with their families that beeing said I’m deeply frustrated with the constant 24 7 media coverage of this crime it in my humble opinion plays rite into these criminal mass murdering pigs hands and only encourages them to commit further atrocities 

You're right, but then again, what you gonna do? Not air it? It's news. I think the line is (maybe) drawn at airing hostages statements while in the hands of captors, public torture and some statements from terrorists. Thing is if one channel gives it a miss, it's a big temptation for another to air it. And sure enough, Hamas knows the score.

What I think will happen, though, in the not so far future, is a new trend of hostage taking (not restricted to Israel, or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict).