Bank account freeze scam strikes fear: Fraudsters use shocking new tactics in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Fraudsters have mastered the art of freezing bank accounts and fabricating account screenshots, leaving victims vulnerable to a financial nightmare.

A TikTok user, @tawanviewsomboons, has exposed a cutting-edge scam that could leave anyone’s finances in tatters.

@tawanviewsomboons posted today a cautionary video, shedding light on the elaborate tactics employed by these scammers.

In the video, @tawanviewsomboons recounts a distressing incident where a close acquaintance fell prey to the fraudsters. The scammers, posing as bank representatives, initiated a call and successfully froze the mobile banking applications of the unsuspecting victim.

Displaying a service unavailable message on two banking apps, the fraudsters then dropped a bombshell, claiming the victim was embroiled in a money-laundering case, and their account was being frozen as part of an ongoing police investigation.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

26 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

So what i take from this rant is after a 30 year career in IT you have no idea how to take precautions when using banking apps?

Most Thais i see these days are paying by phone unless at a local market type place.

You can take it as a rant or advice - totally up to you - not compulsory - but maybe read the headline again (and a lot of other similar stories). 

I see many Thais doing things I would never do (riding bikes without helmets etc etc etc) - that is not a very good example as to why to use an app.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Never use banking app on a phone - or any payment apps - there are many potential downsides - it is a risk.

So is walking across the road.......

There is always risk but if you bank with SCB and want to make payments online you unfortunately now have no choice other than to use their app. I don't like it and even had to buy a new phone because of it - otherwise becomes very inconvenient.

A well respected and occasional poster on here (sorry can't recall his exact posting name) works for Bangkok Bank currently in that area and he would probably disagree with you.

You may have the technical nouse to secure your pc and online behaviour but unfortunately many don't and for them, whether online on a pc or a phone, there is always a risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, perconrad said:

My bank, Siam Commercial Bank, closed down internet banking some month ago and now I only have an app on my smartphone to do banking business on.

So it is not so easy to follow your advice as you perhaps think.

There are only 3 banks in Thailand that are 'fully certified' in Australia which has one of the best if not the best banking syhstem in the World as evidenced by the GFC in 2008-2009.  Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank and Siam Commercial Bank.

I cancelled my SCB account when they decided to only offer phone app banking to its 'ordinary' customers. 

Neither BKK or KB have gone down that road and probably they never will.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

46 minutes ago, topt said:

So with your 30 years of experience please explain how a scammer just by calling someone was "supposedly" able to freeze their account?

IMO either a lot of information has been left out or as one poster suggested it is made up.

So many ways that it is impossible to say which one was involved - but all it takes is pressing the wrong button or opening the wrong email or text or message etc etc etc. And then there is the additional problems/issues that arise when using the app to pay for something. Endless. 

Scammers and hackers are attacking phones relentlessly - for a reason.

• Confused 3

35 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

1. Your initial point was that the apps aren't safe.  Now you have switched to "Government and Companies are all bad", switching the bad guy from the hackers to the banks (and throwing in government as a bonus).  Your message would be cleaner if it was a single grumpy-conspiracy rant.

2. While you are right that banks don't usually do things out of the goodness of their hearts, you seem to rule out the idea that making things easier for me can also benefit the bank.  Making electronic transactions easier and more widespread means I keep more money in the bank that they can loan out, rather than keeping cash under my mattress.

The banks, especially in the west, have been pushing people to use their App on their phones for a reason and it aint for the customers.

Same thing with the ATMs - remember them when they first came out - now there are less and less branches (that was the plan mate). 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, topt said:

So is walking across the road.......

There is always risk but if you bank with SCB and want to make payments online you unfortunately now have no choice other than to use their app. I don't like it and even had to buy a new phone because of it - otherwise becomes very inconvenient.

A well respected and occasional poster on here (sorry can't recall his exact posting name) works for Bangkok Bank currently in that area and he would probably disagree with you.

You may have the technical nouse to secure your pc and online behaviour but unfortunately many don't and for them, whether online on a pc or a phone, there is always a risk.

True - points taken.

And yes - not only do I know how to secure my laptop - I guarantee you that I can secure it far more than I could secure my phone.

By as you point out so many people these days have no idea how things work - they just want to use what is easiest.

Up to them - but I certainly will not - unless/until smart phones can bemade as secure as laptops can be.

PS - iPhones are as good as you can get, so if you must use an App (maybe try BKK or KB) use it on an iPhone. Maybe also Google Youtube on how to secure your iPhone - lots of available advice - and even some software you can pay for to help. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Never use banking app on a phone - or any payment apps - there are many potential downsides - it is a risk. And in Thailand, or any 3rd world IT country with a dubious banking system and very few legal protections and legal rights, it is absolutely a massive risk.  I worked in IT for 30+ years and have been saying this for years - they are phones - smart phones - but still they are phones.

I guarantee you that if any Company (eg. Bank) or Government Dept (eg. Tax) is offering you something for nothing that will "make things easier for you to live your life and fulfill all your goals and ambitions' - it is a croc of poo-poo.  They are doing it for their own benefit - not you.

Unfortunately these days with so many young stupid over-educated idiots - banking and payment apps are being used a lot on phones.  Which is a good thing, because that is what the scammers and hackers are all targetting these days.  Meanwhile all us old school dinosaurs using heavily secured laptops and paying for everything using cash (like many Thais) are sailing in far smoother waters - we still have got to be careful, but far less chance of a major catastrophy. 

Some time ago we can do banking through there website but the Thai banking was of the opinion that is was fraudulent, do you still believe it?

I not.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Confused 1

Never use banking app on a phone - or any payment apps - there are many potential downsides - it is a risk. And in Thailand, or any 3rd world IT country with a dubious banking system and very few legal protections and legal rights, it is absolutely a massive risk.  I worked in IT for 30+ years and have been saying this for years - they are phones - smart phones - but still they are phones.

I guarantee you that if any Company (eg. Bank) or Government Dept (eg. Tax) is offering you something for nothing that will "make things easier for you to live your life and fulfill all your goals and ambitions' - it is a croc of poo-poo.  They are doing it for their own benefit - not you.

Unfortunately these days with so many young stupid over-educated idiots - banking and payment apps are being used a lot on phones.  Which is a good thing, because that is what the scammers and hackers are all targetting these days.  Meanwhile all us old school dinosaurs using heavily secured laptops and paying for everything using cash (like many Thais) are sailing in far smoother waters - we still have got to be careful, but far less chance of a major catastrophy. 

Folks in AUS get done over with funds gone from accounts..  but not often on news... you know... nanny state privacy for your protection....  load of BS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Certainly caution is advised. As to financial catastrophe, I limit the funds here in Thailand which mitigates the risk. Thus my use of the monthly income method into one bank account for monthly expenses. Another bank account for savings (also limited amount). I guess I took it to heart when upon retiring here that one should put at risk only what one could afford to lose.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:
4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Never use banking app on a phone - or any payment apps - there are many potential downsides

Best advice ever...

In the near future you may not have a choice.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Certainly caution is advised. As to financial catastrophe, I limit the funds here in Thailand which mitigates the risk. Thus my use of the monthly income method into one bank account for monthly expenses. Another bank account for savings (also limited amount). I guess I took it to heart when upon retiring here that one should put at risk only what one could afford to lose.

Good strategy - unlike back in 'the west' where if you can show it was fraudulently obtained, you will get refunded, that does not happen in Thailand much. I still recall that bank manager in Pattaya that stole Expats money - it took a long time and I am not sure even with the media exposure if they ever got it refunded.  

45 minutes ago, rwill said:

In the near future you may not have a choice.

Yes that is true - and it is another reason to 'resist'. Not that I would call it a conspiracy, but if it suits the banks benefits and the govt gets benefits too, then they will encourage it - and maybe even eventually make it mandatory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

True - points taken.

And yes - not only do I know how to secure my laptop - I guarantee you that I can secure it far more than I could secure my phone.

By as you point out so many people these days have no idea how things work - they just want to use what is easiest.

Up to them - but I certainly will not - unless/until smart phones can bemade as secure as laptops can be.

PS - iPhones are as good as you can get, so if you must use an App (maybe try BKK or KB) use it on an iPhone. Maybe also Google Youtube on how to secure your iPhone - lots of available advice - and even some software you can pay for to help. 

How in this day and age can you go about your life with constant fear of getting hacked?

Almost daily you'll use your phone / CC / DB or some other form of payment, even going to a bank to withdraw cash you have to show your passport and they have your address, are you not worried about this too?

The land and transport dept have your details, airlines have you details, just about any interaction these days requires giving personal info.

I'm not a big fan of it either but it's the way of the world these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

How in this day and age can you go about your life with constant fear of getting hacked?

Almost daily you'll use your phone / CC / DB or some other form of payment, even going to a bank to withdraw cash you have to show your passport and they have your address, are you not worried about this too?

The land and transport dept have your details, airlines have you details, just about any interaction these days requires giving personal info.

I'm not a big fan of it either but it's the way of the world these days.

Not easy I know - and it is getting harder too.

But if you have the best protection, and take the right actions, and dont do the wrong ones, that is all you can do. 

No need to have a constant fear - you just need to be vigilant and aware of the latest scams and how hackers succeed.

Dont go into the bank branch - only to open the account - and then only do that at a big branch.

Only take out money from an ATM in a secure location - Mall or Makro etc.

I only bring into Thailand what I intend to spend over the next 3-4 months.

Absolutely no one in Thailand has my home country details - addreess,banking, taxation etc. (when forced here I give mistaken details).

Using an app on a phone for banking and payments is just not the best strategy IMO

As others have said - limit the amount in there and that is a wise move - certainly do not use the bank account with 400K/800K in it.

If I had to - absolutely had to - I would open a new account at another bank with a small amount of money - and use that one only.

But I doubt that will be mandated in Thailand while I am alive - however, this 10K 'digital currency handout' is a worry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Meanwhile all us old school dinosaurs using heavily secured laptops and paying for everything using cash (like many Thais) are sailing in far smoother waters - we still have got to be careful, but far less chance of a major catastrophy. 

Phones are more locked down than laptops in terms of security. Try writing an app that covertly records screen or logs keys, or digs around the file system content of other apps - can't be done normally. The hoops developers have to jump through to do things that are straightforward on laptops can be significant, or not possible at all. Not without finding an operating system level exploit.

Yes a careful laptop user vs a careless phone user, will still see the phone user at higher risk. Two careless users though? My money would be on the phone being more secure.

• Confused 1