Bank account freeze scam strikes fear: Fraudsters use shocking new tactics in Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Never use banking app on a phone - or any payment apps - there are many potential downsides - it is a risk. 

I always said the same but since Dtac ended their Dtac Call service,I've been forced to install the Kbank app on my phone.  I'm mostly in the UK and when I do a transaction with my normal Kasikorn online banking , I need to be able to receive a one time password (OTP) on my phone to my Thai SIM.

Even with my Thai SIM on wifi calling it can sometimes take an hour to receive the OTP the transaction times out after a few minutes. The app works fine.

One thing I don't like about the Kasikorn app is that my account balance is available without having to enter my PIN on the app.

Edited by MangoKorat

12 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I always said the same but since Dtac ended their Dtac Call service,I've been forced to install the Kbank app on my phone.  I'm mostly in the UK and when I do a transaction with my normal Kasikorn online banking , I need to be able to receive a one time password (OTP) on my phone to my Thai SIM.

Even with my Thai SIM on wifi calling it can sometimes take an hour to receive the OTP the transaction times out after a few minutes. The app works fine.

One thing I don't like about the Kasikorn app is that my account balance is available without having to enter my PIN on the app.

You can toggle the quick balance on/off from this screen.

Screenshot_20231125_062841.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I don't even pickup the phone to answer a call unless I know who is calling, everyone else can leave a message, and don't expect a call back.

Same here. Waaay back when this stuff wasn’t even a thing and my bank genuinely called, I told them I was hanging up and would call back through their switchboard. If people switch off and find ‘their bank’ has phoned them, hang up!

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I have never done this in reverse - but my Australian SIM is in a separate mobile phone here and I receive SMS OTP - for the normal minimum monthly plan.  Maybe find out how much it is for a Thai SIM to be able to recieve SMS overseas on roaming. I dont make or answer any calls or use it for anything else - massive costs when on roaming.  Friends family either email or SMS me.

When finding out how best to do it long term, I went through all the options and tested things to make sure they worked on my previous visit. This was the best option - way better than VPN etc etc. 

I use Bangkok Bank and once I have set up a payee, any future transactions do not need an OTP - only when setting it up.  

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

I said it before Mobile banking  isn't Safe/Apps are not Safe .

Use them at your own risk.

ATMs aren't safe. Can't get your card skimmed doing a cardless withdrawal (through an app). Skimming is probably a larger issue than compromised apps - but skimming can be mitigated by avoiding outdoor ATMs.

If someone is worried, buy a cheap phone, factory reset and *only* use it for banking - no apps, no web browsing. Short of state level hacking, this is about as low risk as it gets.

13 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Maybe find out how much it is for a Thai SIM to be able to recieve SMS overseas on roaming.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I do have roaming turned on but there is no mobile signal where I live in the UK. When Dtac Call was working, I got an SMS immediately, using the Wifi function it is very slow.  Both systems use Wifi but Dtac Call worked through an Application.

• Thanks 1

This is a fake story I believe you just can't freeze a bank app.  You need security codes and all that, maybe if your phone gets hacked but it should not be possible to freeze the app. 

On 11/24/2023 at 9:53 AM, lordgrinz said:

I don't even pickup the phone to answer a call unless I know who is calling, everyone else can leave a message, and don't expect a call back.

Lazada deliveries require a phone call very likely from an unknown number. I was told the agent required a call pickup for him to be able to flag an item as delivered. It is possible your message answering service makes that work. 

• Confused 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:08 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

So many ways that it is impossible to say which one was involved - but all it takes is pressing the wrong button or opening the wrong email or text or message etc etc etc. And then there is the additional problems/issues that arise when using the app to pay for something. Endless. 

Scammers and hackers are attacking phones relentlessly - for a reason.

So what you're saying is that ignorant or stupid users are the problem... not the app or the bank.  

3 hours ago, balo said:

This is a fake story I believe you just can't freeze a bank app.  You need security codes and all that, maybe if your phone gets hacked but it should not be possible to freeze the app. 

Heaven knows.... I suspect people are persuaded to give out access information. I know one of my apps allows me to block all outward transactions. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Lazada deliveries require a phone call very likely from an unknown number. I was told the agent required a call pickup for him to be able to flag an item as delivered. It is possible your message answering service makes that work. 

I get these calls, I just don't answer them, I use these anonymous calls to know when the delivery driver is close to delivering. But a few minutes later I also get an email saying my package has been delivered (dropped off outside).

• Sad 1

On 11/24/2023 at 12:18 PM, perconrad said:

My bank, Siam Commercial Bank, closed down internet banking some month ago and now I only have an app on my smartphone to do banking business on.

That's very sad.  I only use the internet for banking or if I use my phone, ie paying the electric bill, I use the mobile app in my secure wifi at my home only.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I do have roaming turned on but there is no mobile signal where I live in the UK. When Dtac Call was working, I got an SMS immediately, using the Wifi function it is very slow.  Both systems use Wifi but Dtac Call worked through an Application.

I understand - bugger - between a rock and a hard place there mate.

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So what you're saying is that ignorant or stupid users are the problem... not the app or the bank.  

They are both the problem. But stupid people cannot easily stop being stupid - but they can be less ignorant - which invariably involves takling advice from others. A stupid person just refuses to listen to what they dont like and/or do not want to agree with. 

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They can't do anything just by calling. Victim clicked on a link or similar.

Yes. That is the 'human error' part of the equation.  But because they had a banking app that link or sms or line mesage or whatever was able to hack into their bank account.  I can click on anything - there is no banking app on my phone with all those details to hack.  

21 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

LOL.  Yes you are correct.  Correction below:   

Unfortunately these days with so many young stupid over-educated idiots IN THE WORLD - banking and payment apps are being used a lot on phones INCLUDING HERE IN THAILAND.

I was referring to the use of the phrase 'over-educated' when applied to Thai youth!

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I was referring to the use of the phrase 'over-educated' when applied to Thai youth!

Yes Mike I hear you - being over-educated in Thailand is a rare occurance that is for sure :wink:

But I am not saure what is worse.

That Thailand has so many lovely nice uneducated people who know very little.

Or the west that has so many over-educated idiots that think they know everything. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:31 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Unfortunately these days with so many young stupid over-educated idiots IN THE WORLD - banking and payment apps are being used a lot on phones INCLUDING HERE IN THAILAND.

You're not really in a position to be calling anyone an idiot on this, when you seem to have no idea how the security model of modern smartphones works - and believe laptops are inherently safer.

Edited by jacob29

22 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Then there's the ignorant idiots, who seem to have no idea how the security model of modern smartphones works - and believe laptops are inherently safer.

I have forgotten more about IT security than you will ever know or realise.  Until maybe that day when you suddenly realise and say 'oh shi***'.  I do hope it never happens, but if it does I wish you 'good luck'.   

On 11/26/2023 at 11:28 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes. That is the 'human error' part of the equation.  But because they had a banking app that link or sms or line mesage or whatever was able to hack into their bank account.

I don't know...this logic sounds a lot like the logic of "If that foreigner wasn't walking down our sidewalk, I wouldn't have hit him with my car.".

Like yes, technically true but...probably not the right answer.

21 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

I don't know...this logic sounds a lot like the logic of "If that foreigner wasn't walking down our sidewalk, I wouldn't have hit him with my car.".

Like yes, technically true but...probably not the right answer.

Up to you. But if you do walk down sidewalks in Thailand you better stay vigilent and be constantly on alert :biggrin: (and watch your head)