Bank account freeze scam strikes fear: Fraudsters use shocking new tactics in Thailand

webfact

On 11/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, perconrad said:

My bank, Siam Commercial Bank, closed down internet banking some month ago and now I only have an app on my smartphone to do banking business on.

So it is not so easy to follow your advice as you perhaps think.

Its not so hard either....  you can move bank. I've moved from SCB for two reasons...

1) they closed internet Banking.

2) they don't provide NDID service for foreigners (Bangkok Bank do) which means we cannot transfer 50,000 baht or more unless we sign a waver (and absolves SCB of responsibility in the event of fraudulent activity on our accounts).

On 11/27/2023 at 11:53 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I have forgotten more about IT security than you will ever know or realise.  Until maybe that day when you suddenly realise and say 'oh shi***'.  I do hope it never happens, but if it does I wish you 'good luck'.   

Modern smartphone security has evolved dramatically over the last decade or two - whatever you have forgotten in most cases no longer applies. You can't even address the simple examples provided of how (windows) PC based security falls well short of smartphones, instead opting for a confused emoji - fair play at least you were being honest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacob29 said:

Modern smartphone security has evolved dramatically over the last decade or two - whatever you have forgotten in most cases no longer applies. You can't even address the simple examples provided of how (windows) PC based security falls well short of smartphones, instead opting for a confused emoji - fair play at least you were being honest.

Saw a bloke yesterday walk up to am ATM - he pressed a few numbers and then showed a screenshot to the ATM camera - money given.

Now you may say what you want - that is inherently far more of a security issue than an ATM card that has a 'security chip' in it - phones dont.

There are lots of similar situations I have either observed or an aware of - I stay involved and am across most of the issues.

When people who work in roles that requires TSPV clearances use smartphones in their jobs, then I will know you are right.

But that is up to you - and yes there are many mitigating things you can do - especially on iPhones.

I am referring to people like the woman that was in the bank screaming at them that their App had 'taken all my money' and that the bank was at fault for allowing that to happen - totally ignorant of everything.

Seems that like me you are aware of and understand what the risks are and do things to mitigate them - most do not - and are not told.