Thai snack Pa Tong Go in charcoal colour struggles in market

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-11-24-150600.png

A recent online post featuring an image of a traditional Thai snack known as Pa Tong Go sparked interest and discussion.

Many people are familiar with this snack, typically golden yellow in colour and standard in shape, which is often served in pairs. Some variations may involve moulding the dough into different shapes.

However, a recent post that has been widely shared requests help from online users to rename a new menu item. The original name was Charcoal Pa Tong Go, which was not selling well. The image accompanying the post shows a snack resembling pa tong go but differs in being dark in colour.

The combination of these elements led many to think beyond the usual. Amid the comments, there was a common sentiment that certain snacks might not suit charcoal dough. It was also suggested that changing the shape of the snack could be a way to improve its appeal, reported KhaoSod.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of Hot Thai Kitchen

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

We've got two Pa Tong Go stalls in our nearest "mini metropolis"

One is run by a grumpy old bat. The oil is so filthy they come out dark brown and taste foul.

The other is run by a cheerful pretty young lady, they are light, fluffy and golden brown (come to think of it so is she!) she always remembers to give me unsweetened soy milk. No prizes for guessing where I buy my occasional snack!

I don't think I would fancy charcoal coloured/flavoured Pa Tong Go!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

They give me indigestion, are unhealthy, but fresh and cleanly prepared are irresistible. Skip the sweetened condensed milk and soy. I limit my consumption to an impulse buy once a month.

Like so many "good" things they are unhealthy if you eat them every day! But as an occasional treat, not a problem. Dark secret - I really like McDonalds, but again only once a month or so! My beloved daughter has recently done some sort of a course on nutrition at school - and tends to lecture me on such matters!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

They give me indigestion, are unhealthy, but fresh and cleanly prepared are irresistible. Skip the sweetened condensed milk and soy. I limit my consumption to an impulse buy once a month.

They are really tasty with that pandanus (bai toey) flavored gloop, especially when still warm.