Death of spouse effect on my marriage visa?

So many weird replies to the OP.

His course of action is clear.

Especially given that he is immobile.

Needs wheelchair outside of the house.

Some suggestions even include relocation to Philippines.

Not in order but his options are clear.

Have an agreement drawn up to have right to remain in house until his passing.

Use an agent to obtain extensions based on retirement. 

No funds in bank and approx 15k per year.

If wife has any funds make sure he has access to this via Will or whatever. ...

Tick Tock.

The OP has contributed little and not returned for 8 hours. 

Don't think even indicated which province apart from lives in little village. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

When my first wife passed away in 1995, I was allowed to remain in the country until the end of my current extension. There was a dual income requirement, then, and my income wouldn't qualify for a retirement extension for another year, so my immigration officer recommended I do border runs until I turned 60. In those days you couldn't change your visa type inside the Kingdom.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Acharn said:

When my first wife passed away in 1995, I was allowed to remain in the country until the end of my current extension. There was a dual income requirement, then, and my income wouldn't qualify for a retirement extension for another year, so my immigration officer recommended I do border runs until I turned 60. In those days you couldn't change your visa type inside the Kingdom.

In those days extensions were not treated as they are now however - end of reason for extension ends the extension that day is the normal procedure now.  But believe most will allow marriage extension to run until stamped date if they can.  These days multi tourist visas are also restricted at land crossings.

37 minutes ago, Acharn said:

There was a dual income requirement, then, and my income wouldn't qualify for a retirement extension for another year, so my immigration officer recommended I do border runs until I turned 60. In those days you couldn't change your visa type inside the Kingdom.

Do not understand your post 

If you were under 50 when wife passed then you could not change to extension based on retirement.

Also you would not have been changing visa type only changing basis of extension from marriage to retirement.

BTW it's 50 not 60.

In any event irrelevant for the OP who is 90.

Has no money and wheelchair bound outside family home. 

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW it's 50 not 60.

Actually believe normal retirement was 60 in 1995.  They later increased the financials but lowered the age to 50.

Was 200k in bank age 60 or 500k in bank age 55 until 1998 when change to new 800k age 50 for new extensions.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 1:49 PM, lopburi3 said:

Move to another country, such as Philippines, which has inexpensive care available and no visa issues extending tourist entry for years might also be an option.

Surely a brain fade.

Usually your advice is spot on.

So a guy in 90,s with wife recently deceased .

No funds .

Confined to wheelchair out of village house.  .

Ships off to Philippines.

Ridiculous. 

• Agree 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Surely a brain fade.

Usually your advice is spot on.

So a guy in 90,s with wife recently deceased .

No funds .

Confined to wheelchair out of village house.  .

Ships off to Philippines.

Ridiculous. 

Many do it - if have no ties other than wife here it is a last option to a return to UK - he has a pension and at least 400k in baht plus anything from wife after her death.

17 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

But a tad interesting, don't you think?

That is what I like about threads when they spin off into related areas of interest (without going completely off topic).

Sometimes yes.

In this specific thread I'm surprised with ridiculous suggestions from many. 

The OP was very specific.

Albeit has not revisited thread..

There is only one option for the op and I have outlined that. 

I know Truebrit, he is not a troll. He lives west of Udon, some way off. His situation is indeed difficult. 

Only suggestion i can add is find another expat, who maybe has spare accommodation, he could rent/share, and possibly help him with mobility. Not sure what friends he has, at his age most he had have probably passed on. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

I know Truebrit, he is not a troll. He lives west of Udon, some way off. His situation is indeed difficult. 

Only suggestion i can add is find another expat, who maybe has spare accommodation, he could rent/share, and possibly help him with mobility. Not sure what friends he has, at his age most he had have probably passed on. 

Thank you.

Truebrit's problem is NOT a lack of planning. After all how far ahead can you really, successfully plan?

It is mostly bad luck that his wife died before him and the fact that no matter how well you plan it is impossible to see 10, 20, 30 or more years into the future, no matter what the posters on ANN/TVF say. they are really no smarter than anyone else.

Some of them just think that they are.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

Truebrit's problem is NOT a lack of planning. After all how far ahead can you really, successfully plan?

It is mostly bad luck that his wife died before him and the fact that no matter how well you plan it is impossible to see 10, 20, 30 or more years into the future, no matter what the posters on ANN/TVF say. they are really no smarter than anyone else.

Some of them just think that they are.

Note nothing in thread that wife has died - only that she may due to having cancer.  He is trying to make contingency plans.

• Agree 1

On 11/25/2023 at 9:53 AM, trubrit said:

obviously another marriage is out of the question at my age

Don't believe anyone has commented on this, and it is indeed a personal issue, but do not believe there is any rule preventing 90 year old's marriage to a caretaker if that might help them both.

• Agree 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:02 PM, DrJack54 said:

Surely a joke.

The OP is in 90,s.

Cannot afford financials for extension based on retirement.

Cannot afford home care 

Is in wheelchair for going outside.

Provide sensible alternatives for OP or post nothing

Do you have reading comprehension issues? Nowhere in his post did he suggest that he paid for any land. For all you know, his wife bought the land and house. You love to come on here and try to force your own world view and experiences on others don't you? Maybe try getting a life.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

For all you know, his wife bought the land and house

He certainly cannot buy the land past or future.

He may have paid for house.

Not the point.

Currently married. 

Good guess that his wife would like him to remain in the home.

Agreements to facilitate that are often done. 

What advice have you provided? 

As usual Nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1