PM Tackles Fake News to Protect Tourism Industry

webfact

7 minutes ago, Forrests Father said:

Can we get some details here? I haven’t seen any fake news about Thailand lately. Many actual news are so bad that you cannot make them up. 

We can only wish that most of it was fake lol, it is not exactly motivational to see how more and more goes down.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If only this so called leader had any idea about how the real world works. He is likely in a position where he has dealt with alot of sycophants, and he appears to abhor truth, directness, reality, and honesty. Anything to cover up what is really happening.

It is not the current events, not the economy, not the difficulties people are dealing with around the world! It is fake news! 

One wonders if Thailand will ever have a good, noble, effective, fair, and righteous leader. They shot down Pita. Now, woe is Thailand. The backward movement continues. 

Well said and spot on. I do believe that for a long part of his reign the previous King did a lot of those things you mentioned and he progressed Thailand well into the modern world. The last decade or so he slowed down it seems and he 'got old'. 

The PM comes from one of the 5 extremely wealthy Bangkok families that control/influence Thailand a lot. You are right, he was in a very privileged position and his business successes were virtually guaranteed. Dealing with reality and difficult complex and negative situations, is not something that he seems to have much experience with. 

Thailand has for a long time now, adopted the 'Chinese Model' whereby they suppress and ignore any bad news, and continue to speak only positives and platitudes about how great everything is. Unlike China, which is finally being forced to deal with its current reality, the authorities in Thailand are still moving forward in that same manner. IMO there is only going to be 2 outcomes - one is that they somehow scrape though - the other is that they crash. The writing has been on the wall a while - I think the Junta knew and got out early - this guy looks to me like a patsy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Well said and spot on. I do believe that for a long part of his reign the previous King did a lot of those things you mentioned and he progressed Thailand well into the modern world. The last decade or so he slowed down it seems and he 'got old'. 

The PM comes from one of the 5 extremely wealthy Bangkok families that control/influence Thailand a lot. You are right, he was in a very privileged position and his business successes were virtually guaranteed. Dealing with reality and difficult complex and negative situations, is not something that he seems to have much experience with. 

Thailand has for a long time now, adopted the 'Chinese Model' whereby they suppress and ignore any bad news, and continue to speak only positives and platitudes about how great everything is. Unlike China, which is finally being forced to deal with its current reality, the authorities in Thailand are still moving forward in that same manner. IMO there is only going to be 2 outcomes - one is that they somehow scrape though - the other is that they crash. The writing has been on the wall a while - I think the Junta knew and got out early - this guy looks to me like a patsy. 

Unfortunately, I believe it will be the latter. Thailand might have been the tiger of SE Asia a decade or so ago, having been the 22nd largest economy in the world, but those days are long gone. So, I would say it would be safe to refer to Thailand as an up and coming country, post Covid. Assuming they can get it together, and put things back on track, which I seriously doubt will happen. I would not be surprised to see Thailand in 75th place in terms of GDP, 20 years from now. There is absolutely no doubt the nation is moving backwards, on at least a dozen levels. And unless a dynamic leader comes along, the great tiger will continue to devolve into a whiny, sickly, hungry, skinny little alley cat. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, webfact said:

Reports suggest that fake news, both from domestic and international sources, has been influencing tourists’ perceptions of safety in Thailand.

this sounds too much like a broken record.... to much of the same same but still same same and no difference

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Unfortunately, I believe it will be the latter. Thailand might have been the tiger of SE Asia a decade or so ago, having been the 22nd largest economy in the world, but those days are long gone. So, I would say it would be safe to refer to Thailand as an up and coming country, post Covid. Assuming they can get it together, and put things back on track, which I seriously doubt will happen. I would not be surprised to see Thailand in 75th place in terms of GDP, 20 years from now. There is absolutely no doubt the nation is moving backwards, on at least a dozen levels. And unless a dynamic leader comes along, the great tiger will continue to devolve into a whiny, sickly, hungry, skinny little alley cat. 

But 'they' don't care though, Mike, since their palms are well greased and normality does not include/affect them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most potential tourists read news in their native languages/countries. I doubt very much the PM will have much luck controlling the press in those countries.

Maybe improve the customer service/end-user experience and create your own good news. And stop with the "soft-power" nonsense.

And improve English language proficiency.

https://www.ef.co.th/epi/regions/asia/thailand/

• Thumbs Up 1

is this the type of "fake news" they want to hide from the Chinese

Luxembourg family demands justice after fatal road accident

The two were riding a motorbike when a car, driven by Russian national Irina Pustovalova, hit them from behind.

Despite the arrival of Major General Saksira Phueakam, the national Tourist Police Commissioner, in Phuket the next day, no information regarding the accident has been released by the police or local authorities. Phueakam had arrived to spearhead an increased campaign for tourist safety.

because the car driver was Russian maybe Vlad called  Prime Minister Srettha and asked for a "favor"

Edited by Mavideol
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Fake news alert.  There have been fake news stories reporting that Chinese tourists have been shot dead, blown up at Erawan shrine, abducted and raped by other Chinese, drowned in unseaworthy and unlicensed tour boats. These stories are all untrue. Please delete by order of the PM.  Job done.

• Thumbs Up 1