cheap software anywhere

surreybloke

I remember years ago in bkk for the first time and entering that huge IT place near Pratunam .     Amongst the the endless stall holders selling motherboards were folks selling reasonably priced software.  

I was in Korat and old it building looks like it is on its last legs.   Do any of these places still exist.    I am looking for a copy of Office.     Yes I have seen the deals on ebay.   I object to paying for a 365 subs considering how little I use it.  

any thoughts

Plenty of OEM versions on Lazada, "genuine", need activation by phone (automatic system).

Do record your final activation code as you won't be able to go through the phone activation system again if you need to re-install.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, surreybloke said:

I object to paying for a 365 subs considering how little I use it.  

Then don't use it. Free, legal, options available, at least one listed above. Stealing software is no different from stealing clothes or anything else.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, surreybloke said:

I remember years ago in bkk for the first time and entering that huge IT place near Pratunam .     Amongst the the endless stall holders selling motherboards were folks selling reasonably priced software.  

I was in Korat and old it building looks like it is on its last legs.   Do any of these places still exist.    I am looking for a copy of Office.     Yes I have seen the deals on ebay.   I object to paying for a 365 subs considering how little I use it.  

any thoughts

From whence do you think they sourced their ‘reasonably priced software’? They would download it from ‘warez’ websites on to CDs and DVDs. 
Once people obtained access to faster Internet and better anti-virus tool, there was a lesser need to purchase a disc from those shops. Hence their gradual disappearance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, surreybloke said:

any thoughts

Try AShampoo.Com, they sell an Office knockoff that works great. I think I paid around 20 usd for three licenses. Get on their mailing list and wait for a promotion.

You can also download OpenOffice for free. It works great for basic office functions. https://www.openoffice.org/download/

• Thumbs Up 1

for office, if you use so little of it to not warrant paying the subscription, free OSS alternative or online ones are plenty enough 

What would a pirated software shops sell these days? discs? nobody's got a dvd or cd drive in decades, 
I can see some value in usb sticks full of movies and stuff

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Plenty of OEM versions on Lazada, "genuine", need activation by phone (automatic system).

Do record your final activation code as you won't be able to go through the phone activation system again if you need to re-install.

This is the simplest way IMHO. I think the trick for the OP is where to download the stand-alone MS Office files instead of MS 365?

I have Office 2019 Pro but with only Word, Access, and Excel installed so my knowledge is a tad outdated. Also I can barely remember how I got it installed in the first place 🤦

Edited by Lemsta69
Added "Pro"
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

This is the simplest way IMHO. I think the trick for the OP is where to download the stand-alone MS Office files instead of MS 365?

I have Office 2019 Pro but with only Word, Access, and Excel installed so my knowledge is a tad outdated. Also I can barely remember how I got it installed in the first place 🤦

The places I've used include a link to the genuine MS download site (even for the non 365 versions) so you know there's nothing nasty lurking within.

Example of the above: https://pixelcodes.com/

Though do read the notes. Some can be setup via the Microsoft Office website and some will have separate download links(for Phone activation). Not all will have the capability to bind with a Microsoft account. Though I doubt any of those things are of concern to the OP. 

Edited by NextG

You can buy genuine from a Techspot affiliate. https://www.techspot.com/news/100373-microsoft-office-deal-gets-you-lifetime-license-33.html it is Office 2019 pro and fully legit.

As others have mentioned, you have plenty of free options with Google Apps, Microsoft Office online, Open Office and Libre Office.

Unless you are using VBA in your word docs or Excel sheets, you won't need Office installed on your computer. If you don't know what VBA is then you definitely don't. But it is Maybe out look desktop version you miss and that is understandable.

The licenses you buy on Ebay and the like are corporate license keys. They can have a bit of messing around. You can also run a powershell script to install the license rather than use a phone. But there is always a possibility that they will one day just stop working. Microsoft is continuing to change their Microsoft licensing.