Thailand intensifies fight against online fraud

webfact

image.jpeg

A heightened crackdown on online fraud and call centre scams is in motion, as directed by Thailand’s Prime Minister, Srettha Thavisin. His call for increased vigilance arose after he was personally targeted by scammers. His advice for the public is to adhere to the guidelines provided by the Digital Economy and Society (DES) Ministry to avoid becoming prey to these increasingly intricate scams.

To assist victims of such online fraud, the government has introduced a hotline, 1441, for individuals within Thailand to report incidents and seek help.

Furthermore, the DES Ministry has quickened its investigation into allegations concerning the hacking of the government’s database, which holds the personal information of millions of Thai citizens. Reports have surfaced stating that this information is being sold online. Last year, a report suggested that the personal data of approximately 30 million Thai citizens were available for purchase on RaidForums.

by Mitch Connor

Photo: aubank.in

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

There is quite a few digital platforms online that are recruiting people via a recruitment company. They entice you to join with a promise of salary. Howver after the so called training, you get a little bit of pay bonus. They you have to invest money to work the so called data enhancement of merchants products. It is done quite easily. How ever they have this action called a combonation task. (Combo) This where the trap is. It is applied randomly (So they say). You have to put more money in to get past this. It does increase the commission you earn. Each time you get a combo it goes up. I got stung big time as the 3rd combo was ridiculous and in no way could I afford it. I lost a substantial amount of money as I couldn't fullfil the amount requested! 

In the training & terms they mention the combo tasks, however there is no warnings or disclaimers of how much these combos can go to. 

It sounds good when they are explaining it. My advice, stay away unless you have bucket loads of back up cash for when the system gets out of hand asking for big amounts! 

Edited by Bagwain

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the DES Ministry has quickened its investigation

You mean they were not really doing their job before....or have more resources been allocated....and if so, from where?

Just demanding action is no more than headline grabbing.