Does your wife/partner work

poppysdad

Just curious as to how many expats have wives/partners who go out to work. Does it bother you that they do, what do you do in their absence, do you feel lonely at all because of it or indeed do you welcome it to have time alone.

My wife has her own business in a market and seemingly does quite well with it, she leaves home around 2:30-3pm and returns home between 8:30-9. We do whatever we want to do together in the mornings and early afternoon. She does take the occasional day off if we want to go somewhere special or out for dinner in the evenings. I’m well used to being on my own as in my working life my job took me away from home regularly and I had to spend a lot of time in my own so it doesn’t really bother me at all. Health issues prevents me from being to adventurous so apart from the occasional walk around our malls and having a coffee I’m happy to stay home and potter around in the garden or watch a movie that I want to watch. How do others pass the time?

• Like 2

Just now, Celsius said:

Wife works for international company and so did a previous wife. 

Why would I want a lazy partner flipping the phone all day? I don't give her 1 baht.

The only problem is the current wife got a work from home job, so I don't have the space for myself. 

I am not a needy male cuck.

nice one mate. you are winning at life ;) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

nice one mate. you are winning at life ;) 

I dunno if I am winning. 

I have a feeling that the company that hired her will soon realize that Thailand economy is in shambles. It is truly awful. She is now too old (43) to get hired in Thailand.

Fortunately we have the escape plan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

My wife runs her own business from home, the last three months of each year plus January are her busy time when she makes 75% of her annual profit. 5am until 11pm, seven days a week , I literally have to demand she takes time off for herself/us. Fortunately she enjoys it enormously.

If she makes 75% of her profits in those months, she should just not do it at all in X months a year as well. That is a super good deal. I remember a Italian selling ice cream in the high season making enough in 4-5 months to then live here on 3-4K euro a month the rest of the year, similar hours.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Just curious as to how many expats have wives/partners who go out to work. Does it bother you that they do, what do you do in their absence, do you feel lonely at all because of it or indeed do you welcome it to have time alone.

My wife has her own business in a market and seemingly does quite well with it, she leaves home around 2:30-3pm and returns home between 8:30-9. We do whatever we want to do together in the mornings and early afternoon. She does take the occasional day off if we want to go somewhere special or out for dinner in the evenings. I’m well used to being on my own as in my working life my job took me away from home regularly and I had to spend a lot of time in my own so it doesn’t really bother me at all. Health issues prevents me from being to adventurous so apart from the occasional walk around our malls and having a coffee I’m happy to stay home and potter around in the garden or watch a movie that I want to watch. How do others pass the time?

I would want to jump from the waterfall if I would be together 24/7 for more than a few days. Be happy you have free time, do you not have any hobby's or friends? I can enjoy myself even just driving around on the motorbike, going to a coffeeshop, having some beers, go to see a movie, go to a sauna and swimming pool, meet up with some other guys + beers as well, go to have a bbq, or just spend time at home on the computer etc etc etc.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If she makes 75% of her profits in those months, she should just not do it at all in X months a year as well. That is a super good deal. I remember a Italian selling ice cream in the high season making enough in 4-5 months to then live here on 3-4K euro a month the rest of the year, similar hours.

That was the game plan initially but she's trying to grow it into a year round business.

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

That was the game plan initially but she's trying to grow it into a year round business.

Typical thai logic I assume, and let me guess, it does depend on tourists (as of the high season best earning months).

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

No, nothing to do with tourism at all. She has a bakery business that is very successful, her customer base is mostly middle/upper middle Thai's in Bangkok plus Thai businesses there also. The holiday season attracts gift givers who order literally hundreds of boxes of product as gifts for staff and wealthy Thai's who give the product as gifts. 

If she would only work in her hi season i'd say yes, successful. Otherwise it sounds more like insane, with those hours and days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Since living with me, it's a 24/7 job ... no salary :coffee1:

Before me; computer graphic design (clothing), Italian restaurant, and Thai restaurant

Ditto - plus she grows a lot of our vegies in backyard and sells/gives away some too - just enough, not too much.

She wanted a chicken or 2 - no thanks darling - too noisy and a lot of work.

• Like 1